X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tools

Hi everyone. I was just wondering. I'm very new to the tool game and I need some advice on what to buy. I'm down here In Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I have HD's all over the place. I saw the Ridgid line down here and want to purchase some of the tools so that I can build basically anything I want for the house or for general projects. I want a tool that I can use for the basics and the big jobs. Any advice anyone could give me on the best tools that they think are out there would be fantastic.

Thanks a lot.

First qualify the tool with the job you are going to do. If you are just going to use them around the house or in the shop, then you don't really need to spend the extra money on a 18v drill so to speak. Talk to the tool guy at your local HD. Most of them will guide you in the right direction as far as what you need to do the job.
    Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Although I do see your point and respect it I really want these tools for a lot more than what I'm going to need them for right now. I need to have them for the bigger jobs like outdoor jobs with decks and playground equipment as well as the smaller jobs such as making furniture and stuff like that. As well as the fact that I have been reading the posts on the Warranty nightmares that everyone has been having with the Ridgid line. I often think that I should just be using DeWalt or something else.

Thanks

Comment

I'm not sure the word "everyone" has a place in any mention of Ridgid's warranty services. Not "everyone," even on this forum, is having problems with Ridgid's warranty service. Personally, I don't know anything about Ridgid's warranty service except as secondhand information, and I've read favorable comments on this board as well as unfavorable. IMO the jury's still out on both the long-term reliability of Ridgid power tools, and their subsequent warranty service. In the spirit of "everyone," I offer two statements which, I hereby testify, are completely true.

1) I have never had a Ridgid power tool returned to my store, or mentioned to me as having failed.

2) My return rate on DeWalt tools exceeds that of Ridgid tools by orders of magnitude.

Both of the above statements are absolutely true, yet, absent context, are entirely misleading. Being kind, all of the adverse statements you read on this board about Ridgid warranty service are absolutely true, but are equally lacking in context.

[ 11-30-2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: SuperDave ]

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know the stories on the warranty issue has been varied quite a bit. Perhaps I will have better stories to tell from down here (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) and I can relate them to all of you. I might have better luck with some of the issues and I might not, who know's. You roll the dice and you takes your chances.

Thanks

Comment

SuperDave - I'm by no means a DeWalt fan, but since you brought up the point about facts being taken out of context, isn't it fair to mention DeWalt's 30 day no questions asked return policy? The stories I've heard (not necessarily fact), are that many of the returns are from not-so-scrupulous characters who buy a DeWalt tool for their weekend projects then return them when they're done. Another question that might help shed light on whether or not those stories are true - what is the defect rate of those DeWalt tools compared to others?

Comment

I see plenty of "rented" tools being returned after the job is done. The worst culprits are power washers and nailers, but we get other power tools, too. The 30-day no-question return is Home Depot policy also, and I exercise it pretty liberally. I've only refused one return - a Makita drill that was completely trashed, and the guy claimed it was nearly new - but that was a little outside the 30 days.

It's just part of the cost of doing business.

Comment

Eh SD good call on the Mikita return snub. Glad to see that people like that who attempt to gorge the industry just to get a weekend project done under the wire are being kept under wraps by guys like you----> Good Stuff. So I got this 5 star rating and I have been mentioning the fact that I don't even own a power tool yet but when I do I will be letting everyone know my opinion about them and hopefully my opinion will be a little more varied with regards to performance and general warranty experience. I really want the tools to perform well under moderate to heavy workloads with little or no accidental or intentional abuse due to frustration and whatever else. I really can't wait and to be quite honest I think every guy should own a power tool or at least have operated one enough to recognize one then they see it. I love this forum because I can get the varied opinion that I value to make an informed decision about what I want.

Thanks

Comment

Jones 31
                  Buy the best and leave the rest. That's my model.
                  Get the best you can afford without your wife nagging you or getting a divorce.

Comment

Thanks for the tip bud. I want to get the best. By the way I'm not married and my girlfriend already got all nervous when I told her what I wanted to do. I happen to be a little bad with money but I'm attempting to prove her wrong and have done so. I have $1500.00 in the money pile in the bank but have intentions of only picking up something inexpensive right now. Hopefully the X2 18 Volt Hammer Drill but they don't have the Drill by itself down here. I have to get the thing in the combo kit with the cordless Circ Saw which I don't want (Cordless is better for that Power Tool).

Thanks

Comment

I bought the Ridgid 18v 3 pc. combo in late October, and can tell you that I'm very pleased with it. I use the saw only occasionally, and it seems fairly good at working within it's strengths -- thinner materials, portability, and light weight. The flashlight has seen little use, but I'm sure it'll come in handy some day.

The star of this set-up and my reason for buying it is the drill. Prior to the Ridgid becoming available, I was all ready to pony up the $400 CDN for the Milwaukee.....so I took the minor risk of going with the unknown Ridgid for $469 CDN for the set.. I'm using it professionally -- initially for building decking and fencing, and currently a large indoor project entailing a fair amount of hammer drilling, steel framing and drywall. We have two Milwaukee 18v hammerdrills on the site as well, and I can say that the Ridgid is performing pretty much identically to them except in one area: battery life. I get a full day most days from an X2 battery; my colleagues are getting about a half day out of their Milwaukee batteries.

So far, I'm quite happy. And the Lifetime Warranty is a bonus. But I have to say that it's a great product without that warranty and should be considered an equal to the Milwaukees (one of which has broken down 2 months after purchase.

Comment

Working...
                      X