• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
    Joe this is the second time I'm agreeing with you in a row.. LOL

Jake
    It's the water jake - the water

How that new PM of yours??? A friend of mine just ordered one with larger rails also.....5-7 days they told him so sometime late next week hopefully he's up and running too.

Did you put yours up on a mobile base? He's thinking of doing it or even not using legs and mounting on big table type set-up with outfeed. If he does that I would think he's giving up mobility or at very least making it a PITA to do. Outfeed and big rails - need lots of room to do a full swing. Base sounds easier and done with it

What's up o'er there with you? Read above on forum - it was there still. They do get real fickle there don't they. Visited maybe twice since I've been back - something's different or posters changed? Maybe me - days adding up on my health calendar unfortunately.
    Take care
    \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

I must say that I'm absolutly in awe that people are being so honest on this board.

I just went to the general website and yes I noticed the two location nearby. Should not take more than 20 minutes to get to either. I'll DEFINITLY check out the General before I make any purchases.

BTW, I am not sure exactly how it works with hardware/tools and what not, but I know in the audio world you can generally dicker with the dealers and get better bargans.. Does the same apply for tools?

Comment

Glad you're at least giving the General a look-see---they're worth the time to consider.

As to dickering----it's been widely reported that there isn't much of a mark-up on stationary tools, so a dealer may not have a lot of room to play-----However, doesn't hurt to ask.

What I'd do is go in and explain that you're a new woodworker, starting to put together a shop (read---if you treat me right I'll be back ).
        When you focus in on the saw (if that's what you decide on) first ask if they can do any better on the price----if no go-----the next approach is OK---how about throwing in a mobile base, dado insert, rip saw blade, etc.----whatever accessories you want now----if not free, bet you could get a sizable discount on the accessories.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave for the tips [img]smile.gif[/img]

Looking at this general, I notice that I can get either a left or right cut unit. Are there reasons why I would want to buy one over the other?

Comment

Looking at this general, I notice that I can get either a left or right cut unit. Are there reasons why I would want to buy one over the other? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Tilt is a personal preference in my opinion---a million threads and things been said pro-con.

Start here and decide what works best for you and if a sliding table will ever be used.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...fpart=all&vc=1

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=705449&Forum=A ll_Forums&Words=left%20tilt&Match=And&Searchpage=5 &Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=705449&Sear ch=true#Post705449

Do a search and you'll read more than you ever want to on this if you so desire. Weeks even worth of reading - and debate rages on.

A year ago some General dealers were said to have offered a small discount if they really hungry to move tools. Highly doubt it now as the currency exchange rates have done the dollar no good - rather than raise some prices they have toed the line on old prices tho which is nice.
            Margins always in the extra goodies they sell - these mobiles bases with $3-5 worth of steel in them sell at anywhere from $49 to $100 plus. Imagine that - buy 10 of these spendy bases and you'd have a Grizz 1023 CS. Yep - they make it on accessories. Way to much.

[ 01-22-2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Cranky ]
            Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Never seen a general in person, but it looks on that picture exactly the same structure as my powermatic 64A with a different coat of paint.. LOL

From switch mount to the base style to everything else. Different cranking handles, mitre guage, blade guard, probably motor too. I would guess the insides are a little different but if bet the casings roll off the same line.

Jake

Comment

60 pound difference on two saws too. Wonder where that's from?

Jake

Comment

Called the local General dealer here in town. Only one left as the other went out of biz. Anyway, said he is having a hard time keeping the GI in stock. They sell like hotcakes. Said a new shipment would be in around Feb/6th time frame.

Prices
                  ===========
                  30" Fence = 639.00
                  50" Fence = 749.00

Comment

Chip - The GI has a Biese fence and it's way under $900 ($650), plus it comes with a dado insert (LOL).

Jake - The guts on the GI look identical to the PM from what I can tell from looking.

Comment

I'd love to poke the two of them side by side, to see how similar / different they are but I'm guessing that'll probably never happen.

hmmpfff

Are there any general dealers in IL. Maybe I'll take some detailed pictures of my saw someday and visit a dealer just for kicks.

How is the finish on the cast iron? the Powermatic came mirror smooth. My delta bandsaw table has swirlmarks all over it?

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by m00n:
                        Called the local General dealer here in town. Only one left as the other went out of biz. Anyway, said he is having a hard time keeping the GI in stock. They sell like hotcakes. Said a new shipment would be in around Feb/6th time frame.

Prices
                        ===========
                        30" Fence = 639.00
                        50" Fence = 749.00
                        It's been same in this area too. Maybe they don't order enough to start with as independent stores -and then the few distributors that are here seem to be only scattered and when one goes "away" the rest get really over-taxed. You can look at it from a different perspective - they are selling!

Those prices are close to around here. At least if you were to get one you'd not have to deal with the big shipping bill and only have base to add into cost.

Are you heading over to look at it then? May at least put your mind at ease in decision and not second guess either way later

Comment

If they are selling like hotcakes, how come the other dealer went out of business.. LOL

That makes ALOT of sense.

Jake

Comment

Jake/Cranky - The surfaces on the GI are about the same as the PM64a, not quite as reflective as the PM66, but nice. I swear, the two saws are made in the same plant. After a year of "memorizing" my saw, when I go into a dealer and see a PM, the biggest differences are the blade guard and the miter gauge. There are minor differences in the fences, but are pretty similar in design and are functionally about equal.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood:
                              Chip - The GI has a Biese fence and it's way under $900 ($650), plus it comes with a dado insert (LOL).

Jake - The guts on the GI look identical to the PM from what I can tell from looking.
                              hewood - I know they license the bies and have rights. The ones I have seen never actually state bies on them but just a grab and lock and it's apparent as heck.

"guts" - they do huh? It'd be fun to gut all these things and do a looksy. So many appear similar on all tools. Especially these bandsaws -paint 'em this or that and relabel and sell the HF as a Jet! Now tha'd be some kinda profit - heck with the labeled small margin things

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
                                If they are selling like hotcakes, how come the other dealer went out of business.. LOL

That makes ALOT of sense.

Jake
                                (whispered to Jake) it was those dang Delta and other brands that they had to floor plan and don't sell so fast ...... carrying the paper killed 'em.

The 2 I have seen go under actually sold pretty much all brands . One was into reselling used stuff too.Both were independent stores and while big they really didn't seem to be able to offer much in way of discounts. Or elected not to, dunno. It's hard to compete with the BORG's on prices for mainstream stuff and how many big ticket items can these places turn anyway? It's a tough business.

Comment

Working...
                                X