No announcement yet.

TS3650 - Is it generally a solid saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys for all your input. I will go to my local woodcrafters store and see what they have on display. I am still debating slightly to upgrading my options higher than this saw by looking at the dewalt hybrid. However, someone mentioned that with the dewalt, you are paying a bit more for the name. At the same time, i am not sure I want to move all the way up to the $900.00 range either... I know how important good quality tools are, but I have to draw the line some place. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

m00n - you don't have to go all that way to get a good saw. As many have stated - many out there that will do job and you actually get to return home with some cash in wallet.

You will find that the DW is a bank breakers too.
      General may be a great solution - it's a much beloved machine by all who own it.

Happy shopping
      Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

m00n - just got back from quick run to HD to grab some screws and talked to guy I been doing business with for long time there. He's been told they having another tool sale coming up - was unsure exact dates or amount of discount involved at this point but they are expecting large shipments of things and they have to make room for things which just thrilled him of course

If time is not critical it may be worth waiting another week or 2 and see what happens there. 20% off it _ if happened again _ would be great. Even better if it happens before end of month with longer warranty.

He was dead on in December sale and gave me a heads up few times before so I do have some faith in what he says.
        Anyway - wanted to toss this at you FWIT

Comment

Cranky, thank's so much for the tip!!! Time is not too important. Just that if I do choose this saw i would like to get the lifetime warrante with it is all.

Just a FYI, I just spoke to someone at woodcraft, he informed me that they will be having an anual 10% discount on all times I think he said Feb/29th? Something like that.

Comment

Soooo... I am doing some diggine around the forum here and I am reading some posts down in the Tips and Techniques area.

I must confess that I am a bit curious about the strength of the legs. Not saying that is would happen but, what comes to mind is trying to make a cut with a bit sheet of plywood, something heavy and the legs twist and buckel... That just says disaster to me. Am I being a little too dramatic here or is this a possibility?

Also as far as the motor is concerned, how do I tell if it has issues. Not having the experiance that some of you have puts me at a read dissadvantage to finding these types of issues.

[ 01-21-2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: m00n ]

Comment

I am not a ridgid supporter but as far as your issues worrying about leg buckling, I think your imagination is getting a little wild on that one. I think the concern was a little twisting when moving a heavy wood i.e. a sheat of dense / heavy wood may have some slight movement in the frame.

Regarding the motors, I see them as an unproven entity. They used to be made by emmerson but emmerson got out of the tool making business. Nobody really knows who oversees quality of them b/c Ridgid had major transfer of ownership / manufacturing not too long ago and some of us are waiting for time to set in to decide on quality & longevity of the tool.

All manufacturers will have a defect from time to time, it's part of the manufacturing process moreso today than in the past b/c tools used to be made on mainland. B/c of competition, tools are mostly being made oversees. This is good b/c we can afford them but mfr glitches come up a bit more often. Even the nicest sawas can have issues come up, but the important thing is how they handle the issue. I bought a 850 dollar Powermatic Contractor saw that came in great condition except one part of my 50 inch rails was bent. They sent me a new one in the mail next day. Was bent again, and my dealer swapped it out with a straight one. my guess is both my rails came from the same batch and somehow a bent batch went out. But the company made sure I got a quality product and was happy.

I also know that mfr I chose will continue that service if I have any problems like a motor issue beyond 90 days and even years from now b/c they have a proven history of providing this type of service. Part of why I chose them.

Most saws in the 600 dollar range and up should last 30 - 50 years or more for a weekend warrior / home improvement guy who doesn't grind em 8 hours a day. Many could handle many years of production work as well.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by m00n:
                Soooo... I am doing some diggine around the forum here and I am reading some posts down in the Tips and Techniques area.

I must confess that I am a bit curious about the strength of the legs. Not saying that is would happen but, what comes to mind is trying to make a cut with a bit sheet of plywood, something heavy and the legs twist and buckel... That just says disaster to me. Am I being a little too dramatic here or is this a possibility?

Also as far as the motor is concerned, how do I tell if it has issues. Not having the experiance that some of you have puts me at a read dissadvantage to finding these types of issues.
                I think the leg flex is "unbelievably" exaggerated and overblown. I was one of first to actually reference it if you look way back - and it was me who said I'd add that long since removed angle iron cross brace - and it was due to not setting up solidly with regard to lift and not the actual saw.

