X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first complaint about my 3650

While I still like my saw very much, I have a serious problem with one aspect, "Parallelism Adjustment"

Here is step 8 for checking this.

=================================================
    8) Loosen the three mounting screws that hold the front trunnion and the three mounting screws that hodl the rear trunnion using a 9/16" wrench. The front center trunnionn bold can be accessed through the slot for the tild lock handle in the front of the saw.
    =================================================

I'm sorry but unless I am missing the boat here, this is going to be one serious pain in the butt to adjust this. There is NO easy way to get at the front trunnion bolts. You need a socket and a 3 foot long extension.

I'm sorry to rant but it would have been nice if there was an easy way to get at these bolts.

Anyway, I just measured it with some feeling gages I have. It's .010 off. Is that within reason? Is it what most of you would consider to be acceptable?

If you can easily remove the front panel between the legs, I'd remove it and go up, from underneath---it's a bit of a reach, but much easier than blindly fiddeling around through the tilt slot. Yes, .010 is a lot.
    Dave

Comment

Hang with it m00n. It would be better to get that distance down to under 0.003.

Comment

Moon,

I wouldn't hold that against Ridgid. Most saws come out of the box needing adjustment. It's only a 1 time thing anyway. When you loosen the trunions make sure not to loosen them up too much. I actually left one nut completely tight on my powermatic b/c I couldnt' reach it from below the saw. It kept me from having problems with trunion moving while I was tightening the bolts back up.

If you've been using your saw I' drecommend a dust mask and safety glasses as you will probably have sawdust falling down onto you.. lol I DID!!

Mine started at .012 and I got it to within .001. Hang in there

Jake

Comment

m00n,

Don't get discouraged with it, it'll come around for ya. I remember when I first set my 3612 up I also had quite a time getting the blade parrallel. I must have tried at least 3 or 4 times before I got it where I wanted it to be. Seeing as how I did get it to .004 that pretty much tells me it was me and not the saw. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Dave
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Can anyone give me a easy/quick source for a Dado insert for my new, never turned on TS 3650? I've tried the on line source ordertree.com., the 1-800-4-RIDGID and the local HD. I've just been going in a circle so far. The in-person visit to HD last night didn't help either.

Comment

Since the saw has been out on the market for months now, and still no hint that there will soon be a part to go with p/n AC1040, don't hold your breath. While Ridgid had the forethought to dream up a part number(you'll find it in the TS3650 owners manual), they forgot to actually manufacture the part. It's what the software world would call 'vaporware', it exists on paper only

You are better off making one yourself from some 1/2 or 3/8 plywood because you will be old and gray before Ridgid brings one to market. If you have a band, jig, saber saw this is pretty easy, but even if you don't you can still knock out a couple of them in an afternoon. Yes, make more than one while you are setup to do the work, you will be wanting another before you know it.

Be sure to clamp a 2x4 or other sturdy board to the table over the insert when you slowly crank the blade up through the blank insert fo the first time.

If one of the aftermarket accessoriy manufacturers was smart they would fill this void and offer one at a reasonable price. While everyone should be able to make, some don't feel like taking the time. I whined that the inserts were not available when I bought my saw the end of last year, then finally broke down and made my own.

Comment

Thanks all...

Just a FYI, I'm not irritated that's is off. I would expect that coming from the factory. I'm just less than pleased that there is no quick fire way to get at the front is all...

No biggie I suppose.

Also, I wanted to ask about my method of checking. I used my feeler gages. I kept going up in size until the point at which when I would go up to the next feeler gage size, you could ever so slightly see the blad shift over to the left to accomidate the feeler gage.

Is that accurate?

Comment

Moon,
                  Are you measuring between the blade and the fence?
                  Are you using the same blade tooth to measure from both front and back?
                  Are you sure the fence is dead parallel to the miter slots?
                  Also, there are two set-screws on top of the table that I believe can be used to adjust the trunion but I'm not sure cause I don't have the manual available right now.
                  I think the best way to set up tools is with a dial indicator. Much more accurate than feeler gages. Good luck and hang in there. I'm sure you'll get it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  Lorax
                  "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Ah good questions should have clarified it a little better....

I put my adjustable square in the miter slot. Got it to where it just bairly touched the tooth, marked the tooth rotated tooth to other side.

Did it per manual instructions. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Yeah i will get it, if I had a dial I would but there are other things I need more.

Comment

Moon,
                      The way you are doing it should give you the accuracy you need.
                      Lorax
                      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Lorax, I disagree.

That is exactly the way I initially tested my saw. I used feeler guage and sliding square in the mitre slot. Checked same tooth front to back, was dead set that I was in the clear within .003.

Then on a whim I got a basic a line it kit b/c I was getting some burning ( b/c I hadn't set up my fence yet ) Got the A-Line-It kit basic from Woodcraft. Found out I was .012. I would not rely on the feeler guage. You can get a dial guage for 6 bucks from harbor freight if you want to go cheap and find a way to affix it to the mitre slots.

just my experience.

Jake

Comment

Yeah I think I may head down to Harbor Freight tomorrow. We have one here local. I am mostly going to look at their dust collection system. But perhaps a some good gage for dialing in my saw would be in order.

Comment

You might also want to check out Grizzly's dial indicator combo pack for $29, it's item number H3022

Their kit includes a 6" Dial Caliper with a Magnetic Base, and a 1" dial indicator that measures in .001".

It's on pg 502 of their 2004 catalog.

I have no connection to Grizzly other than being a satisfied customer.

Here's a direct link to the web page with more info;

Grizzly H3022 Magnetic Base/Dial Indicator/Caliper Combo Pack

[ 02-07-2004, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

Harbor Freight currently has a 1" dial indicator on sale for $7 and the magnetic base is also on sale for $7. I saw this in the in-store flyer I got in the mail so I don't know if you can get these prices at their website. For $14 it's not a bad deal, the dial indicator is very accurate.
                              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                              X