I feel ripped off.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel ripped off.

wow are these tools ever frustrating!! I have been in this trade for around three years now. I am building my tool collection and was going to buy a combo kit. I will not complain about the circular saw. Anyone who says it sucks is forgetting its application. It is so handy on the roof or in a situtuation where there is hardly any power. But I would be lying if I said that I am satisfied with the charger(electrical short, bad connection) the drill (constantly stepping out of gear and horribly inconsistant clutch and chuck. The recip saw oh the recip saw. The quick release system is my largest of foes. I bought these tools on an apprentice wage looking for value. I admit I was sold on the warranty. But with all of these problems I can't find the time to take them back because I constantly need them. If I wasn't over the three month warranty I would definately be returning them. These tools should not be competing against Millwuakee and dewalt for price point. They are uncomparable.

If it is a HD purchase, and you have your receipt, they will take it back. I just did with a saw after 11 mos of frustration with alignments. Just a thought.

Comment

I work for a plumber who has been using the 18 volt combo kit HARD for several months. He previously owned Dewalt tools, and readily admits that the ridgid tools are far superior except for a slightly lesser battery life, most likely due to undercharging. The soft kit bag is his biggest gripe! I cant concur with everybody else's problem.

Comment

Jon - I don't have the expertise to discuss this issue intelligently, but was wondering if shear sales numbers have any bearing on the number of DeWalts you see? I also have an extremely high regard for Milwaukee, but would guess that DW outsells them by a wide margin. If their defect ratios were even (which I doubt), you'd still see more defective DWs.

Comment

It is a mystery to me why i see more dewalt than milw. i have to go price them to see. i know dewalt has a lot more models of cordless but they are all basically the same as the rest. i dont want to beat up on dewalt because they have some very good tools. every tool co. has at least 4 or5 very good tools. i was just in one of those 11 hour bad work days.

Comment

I spoke to a Home Depot manager a month or so ago who first told me, then showed me a copy of an e-mail. The e-mail came from Randy Light in Atlanta. He is the Global Tools Merchant for Depot. Meaning, he has control of just about every aspect of what is in a Depot tool corral.

Anyway, the e-mail stated that it was up to the individual store managements discretion, but Atlanta would no longer uniformally honor Ridgid returns past 90 days. It was suggested that the customer be shown respect, dignity, and be helped thoroughly to put them on the right track to a authorized service center. Basically, saying, no more returns.

Comment

Hank,

In your quote you reference an e mail that gave the stores direction on how to handle RIDGID customers. Since we work with the stores as well, I can tell you that this contradicts all communications that have been sent into the stores. Now, granted you saw an e mail shared by an associate. Can you tell me the city in which this store is located? I want to make sure that our representatives correctly inform the store of how to handle customers who have issues with RIDGID Equipment. Thanks in advance for the location information.

Originally posted by Hank404:
              I spoke to a Home Depot manager a month or so ago who first told me, then showed me a copy of an e-mail. The e-mail came from Randy Light in Atlanta. He is the Global Tools Merchant for Depot. Meaning, he has control of just about every aspect of what is in a Depot tool corral.

Anyway, the e-mail stated that it was up to the individual store managements discretion, but Atlanta would no longer uniformally honor Ridgid returns past 90 days. It was suggested that the customer be shown respect, dignity, and be helped thoroughly to put them on the right track to a authorized service center. Basically, saying, no more returns.

Comment

Have you tried Bosch tools? I have heard very good things about them, especially the Brute Tough line.

Comment

Llama:

I would be interested in what you have heard good from Bosch...I had a buddy of mine use it them and he returned them back because the drill was heavy, the battery life was not big enough for him...he is a plumber and could not run a 2 9/16 self feed more then 10 times without the battery going. In addition he said the recip saw was horrible...he currently owns a Ridgid Set and a DeWalt Set. He says they both run circles around bosch.

Comment

If you are drilling 10+ 2 9/16 holes then you need corded power. imho

btw, I have both Bosch and Ridgid here, and they weigh the same. Ridgid actually weighs a little more.

The Bosch recip is consistently rated #1 for CORDLESS recips. Milwaukee is the king of corded. The often overlooked feature on the Bosch is the 3/4" and 1 1/4" stroke length on one saw.

Comment

I have been using these tools hard for about 2 months now, no problems, I am a plumber and use a milwaukee right angle for drilling 2 9/16 holes, we ran out of power and I have to say that the ridgid drill isnt intended to do the work of the right angle, it still got the job done, I cant complain. btw, if anyone has used the milwaukee "hatchet" you know this is no better and costs too much, just a crappy recip, the 18v dewalt doesnt do too much better under hard use. If I am wrong then I am wrong.

Comment

"he is a plumber and could not run a 2 9/16 self feed more then 10 times without the battery going. ">>

Why would anyone even want to use a self feed more than 10 times without using a Hole Hawg or a Timberwolf?
                        D.M.

Comment

The reason he did that was to check the run time and torque of the drill. If you look under the 4 kit review post you will see what I did. I got more then ten times out of a bosch but it was nothing compared to other brands. I agree if you were going to do that much get a right angle drill. But the illustration is that the torque and run time on the bosch is signifcantly less then other brands.

Comment

Fair enough, I apologize if my last post came off rudely. It's just that a test like that does'nt prove a whole lot to me personally because the cordless drill was'nt being used for it's actual intended purposes in that test. I really would never use a straight cordless drill/driver of any voltage/torque specification if I had to use a large self feed for that many holes. Interesting nonetheless though that Bosch came out on the bottom of the list, though Bosch would not be my first choice by a long shot for a cordless drill (I'm partial to DeWalt then Milwaukee then perhaps Makita for these tools, Bosch perhaps for a corded jigsaw or router).
                            In reply to kahootz, I suppose it could be said that Milwaukee is the "king of corded recip saws" but in my 10 years experience working with plumbing and remodeling contractors I've seen that the Porter Cable Tiger saw is actually used and bought more. I have always sworn by the Milwaukee brand (probably because I used to work for Milwaukee Electric Tool when I lived in Milwaukee years ago in thier testing labs and was constantly impressed as to thier performance against comparable Makita tools which was the testing project I worked on but that's another story) but the PC corded saws are one of the toughest and longest lasting saws I have ever seen.
                            D.M.

Comment

As tough as the new Bosch tools undoubtedly are, and as nice as they look, I picked one of the 18 volt drills and found it uncomfortable in my hand.
                              The weight is not really an issue as much as the size of the handle, and the way it feels in your hand. The Milwaukee 18 volt is quite a bit heavier than my DeWalt 18 volt drill, but the size and shape of the hand grip make it more comfortable.

Every tool company has their ups and downs, and I am afraid that Ridgid cordless tools are not up to par with Dewalt or Milwaukee. Some of their other stuff is good, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X