TS3650 - Is it generally a solid saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys know what?

I have 3 bolts and 3 nuts left over. I don't know where they go. Ohhhhh LOL! This aint good cause I have no desire to go back and try to figure out where they go.

You know... I was asked by someone to report how it went. I must say I really like the saw, BUT the instruction manual needs a LOT of work.

Comment

Moon,

From what I hear from other tool owners. THEY ALL DO.

I don't thing the folks that write technical manuals for these tools have ever put together a saw. A well tuned saw has become a RIGHT OF PASSAGE. Besides, how could they sell so many table saw books if it were EASY.

Jake

Comment

M [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] N,
        The 3 nuts and bolts are for attaching an aux fence. It's in the manual. pg 52 I believe. I have heard that Ridgid assembly manuals are among the best out there, so if you don't like the Ridgid manual, you're gonna hate the other ones. So, enough of that. How's that puppy run? Made any sawdust yet?
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Phew, good to know about the extra bolts.

Oh yeah, I have made some sawdust. Saw cuts VERY nice. First time I have ever used a tablesaw so I have nothing to compaire it to but damn, smooth as butter going through some 1/2 pine. Don't have any hard wood to run over it yet.

All in all. I am very happy I purchased this saw over the GI. It's saved me a little money and I am perfectly happy with this saw.

Comment

m00n

The manual definitely is lacking. One of the posts claimed he set up the saw in 3 hours. I don't know how. I spent 15 minutes myself just reading through the manual to find out what the 3 bolts were for. The rails and fence took me at least 2 hours. After shimming the rails per instructions, the fence was tighter on one end that the other. I should have known that process wouldn't work since it doesn't guarantee the rails will be parallel. Unfortunately they don't warn you of that until the rip fence instructions and then they only say "more shimming may be required". The second time around, I started with 2 shims at each bolt in the center section so the rail would defintely clear the extensions and then bolted up just the center. The rails measured straight and parallel at that point so I could accurately measure the shim thickness at the extension bolts. Unfortunately there weren't quite enough shims supplied for this process so I had to get some more. While I was at it, I drilled a new hole in the extension to relocate the right, front rail bolt out near the end to better support the rail.

The only reason shimming is required is because the extensions are not machined perfectly square. It would simplify things to make the extensions slightly smaller than the main table so there is no chance they will protrude. Then the rails could be bolted directly to the main table with shims only on the extensions. If the table is machined parallel, the rails will be parallel.

Comment

The manual does leave a tiny bit to be desired but having stated that I think it's the one of best manuals I have ever seen from a manufacture. That doesn't say a lot for the vast majority of them now, does it!

Setup will vary with user and if they've done setup of equipment in past. 3-4 hours is realistic IMO and then additional fine tuning after some cuts to be expected.

Be happy - at least you had some extra parts. More is always better. Nothing more irritating than trying to assemble something and the parts bag short........doesn't cost that much to add extra of everything for us fumble fingered assemblers.

Yep - extra is better

[ 01-26-2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Cranky ]
              Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

I got lucky, I didn't have to do any shimming. When I put my wings on, the back and fronts were aligned up perfactly and square.

As far as time to setup my saw? I took my time, "tried" to read the instructions as carefully as possible. I would say it took me about 5~6 hours. Yeah I know it took a while but at least I know it's put together right.

[ 01-26-2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: m00n ]

Comment

Working...
                X