X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about power drills

I was using my 12v cordless with a drum sanding bit and noticed in reverse (bit spins counter clockwise) that it was slower than when it was set to spin clockwise. Do all drills do this or is there something wrong with my drill. Thanks.

Your question raised my curiosity and I just happen to have a very accurite digital tachometer so....
    Yes, based on my test of 4 drills I would say that all drill run slower in reverse than they do in forward. The only reason I can think of is that the gearing assemblies present a higher load to the motor in reverse because they are likely optimised to run forward ??? Just a theory, anyone really know why??
    Results - not a fully charged battery but not dead either and ran forward - rev - for -rev to ensure consistant readings.
    Ridgid 18V - f - 1551, r - 1359
    Makita 7.2 - f - 544, r - 514
    Dewalt 14.4 - f - 1291, r - 975
    Sears corded - f - 2375, r - 2245

Comment

Most likely reverse is implemented by a reverse gear, not an electronic change to reverse the motor direction. Reverse would not be used to drive screws nor drill holes so the speed would be irrelevant. The speed of reverse would be dictated by the fact you don't need a fast reverse, and space limitations for the additional gear.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Another reason might be for more torque. The slower speed would have more torque than the faster speed (at least I'd think it would), so if you can drill it in fast, then you'll make more torque in reverse to be sure you can get a screw out if needed.

I don't know...more than likely though it's something to do with the transmission.

Comment

Working...
        X