Someone else also stated something - I believe that too was lift related ---- and then it was so grossly "I heard or someone said" misreferenced and blown out of factual proportion it started WWIII and then WWIV

Well - all one needs to do is read history here and you'll see ALL of it.Worst part is I made mistake about posting this flex questions and resolution---ME. ME. I should have been shot for this

That's what we mainly do in our shop - cut tons of different kinds of ply on one of the 3650's. It's set to slice 4x8's with outfeed table. The other is used for cutting of everything else. Over a week period I'd wager we cut up more ply than most hobbiest/casual users do in a year. I can assure you the legs are not a problem in strength. Popping a sheet on by myself by literally dropping it on (NOT recommended on any saw)as I have done on "weakened occaison" I have felt a slight shudder but that is almost abuse of a ts.

Motor - well, we never know how any motor will perform until we turn it on. Not meant to be smart "reared" comment at all. I've heard of a bad motor on every product imaginable I think by now. Sometimes it happens.

Having said that I think (?) what you are referencing is the "long screw" thing. I believe it was the 2 saws but someone will correct me if wrong. A couple of screws replaced - that was it.
                I have not heard of a motor failure - has anyone here? Feel free to correct me anyone but I don't think this has in fact happened.

The motor is _ as some have said above _ not an Emerson as they were on older model. Would I prefer it to be - I guess maybe. I don't put quite the faith as some do that the Emerson is the best motor out there but it is very good. Frankly we don't know how this one will hold up over the next 5-10 years. But we also don't know how any individual Emerson will either. All I care about is if it's warrantied and that it gets remedied if something should ever happen. Afterthought - Heck for all one knows the specs could be the same as the old motor>>>> they could be could be identical even. We don't know is all I can say. And the General is also in same scenario - most are. Enough on that.

I really am not trying to build up the 3650 - like I have said before - at full retail I'd look to General because of better fence. Assuming one is willing to spend the extra $$$ difference which is more than $50-60 if you need the mobile base. More still if shipping involved. I make it out to be actually closer to $180 and change if these things factored in. Gets a better fence and more hp by 1/2. Track record too. But - $180 would likely get the fence later too if desired.

Get's way to complicated ...... so many factors. I am beat - good night gang

[ 01-22-2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Cranky ]

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky:
                  Jake - you still up too-get some zzzz's

Your post wasn't here when I started mine and beat me to post. Just saw it - now I looked at my "time" listed and the thing says after 10pm - it's actually exactly 9:18pm here in MN, I in TC's tonight -hows this work????
                  At ya tomorrow

Comment

I have looked at a few saws now
                    Dewalt
                    Jet
                    Craftsmen
                    Delta

And the price/quality; best bang for the buck just seems to be the ridgid. I am really impressed with this. Even the Jet $750.00 saw with it's stock arm could not compair to the value of the Ridgid and it's stock arm. The Jets arm moved when you pressed on it, the Ridgid does not...

As far as grizzly and universal? Well, I have not been able to actually see one yet. That's something that's important to me. I very much value the heads up to look that direction, but I really want to see and feel the saw before I plunk down that kind of money. I hope you can understand.

I think I am sold. I am about 95% positive the Ridgid 3650 is what I am getting.

As far as the motor goes, my dad is an electrician, he should be able to help me out with the motor... Heck knowing him he would have something laying around that is more powerfull and tell me to take it and hook it up.

The legs? Well, I trust that nothing bad will happen, perhaps my immagination was running wild. I just know how accidents seem to find me.

Oh and thank you guys so much for answering all my newbie questions! It's been a great help.

I really think this is going to be the best price/performance saw for me. Sure I can afford more, but I don't want to. I am not even a weekend warrier yet.

Oh yeah, the Jet... I was at the store tonight where it was on display. Neither tinnioning (sp?) jig would even slide down the miter slot... For that matter neither jig would slide down either miter slot and they were supposed to be for that saw table...

[ 01-21-2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: m00n ]

Comment

I do not know where you are located in OR but maybe there is a General distributer near to look at their model also. Even if it means a short drive. Great ts.
                      Rigid is good choice also. As covered here - General does have some advantages and if dealer is close to you all the better.
                      Here's a link to check

http://www.general.ca/english/main.html

http://www.general.ca/product/inter/50175an.html

Re: Jet at store. It is sad fact that most stores cannot seem to grasp concept they need to set up things properly. They deserve to lose customers in manner in which they often do these things-it is incredible. Is it that hard to get it right? Guess so.

