18 Volts 4 pieces combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 Volts 4 pieces combo

Hi, everyone, I just purchased the Ridgid 4 pieces combo (18 volts) at Home Depot and I am reading all the reviews, messages online. some good and some bad. I seem like the life time warranty is not as good as they claim. Just want to get more input from all of you. I hope your input will help me to make a right decision to whether I shall keep it or return it. My old set is Roybi 2 pieces combo 14.4 volts drill and saw, the batteries are both dead. I am considering the Roybi 18 Volts 7 pieces set but I don't think the battery will last again.
    ridgid4piecescombo

What's your concern with the warranty? You have 90 days to decide if you like it or not. That'll tell you a lot more than we could. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I can say ridgid 4 that there are two things that bother me with Ridgid, one is in hot weather when I work my tools, my batterys go on stand by to cool off, so it takes more than a 1/2hour to charge,that charger fan don't seem to help.Thank God I got the rebait for the jig saw and battery so I have 3 now, but now sometimes I have a battery in the saws all, one in the skill saw, and one in the drill, wish I had another battery,but that aint my complant, I am very happy with my tools,(I have worked them hard)the only Bi+@& is 2 1/2 mo ago I sent them a reacept for that life time waranty, well they emailed me back and said it's all good so I waited and waited for something in my mail box,so last month I call them up and they say they are sending the waranty to me, well I have yet to see it.
      Back to the top.
      Im a carpenter and do alot of repairs and cordless is a must for me. I can work them hard and the Ridgid can keep up with me.About the Ryobi; I own the 5 set with 2 dead batterys also,I'll just say this, if you are gona work your tools just about every day stay with Ridgid, and if your a home owner just working around the house, Ryobi is the way to go, and the batterys are cheap.
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Be safe out there folks
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Bob, I have had the charging problem as well, it's been a rather hot summer up here this year. A small cooler with gel freezer packs works well for me. Some days it's over 100 in the shade so the battery never charges unless you have somewhere cooler to put it. I have the same problem with my 14.4 Dewalt in hot weather

Comment

Hi, Lorax, yes, my concern is the battery, I had bad experience with Roybi and both 14.4 volts batteries are dead and I stuck with the tools and the replacement battery is about $40, so, I am not planning to replace them sinece 14.4 is kind of lack of power. I am looking into 18 Volts now. If Ridgid will replace the dead battery in the future, then, it is worth to spend $400 for the set instead of $170 for a Roybi set. I just got through drilling some holes in my 4" thick sidewalk, one battery last about 13 holes. Is this about how long the battery can last?
          ridgid4piecescombo

Comment

Aloha, Bob Bridgewater, thanks for your input. I am not a contractor, I only do stuff around the house once in a while. Ridgid may be a liitle over kill but I figure out if my wife can spend thousands to buy diamond, why not for me to spend $400 on power tools, Ha Ha!! My biggest concern is if I do not use the tool that often, the battery may just go dead if I don't charge it up and let it sit for a few months. Any advises about how long I can let the battery sit without loosing its strength to hold the charge? Thanks
            ridgid4piecescombo

Comment

The 4 pc combo is now going to be a 5pc combo. My rep was in the store today to put rebate stickers on the remaining combo's that I have. All new stock will have the new tools in them. The 5 pc set will now come with an 18v impact driver also. The 3pc combo will now come with a right angle drill also. So if you are going to go with the 4pc combo make sure it has the peel off rebate on it for the impact.
              Jeff

Comment

Hi, Cuj0HD, do you remember what is the price for the 5 pieces combo? Does this one has the third battery too? Thanks
                ridgid4piecescombo

Comment

I would take it back while you still have the chance! I have owned my rigid 4 pc for over a year and have had nothing but problems. As of today I now will be replacing my second battery, my charger seems to have gone on the blink so I can only charge one battery at a time. The first battery I sent in they sent me 12 volt replacement instead of the 18 volt. The charger won't charge the batteries after the batteries have been used because they are to hot so the 1/2 hour stuff is bull. Once the batteries are charged they don't stay cahrged for more than 30 minutes with regular use, so I spend more time waiting on batteries than I do getting the job done.

Comment

The only problem I've had is the drill motor keeps burning up. I use it hard and often, and I have already been through 3 drills, and now my 4th just went dead. Besides that, they're great. Previously though, I was able to just take the drill to home depot and they'd exchange it. Now they're saying I have to send it to a repair shop, and the closest one is 4 hrs away, and they say they have a 4-5 week backlog.

Comment

Working...
                    X