Impact Wrench Calibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Wrench Calibration

Does anyone know of any simple ways to test the output of an impact wrench? I am trying to figure out what kind of torque my 150ft-lb impact wrench actually can apply.

Thanks.

67Chops

Not sure how accurate this will be but it should give you a ballpark idea. You could use a torque wrench to test if you have access to one that will go up high enough (mine goes to 150 ft lb).
    Slam the nut on with the gun then set the torque wrench to 150 ft lb and see if the nut moves before the torque limit is reached, if it does back off the torque setting until you find the torque limit.

Comment

Are you guys talking about an electric, pnumatic or cordless impact?
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I am talking electric.

Comment

chops,

Then I agree with wbrooks.

Comment

Just a note on the torque of electric impact wrenches. I do not remember where I heard this, but in order to achive the max torque with an impact wrench you must let it impact for 10 seconds after the nut has stop turning. Has anyone else heard about this? Also be aware that on cordless impact with Nicd batteries you will loose power as the battery runs down, so test it with a fully charged battery. I think the this is one of the benifits the the red guys are pushing with the lithium-ion batteries that there is no power drop from the first to the last impact.
            Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

I believe you are correct on both counts Dawg. With Nicad impacts what is tight enough on a flanged fitting for the first two fittings may not be tight enough on the next one as the impacts slowly get weaker with each use. That doesnt mean the Nicads are a bad tool, its just something to be aware of.

Comment

Not sure I understand how that works. If torque is a measure of rotational force how does the torque on a nut increase after it stops turning by hammering on it for another 10 sec?

Comment

Working...
                X