X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cordless Recip. and Circ. saw

I was walking around my local HD this weekend 8-28-04 and notice a cart full of new Ridgid Cordless Recipricating saws and Circular saws. This is good to see that Ridgid has decided to allow you to buy these seperate, but with a price tag of $199 sounds a little steep. The ones I saw were 18 volts, I am wondering if they plan to come out with some 14.4 volt models also.

A lot of people have been asking for these so I hope what you say is true. I couldn't find on the website though.

Welcome to the forum.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

It's true [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

It is true. 18 volt models only - same as found in the combo kits. Information on these stand alone items will be coming to the web site soon.

Comment

Hey Brandman when will the 18V impact gun be hitting the store shelves. I know it may take a bit longer to create a real one

Comment

It's pretty sad that this is the first I have heard of these items coming into the stores. Especially since I am the Hardware manager in my store. Then again in my 15 plus years with the company, communication between the buying offices and the stores have never been that great.
            Jeff

Comment

Isn't it sad Cuj0HD that the employees are always the last people to know of new tools.

I haven't gotten those saws in my store yet but i thought they would be comming. and $199 is the right price for it. All the comparable Dewalt are the same price. It just goes to show the Combo Kits are definatly the way to go.

Comment

$199 is the right price for it. All the comparable Dewalt are the same price. It just goes to show the Combo Kits are definatly the way to go.
                It doesn't need to cost $199 if sold bare (no charger or battery). If you just need a replacement tool or want to add to a collection you shouldn't have to buy more batteries and chargers. For comparison, I was able to buy a brand new CS for $67 delivered on ebay.

It would make more sense to package everything separate and offer discounts on batteries and chargers with purchase of tools. Then people could build whatever combos they wanted. For instance, I would have liked to buy the 12V non-X2 drill with MaxHC batteries and no charger.

Comment

Offering everything seperatly really doesn't make sense when you look at things from an inventory standpoint. When someone generally buys a stand alone tool, they need batteries with it. Even if those who already had a combo kit bought the new tool, they may need a battery because their other tools still get plenty of use, or someone else will be using one at the same time. Also, it creates an inventory/sales problem with discounts vs regular price on merchandise as well as more cost in packaging everything seperatlely.

The stuff you buy on eBay without batteries is from a kit that someone took apart because the parts cost more seperatlely than they do together. DW, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Bosch and others wouldn't be able to sell their tools for as little money if they didn't come with the batteries as the atteries makes them the most money.

Comment

I agree with Mike3206's logic. Besides, if they were to offer everything seperately someone would be sure to complain about that now wouldn't they.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Sorry, Mike's logic doesn't make sense to me. HD already stocks batteries and chargers as well as 3 varieties of 18V hammer drills - stand alone kits, 3ps combos, 4 pc combos. Now the same will be true for the CS and RS. Selling "value packages" instead of all-in-one kits means you don't have to stock expensive combos. HD would have to stock larger quantities of batteries but I see that as a benefit to the consumer since the stock will be turned over quicker. Batteries that sit on the shelf for a year or more may never charge properly. As for the discount, that should be programmed in the computer. Scanning a tool simply applies the discount to accessories. Even a HD trainee should be able to handle that. If not, they could try recruiting from Burger King.

Thank god I'm not in retail. If a customer complained to me that its too confusing to buy a combo kit that doesn't all come in one box, I'd probably ask them what the hell they were doing looking at power tools anyway.

Comment

Well, we got our new saws in on Wednesday and I sold two RS the first day. So I guess the price wasn't too bad. I can't wait to get the Impact Driver in though.

And BB, It really amuses me how you can't seem to make a post without slipping in some remark about how stupid the HD employees are. Makes me wonder why you shop there at all.

[ 09-04-2004, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Cuj0HD ]
                        Jeff

Comment

BB, It really amuses me how you can't seem to make a post without slipping in some remark about how stupid the HD employees are. Makes me wonder why you shop there at all.
                          An amusing comment itself Jeff since I had never posted a negative comment about HD or its employees before. In this case I made an exception. When someone speaking from the retail perspective tells me that offering the consumer more choice is not a good idea because it would be too difficult, and then attempts to back the claim up with arguments that don't hold water, I feel compelled to point out an example of a retailer that can handle it. And don't get me wrong. I was not using Burger King as negative example. The BKs in my town are clean, well managed, have never made a mistake with my order, and can sell me a "combo" with my choice of beverage and sides in any size I want.

I'm sorry have even responded to this again, but Jeff you apparently have me confused with someone else. And Mike, I just don't think the consumer should offered less choice for the convenience of the retailer. That's really a peeve of mine and I'm sorry if you took offense to the BK comparison. But I have to say that if you told me that as a salesperson you would not make the sale.

Comment

Well I guess I misunderstood your your post, and for that I apologize. The BK's down here are not quite a good as they are up there.
                            Jeff

Comment

I'm glad to see these new tools but, I would like to see these same tools offered in 14.4 volt option. I own a 14.4 volt X2 1/2 inch drill and it fits what I use it for perfectly. I would hate to have to mix and match tools and spend extra money for 18 volt when it really isnt practical. the worse thing you'll lose is battery run time but if I knew this would be a problem i would have bought a 18 volt kit. and I would hope that the Impact driver would come in various voltages as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X