X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyless Chuck, What Gives?

Hello, I have been lurking in this forum for about a month now, Actually trying to decided which drill to purchase. I finally went for the X2 14.4 Warranty, spec ,ergo, and the comments on this board help me to make my choice. So, I get home tinker with the drill a bit, recharge the the batteries and off to workin, I ckuck up a 3/8 square drive adapter(hex part is in chuck) I'm going to use the this new state of the art drill/driver to install a few lag bolts using a 3/8 drive 1/2 inch socket, holes are already pilot drilled. I run two down until they hit the clutch setting then the 3/8 adapter/socket unchucks itself, I figure I must not have had it tight enough. I retighten do few more same thing.
    This was the routine for the remaining bolts.
    I know this is a jacobs issue should I take it back to HD or would it be better to get Ridgid to send me another chuck? Has anyone else had issues like this. Other than the chuck issue, the drill seemed pretty good. Oh yeah, Iv'e owned Dewalt, Makita, Snap-On(suoix)Cordless drills and none of the jacobs chucks on these drills auto disengaged.

Just pounded a bunch of 1/4 inch holes in my floor and didn't have a problem. The battery died fairly fast but it was the first charge and that's to be expected. I do tighten the chuck in several clicks. John

Comment

Drilling dosen't seem to be a problem. It's when the Clutch hits it's limit, starts the racheting action which in turn causes the chuck to disengage. You really have to try it on the higher torque setting say up around 18-22 that's what I was using to set the lag bolts today.

I guess worse case, I'll just keep returning the Drill until I get a chuck that can do what it's suppose to. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

That is wierd. I was at home depot the other day too. They had Ridgid & DeWalt drills out with forstner bits so you could test them in a piece of scrap wood. I noticed similar thing. when I used Ridgid I kept hearing a click at the end of sawing. thought what apiece of junk and kept looking for the click. I finally narrowed it down to the chuck. Was doing what you mentioned. So I tested same scenario on the DeWalt and NO PROBLEMS.

Jake

Comment

Well, this weekend i'll try a few more checks to confirm the chucks operation with regards to remaining tight when it hits the torque/clutch preset.(19-22) If it still comes loose then back it goes, I have a two other drills I will use to compare, they just don't really have the brute torque that the 14.4 X2 does. Also, I saw another post concerning something very similar I'll also try this.
          Thanks. web page

Comment

Are you shure that you are tightining the chuck enough? After you feel it lock, turn it a little fartheruntil it's impossible. After it locks, it will turn a littletighter with a racheting action.

Comment

KeylessChuck,

My Ryobi 12V does the same thing,I wonder if the chuck's are the same?

Comment

I am sure after all the complaints on the chuck there will be a change in the style of the chuck. there is alot of chucks to choose from. take dewalt and milw. they use several differant chucks and are changeing them every year. so maybe ridge will warranty a change on a new chuck. milw. at this time has one of the best chucks, the loc-tor chuck. but like i saide that can change at any time during the year with so much compotition out there.

Comment

I found a 14.4 at the local HD that had a little stiffer lock detent on the chuck,exchanged took it home and guess what. I can now drive my lag screws in hit the torque setting and the socket and adapter stays chucked up. Now the Bad, this chuck has excessive runout. with a standard jobber style drill bit #10 it wobbles about 1/32 I hate drilling triangular holes. Back it goes I would rather have the other problem than runout.
                  what a drag it's really a good product (I hope).

Comment

Working...
                  X