X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of my deck

ok, these pictures should help be describe my project to you a little better.

http://pa6-5000pa.tripod.com/home/Deck1.JPG
    http://pa6-5000pa.tripod.com/home/Deck2.JPG

The bottom of the railing is a 4x4 that has an a 45 degree cut on the two top side "would-be" corners. the back is larger than the front, which is where the spindles get atached.

its hard to see the rot. The guy who sold us the house painted over the rotten wood so it wouldn't be so obvious. If you touch those spots your finger pushes through like paper.

Easy to see why you want to fix the deck. Your property looks awesome, nice view

Comment

It’s nice in the back – we basically hangout there every chance we get. Unfortunately, in the couple of years we have lived here I have spent more time working on the house than I would like. The previous owner was one of those “patch it and hide it” type of morons. Every room I go into I find something else – and lately it just seems that nothing is safe to let it go another year. Anyway….I’ll let ya know how it goes..and thanks!

Comment

OK, Saturday was a long (yet productive) day.

http://pa6-5000pa.tripod.com/deck/

I have all the main supports replaced now and the roof didn't fall on me. So I suppose thats a good thing [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Coming along nicely. Thats some nasty rot, I can see why the contractors were amazed it made it throught the winter - me too..

Comment

Of the three main supports, one had a mouse living in the rotten wood, another had black ants and the third was just a pile of mush. As I was placing my temporary supports I kepts asking myself...why bother? The roof clearly didn't need any support !

Comment

Well, the deck certainly looked terrific in your first pictures and now that you've progressed into the project I can see why you'd be upset with all that "hidden" decay. It sure looked pretty sound!

Hows the foundation and joist support for the deck? You mentioned "black ants" so perhaps pest control treatment may also be in order, just in case.

Overall, the construction detail looks pretty sound and hopefully your rebuild will not run into any more surprises!

Good luck on the project,

CWS

[ 05-22-2005, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

CWS, If you stood on the deck you could see the rot at the base of all the supports, and the railing top crumbles if you touch it.

So far it hasn't been to big of a hassle - only one issue, I fired my nail gun and the nail went through the wood and into my wrist.....um, ouch?

It wasn't too bad since it went immediatly numb from the elbow down. I slapped on a band-aid and got back to work. Hurt like a SOB yesterday LOL...jackass.

I decided to butt my 2x6's together for the flooring. I live in the north east so I don't really expect too much shrinking in the summer. Originally I was going to use a nail as a spacer, but since the wood was so warped I decided to butt them tight. Is this an OK thing to do? My wife and I like the appearance (I have 1/2 the decking down now)

Comment

Originally posted by crimson ghost:

I decided to butt my 2x6's together for the flooring. I live in the north east so I don't really expect too much shrinking in the summer. Originally I was going to use a nail as a spacer, but since the wood was so warped I decided to butt them tight. Is this an OK thing to do? My wife and I like the appearance (I have 1/2 the decking down now)
                  I sure wish you had asked about this before you put down half the decking. You absolutely need a space between the boards for expansion and contraction, even in the Northeast, I know, I live there too.
                  If the boards are that badly warped, you should have sent them back! Then you could have gotten the 5/4 decking boards I mentioned before.
                  Lorax
                  "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Depends how wet the boards were. Around here in the summer it seems like the wood comes directly from the injection treatment plant so you have to butt the boards together or the resulting gaps when the boards dry by the end of the summer will be huge. If they are dry you may have problems as Lorax suggests

Comment

I read online that they can shrink up to a quarter of an inch. These boards squirt when I nail them – they are very wet. My nail gun is covered in it – very messy. I think I will be ok…..well, I hope I will be ok. I did some more research this morning – and the consensus seems to be that they should be butted as I did. More importantly tho, I really like the effect of them this way…

Comment

Originally posted by crimson ghost:
                        These boards squirt when I nail them
                        Yep thats the kind we get here, no problem with installing them tight together they will shrink

Comment

Working...
                        X