X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime Limited Warranty

Does anyone know if this is still happening? I was in home depot yesterday looking for an xmas gift for my father. I was looking at tools and I was talking with one of the salesmen and he pointed at a tag that said they had a limited lifetime warranty with registration. I took one of the tags to read it over when I got home and it said it expired on april 15th 2005. I then went to another home depot today and there were no tags there and the guy had no idea what I was talking about and then showed him the promo tag and he said he hasn't seen one of them in months.

From what I can tell it is expired and the first home depot just never took down the tags. I wasn't able to call customer service because they are open 8 - 5 eastern m - f and of course thats when I am working. I will try them sometime next week but I was just wondering if anyone has done the warranty recently.

Ridgid hass a 3 year warranty against manufactureing defects. Ridgid also offers a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement on many of their power tools. You can check the Ridgid Home Page for more details.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I called and talked with Ridgid today and the promo is still going on. The Life time warranty is only good for Ridgid power tools, it doesn't cover Air compressors and some others. Also to register a tool, (on-line anyway) you must start an E-BOX and send in a copy of the receipt. You can also register by mail. Just doing the normal Product Registration does not give you the life time warranty and you only have 90-days from the date of purchase.

David

Comment

Make sure you follow ALL the requirements, including saving and mailing in the UPC from the box! If you don't, you will be SOL for your lifetime warranty. Ridgid seems to be getting a bit more organised these days- tightening the requirements as well as, it appears, creating loopholes for themselves. (Understandibly so, since the chances of them getting burned was so high).
        I bought a 14v cordless three years ago, and at that time all I had to do was register on line and keep my receipt. I've since had to get the charger serviced, but that would have fallen within the three year warranty period. Hopefully I will have no issues if I need subsequent service.

Comment

It might very well be that Ridgid is getting more organized; but for what it's worth, when I called their offices a month ago and asked about the necessity of the UPC for getting the LSA, the lady I spoke with told me that it was okay to just send the receipt and no UPC. She told me it in a reassuring tone that meant "rest assured, we're not going to deny someone their LSA without a UPC, as long as they have the receipt." She even told me they know that lots of people lose the boxes, so they don't expect everyone to have the UPC.

In short, I think the UPC certainly streamlines things, but as long as you've got a receipt and a serial number off the tool, I think you're okay.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I bought my father the tool set and I am printing out all the instructions for him to register correctly. It looks like I will probibly get a set for myself you can't beat the warranty as long as they will still be around in 15 - 20 years to keep replacing batteries and parts. And since Rigid has been around for along time and it looks like they are getting bigger I don't see a problem with that.

Comment

Lifetime Warranty Without Registration

Those that purchased tools under the Lifetime Warranty during the first few promotions, which did not require registration, should still receive the warranty with only their receipt, because no registration requirement existed at the time of purchase, correct?

Comment

When you look here, it certainly does not appear that it has ended.
                They've pretty much announced to the world that the program is active from the way I read those banners.

Free Parts
                Free Batteries
                Free Service
                For Life

But we went through all this recently in another thread, and to save you reading through it the response was that there are no plans to end the program and that ProBrand is working to keep the program in place (see his response in post #11 of the thread below).
                http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...6499#post46499
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RIDGID1
                  Those that purchased tools under the Lifetime Warranty during the first few promotions, which did not require registration, should still receive the warranty with only their receipt, because no registration requirement existed at the time of purchase, correct?
                  If you're referring to the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement then unfortunately the answer is a qualified no/maybe. When the LSA was first announced Ridgid grandfathered in all Ridgid/OWT tools purchased between 09/01/03 and the start date of the LSA. However, it did require all of those grandfathered tools be registered to qualify for the program. I believe the cutoff date to register those tools has come and gone but possibly Ridgid will still accept a late registration. A call to Ridgid Customer Service should be all that it would take to find that out.

It should be noted that only the orange Ridgid tools qualify for the LSA. My 3612 TS does have a Limited Lifetime Warranty against factory defects but does not qualify for the LSA. The way I understand it, only OWT manufactured tools qualify for the LSA while Emerson made tools, the grey ones, don't.

Comment

I just recieved one of the 18V power tool kits for my birthday, I was told when I called the number that all I needed was the UPC and fill in the warranty card. she even emailed me the PDF to print out the card........pretty cool

Comment

I just called RIDGID in a panic. Having registered online a few days ago and
                      dragged the box from my new TS3650 out to the curb THIS MORNING, I read this thread and the "if you don't have the UPC you'll be SOL...". But I was told that a copy of the original sales receipt is sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by q-maximus
                        I just called RIDGID in a panic. Having registered online a few days ago and dragged the box from my new TS3650 out to the curb THIS MORNING, I read this thread and the "if you don't have the UPC you'll be SOL...".
                        Sounds like an ideal excuse to tell the boss that you've got to go home to take care of an emergency.

Al
                        America:
                        The land of the free
                        Because of the brave

Comment

When I purchased my tools under the original Lifetime Warranty, no registration was required. No notice or change of terms has ever been sent to me. There are many people that do not read forums. Therefore, I don't see how they would have a case to say that any of the original warranties would not be valid because of a future change in warranty. When the tools were purchased all the terms were met, which did not require any registration. I would like an official answer on this.

Comment

RIDGID1, did you call Ridgid Customer Service about this as I suggested you do back on Feb 1 when you first stated your concern over this matter? Seems to me that if you did, that would qualify as an official answer

As far as a warranty, NOT THE LSA, is concerned, if the warranty offered at the time of purchase was a lifetime warranty then you continue to have a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects but you're not covered, under the terms of the warranty, against any part that wears out due to normal wear and tear. However, you are covered for the normal wear and tear items under the LSA program which you are required to register for but which Ridgid is under no obligation to remind you to register.

Comment

Perhaps it just a case of history. Three years ago and at some time prior, the Ridgid woodworking tools were limited to the larger bench and stationary power tools (as far as I know anyway). These tools were painted the Ridgid gray color and had, what I recall, a "Full Lifetime Warranty", which was stamped all over the box, as well as within the pages of the owner's manual.

About three or four years ago, Ridgid decided to get out to the woodworking tool business, at least as it relates to marketing, manufacting and support. At that time, Techtronics International (TTI) took over the manufacturing (which it primarily "sub=contracted" for Ridgid anyway) and continued to manufacture using the Ridgid name and designs under "license" from Ridgid. It also introduced a number of new power tools under the Ridgid brand name and through sold them exclusively through Home Depot. All of this new stuff was "Orange". For a four-month introductory period, these tools were given a "Limited Lifetime Warranty". But, after that initial introductory period, the warranty on all Ridgid woodworking stationary and portable power tools would be 3-years.

Then, in April, 2005 TTI decided to provide a "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" to go along with it's 3-year warranty. To get this "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" all the purchaser had to to was "register" their purchase. This "Agreement" would also be offered to previous buyers of the Ridgid products if they registered them within a 4- or 5-month window of opportunity.

So, all of this was very well advertised and all the Home Depot stores promoted this "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement", with signs and sales flyers and catalogs, as well as this web site.

So, while I do understand your point of view, the "LImited Lifetime Service Agreement" isn't exactly a secret and it is promoted in places other than here on the this site. Overall, I think Ridgid has done an admirable job of promoting it, and I think they also have demonstrated some level of tolerance for those who haven't met every single requirement stated. Still, I'm not surprised by some exceptions.

Here are links to the Ridgid announcements:

Press release of Ridgid Tool / OWT licensing agreement

http://www.ridgid.com/news/RidgidBrandRel.pdf

Press release of Ridgid "lifetime service agreement"

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X