I appreciate the last comment you made on abilty vs desire to pay more. All the above choices are good saws yet the money one can save and use in other things required is indeed a consideration.
                      And the 3650 will cut well and suit most woodworkers just fine.

[ 01-22-2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Smokin'Joe ]
                      \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

Joe this is the second time I'm agreeing with you in a row.. LOL

It is sad hwo people set up tools and make em look like junk. Ever see a delta at Blain's farm & fleet. Looks like junky junk there and beautiful at woodcraft. Go figure.

Curious what saw you saw for 750. If you saw the jetfence, I noticed there can be a little play on the back of the fence when not set up PERFECTLY. If you saw the Jet with Exacta fence, it was set up entirely wrong. You can take a sledge hammer to back of those puppies to get them to move any bit. They're based on saem design as Bies. If you can get a chance to see a biesmeyer they should be available at specialty woodstores. Woodcraft, rockler maybe. I live in chicago area and called Powermatic's 800 number to get a hold of a dealer. I asked if they had the saw I was considering in stock setup adn they did. * I did get misdirected 2 times from PM operator before I got to the right guy *

Bies / Incra and a couple other aftermarket fences are significantly different than ridgids with considerable advantages. They come as accessories for most jets / Deltas, standard on powermatics 64A. If you are considering a bies, you can pick them up on the saws listed for an extra 5- - 100 dollar upgrade.

If you bought later would be roughly a 300 dollar upgrade for any saw. Jetfence, never used, but I had some concerns when I toyed with them at stores. Most say you can line up accurately with them though.

Jake

Comment

It was actually at a woodcraft where I seen the Jet last night. It was this saw

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures
                          (sorry could not find Jet's website)

Prices at Woodcraft were as follows

Jet 708300K with stock fence = $749.99
                          Jet 708300K with Exacta fence = $899.99

Oh yeah I did see the beismeier. Nice fence for sure. Unless I can find a saw with the beis for less than 900.00, I am still favoring the Ridgid. The stock fence on the Ridgid that I have seen is far superior to any stock fence on any other saw that I have seen in it's price range. At least saws that I have physically seen and played with.

I will call around today and see of I can find a store that has a Grizz and or General. I would like to see those too before I make buy.

[ 01-22-2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: m00n ]

Comment

It was actually at a woodcraft where I seen the Jet last night. It was this saw

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures
                            (sorry could not find Jet's website)

Prices at Woodcraft were as follows

Jet 708300K with stock fence = $749.99
                            Jet 708300K with Exacta fence = $899.99

Oh yeah I did see the beismeier. Nice fence for sure. Unless I can find a saw with the beis for less than 900.00, I am still favoring the Ridgid. The stock fence on the Ridgid that I have seen is far superior to any stock fence on any other saw that I have seen in it's price range. At least saws that I have physically seen and played with.

I will call around today and see of I can find a store that has a Grizz and or General. I would like to see those too before I make buy.
                            m00n-the fence on the General is in fact a licensed clone of the Bies as they have paid for rights. This has been published in most reviews on these contractor saws.

Read the new grizzly is backordered - some have been waiting almost 3 weeks now. If this is concern that may put it out of decision process.

Jake is right on cost of adding later. Some have been able to buy much cheaper from remfg or scratch-dent sales I've seen posted. If this can be done always I cannot say

General dealer is in Portland - close to you?
                            When you decide and get one I'd appreciate knowing what one you bought.

Comment

When you decide and get one I'd appreciate knowing what one you bought. [/QB]
                              Yes, I actually live just outside of Portland city limits. It the outter ring of the subs. I didn't know there was a General dealer in town. I will definitly give them a call today.

Comment

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
                                When you decide and get one I'd appreciate knowing what one you bought.
                                Yes, I actually live just outside of Portland city limits. It the outter ring of the subs. I didn't know there was a General dealer in town. I will definitly give them a call today. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I see Portland Tool and Supply and a Barbo listed in the link above-click on distributors on left and US and then state. You are in luck it seems.
                                \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

Working...
                                X