X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah,

I have the M48, too. Those were the post-war years, when labor was inexpensive and old world craftsmanship was revered. I have a Polish M44 Nagant carbine made in 1951. Superb workmanship on both.

I cannot say the same about the Yugo auto made near the end of the Communist era. I remember working on a few of them. They were copies of the Fiat, as with the Russian "Lada" or "Zhugli." Both had poor quality control.

Just saying that everyone produces good and bad. Rememeber the Datsun F-10? It was Nissan's first front wheel drive car imported to the US. It was an utter failure.

Generalities are for perliminary study. Suspend judgement and base every product on it's specific merits. Merry Christmas to you, too.

[ 12-24-2003, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: SatPro ]

Comment

I posted this in another forum but need to say it here. The milwaukee batteries are junk. They are so tempermental that you would think they were alive. By the way, read the fine print, the battery warranty is 1 year. I also had a run in with the regional northeast sales and service manager beacuse of a problem I had with the motor catching on fire on a cordless hammer drill. He explained to me that it is only considered a manufacturing defect if the motor burns out in the first few times you use the tool, otherwise it must be something I did to it. Want to buy any junk, leaking, not covered under warranty batteries for your set?

Comment

Interesting. I guess it goes to show that all tools, no matter what the warranty or the hype, have their share of problems. So far, I love the Mil cordless set. The drill is closer to the Panasonic than Dewalt or Ridgid in its precision and behaviour. There is no slap when it stops and it sounds like my electric razor. It seems to drill and drive screws effortlessly. As far as the battery, my only complaint so far is that they are VERY hard to get off. I intend to try applying a light film of grease. I think it is just the plastic binding, which should go away in a short time of use. I do recognize that the Mil batteries are warrantied for only 1 year. However, this is outweighed by the way the drill and saw work and feel compared to other brands, including Ridgid.

Comment

I've got the Milwaukee 5pc combo set, these are the best tools I have used,Drill will drive a screw right through a 2x, the sawzall is the best cordless there is, the circ saw powerful and light and the bag is plenty lare enough for all the tools and extra blades,the charger, 4 batteries and a bit kit. As for battery durability, Ive dropped 2 of the batteries 6 feet onto concrete and neither one was damaged (lucky ??)But yes one of them is a real pain in the a$$ to get off. I called Milwaukee and they said that the new ones were improved and that I must have a mixed set. I also have a 14.4 X2 I use at home that I think is great. I would not hesitate to get another. I don't think you can go wrong with either set.

Comment

The milw. is a fine cordless tool,one of the best out there.i have yet to work on a ridgid and probally wont for a some time. for your battery problem on the milw, to get it to slide out of the tool better loosen up the four screws on the battery cover a quarter of a turn and that should solve your problem.

Comment

The tests show the Mil. battery as the best. I have 5 in 14.4v and 6 in 18v. They are the best compared to the Makita ,DeWalt,Senco/ryobi,in my use. I would call Mil. if you are having problems.
              The Ridgid are new and I have not used or seen any testing so I can not comment on them.

[ 01-01-2004, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Benedetto ]

Comment

SatPro,

I do recall the F-10,some friends of mine owned one around 1982.I would have bought a Datsun 510 instead.

Zastava used to make a copy of the Fiat 500,I think that it was a rear engined air cooled model.They are real small,you see them on Yugo based movies such as Saviour,or Pretty Village,Pretty Flame.

Since you seem to be up on autos,remember the front wheel drive Simca that was imported to the usa from france by Chrysler?There was one that the owner of the gas station that I worked at in high school acquired and perpetually parked until it was junked.I remember that the Audi's of that time were not too highly regarded either.

I had an 810 Maxima that I couldn't kill and gave to my sister-in-law who said recently that it was passed to someone else and is still running.

Comment

SatPro,

you have an excellent knowledge base of firearms. very refreshing. generally on non-firearm message boards folks recite more lore than fact. do you frequent Bowers board?

as for the milwaukee battery being any better than the others, i think it's average: 18V comparison

caspian

Comment

I do like the way the cordless circular saw feels. It is great. The sawsall is not bad but I wish I had better luck with the battery. I also have one that fits tight. I have 4 batteries and I swear to you, one leaked and it weakened the plastic and snapped. Milwaukee was nothing but trouble for warrenties on the battery. They told me it is impossible to leak. No trouble yet with the corded circular saw, right angle drill, cordless screwdriver, radio and a few others.

Comment

Just checked in, got the 18v combo kit for Christmas. Working comemercial and Industrial electrical construction, these will get a good work out, especially the sawzall and drill. We are just finishing up a new Home Depot in NH right now. Some observations, 1. It is great to see some serious firearms input here-Caspian I think I've seen some good input from you over at the Fal files. 2. The safety switch on the sawzall is a pain in the keester to activate, unless you have a 6" thumb. 3. The batteries seem to have a short life cycle. I've only been through about three cycles on each one, but they seem to run out faster than Dewalt or Milwaukee. Should I run them completely flat before charge or recharge on a partial discharge. I'm concerned about the NiCads taken a short cycle set. Input appreciated.
                      warden

Comment

Originally posted by warden:
                        1. It is great to see some serious firearms input here-Caspian I think I've seen some good input from you over at the Fal files. 2. The safety switch on the sawzall is a pain in the keester to activate, unless you have a 6" thumb. 3. The batteries seem to have a short life cycle. I've only been through about three cycles on each one, but they seem to run out faster than Dewalt or Milwaukee. Should I run them completely flat before charge or recharge on a partial discharge. I'm concerned about the NiCads taken a short cycle set. Input appreciated.
                        warden
                        1) yep, one and the same. although my time shoting has diminisned quite a bit with a new addition to the family.

2) i only have the 3 piece set, so no experience with the sawzaw. the circular saw however has a reach on the safety that isn't too comfortable either. i was a little disappointed in it.

3) your battery life will get longer as you charge/discharge the battery. To condition my batteries, i zip-tied my drill trigger to the rear and ran the batteries out 5 times in a row. it won't hurt them to get ito ut of the way quickly so when you really need the tools for a job, they won't putter out on you.

caspian

Comment

Working...
                        X