X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime Warranty??

Can someone help me here, maybe I missed something. I've been reading the forums here for a while now and I see where people are talking about a "lifetime" warranty on Ridgid cordless tools. I just read all the manuals that came with my R922 kit and all I see is a limited 3 year warranty. Also I can't seem to find any information regarding the replacement warranty for the batteries.

THAT WAS A SHORT RUN PROMO AT THE END OF 2003. I PURCHASED A 18 VOLT HAMMER DRILL AT THAT TIME JUST FOR THE WARRANTY. HAVEN'T EVEN TAKEN IT OUT OF THE BOX YET. EVEN THE BATTERY IS LIFETIME. NO ONE WAS ABLE TO TELL ME HOW TO CASH IN ON IT. SOME POST THAT IT HAS TAKEN MONTHS TO REPLACE PARTS. FINALLY GIVEN HIM A REBUILT UNIT.
    3 YEARS IS STILL PRETTY GOOD TOO.

Comment

I'm sorry that I can't help much with the battery warranty, although it should be posted somewhere here on the board, but with regard to the "limited lifetime warranty" that you have been reading so much about, let me explain:

In late summer of 2003, it was announced that Ridgid had a new line of "professional" grade power tools. Before that time, I believe the Ridgid brand name was applied to its plumbing, vacuum, and stationary power tools. However, Emerson Electric (Ridgid's parent company) decided that it no longer wished to manufacture any of its stationary (woodworking-type) power tools and it licensed its designs and trademark to Tectronics International (TTI is Ryobi's parent company). At that time (summer of 2003) TTI, under the Ridgid name brand, announced a whole new line of "professional grade" power tools. It also took over the manufacturing of Ridgid stationary woodworking tools (much of which it already did under contract from Ridgid). The primary distinction between the old tools and the new is the color. The old Ridgid stationary tools were gray with orange trim and the new tools are orange with gray trim. I do not believe there were any portable power tools, like drills, saws, etc. before this license with TTI. Also, it is important to note that Ridgid and Emerson still make the plumbing tools, vacuums, and other non-woodworking tools and do not use TTI for that.

As it has been explained here on the board, and as I understand it, since these tools represented a new design and/or product marketing theme, it was felt that a limited lifetime "service" warranty should be offered in order to gain market penetration and establish trust in the product. I'm not exactly sure of the starting date, but I believe the introductory period was between Sept. 1, 2003 through January 31, 2004. If you purchased any Ridgid portable or stationary power tool during that period, you werer given a limited lifetime service warranty on that tool. The motor covered all components including motors, brushes, bearings, chucks, switches, etc. and even batteries!

What followed is surely a lot of what you have read. Mostly arguments about quality, whether the tool's "life" was over when a major component failed, etc., etc., etc. In many cases, people have felt that the warranty meant they could simply return the tool to Home Depot for a new replacement (wrong... it isn't HD's warranty) or that they could basically beat the crap out of the tool and it would automatically be replaced (wrong, abuse voids the warranty). In any case, I think the warranty has been, and will long be, argued by many. The bottom line is that after that January 31, 2003 date, the warranty reverted to Ridgid's standard 3-year parts and service warranty and I personally think that is pretty decent.

The biggest problem that I see with either Ridgid warranty is simply a lack of parts, which results in the Service Center's inability to repair or respond in a satisfactory time frame. I think TTI and Ridgid have "fallen down" in that respect and should be working extremely hard to recover what, so far anyway, seems to be a growing marketing/service problem. Hopefully things are improving. From my limited point of view, the few Ridgid brand tools that I own are top-notch and haven't given me any sign of trouble, but then, I'm not using them in a day to day profession either.

One of the most critical things that you need to know though, is that either warranty will depend on your ability to produce a sales receipt, which HD prints on thermal paper. These will fade within several months and you'll end up with a blank piece of paper which is not a good thing for a warranty claim. So, make sure you make a copy or two for future use. I personally have discussed this with HD HQ in Atlanta and also with Ridgid Customer Service, so making a "copy" is okay and very important to the warranty process.

Hope this answers your question amd then some,

CWS

[ 01-31-2005, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

I think you pretty much summed it up nicely.
        Jeff

Comment

Working...
        X