X5 6" Joiner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X5 6" Joiner

Well, I was at Woodcraft today for their 10% off everything in the store sale and talked myself into the Delta X5 6" Joiner. I'll get the $100 rebate for buying another qualifing tool (my Dust Collector) which I purchased inside the promotion period and have elected to get the mobile base as my free accessory.

With the $100 rebate and 10% off, I end up paying paid $420 for the joiner. I think that is a good deal on this tool and look forward to many years of service from it. It will be a few days before I get to set it up, maybe by next weekend I will be able to report back my opinion of assembly.

I'm jealous. That's a great deal on an excellent jointer. I'm sure that you'll be very happy with it. Did I mention that I'm jealous? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Thanks Dave,

Found the time this evening to set it up. After looking over the manual it didn't look very involved at all, toughest part was cleaning off the cosmoline(sp) from the milled surfaces.

I checked the table height settings and they are right on. The fence settings were good too, only a slight adjustment to the 45 degree stop.

Aas far as assembly/setup, no problems. It is a little tough to reach the three socket head cap screws used to mount it to the base, for one you have to reach up through the chip exhaust chute, so you are working blind and can only feel your way around. When I checked the pulleys for alignment (which you must do though it doesn't word it that way in the manual), i found they were as expected out of alignment. There is no way that they can be as the motor is mounted in the base and the cutter pulley is on the end of the cutter shaft. The pulleys required alignment to get them parallel and I also had to drop the motor down a smidge to get the proper tension on the belt. Before I made any changes I checked both pulleys and found both set screws (each pulley has two) loose. Not loose enough that you could slide the pulley on the shaft but I would not want to run it this way. I knew then I better check all critical fasteners as I didn't want any parts to come flying loose when I fired it up. I did not find any other fasteners to be loose, including the blade.

One thing I noticed is that the fence retracts back beyond the back edge of the cutter, so you need to watch you don't back the fence up too far and leave a thin strip of material on the treated edge. It would be nice to have a way to restict travel in this direction such as a stop screw.

The rack and pinion adjustment for the fence works smoothly and is solid when locked down. Chip collection works very well, nary a piece left on the table or flying off to the floor in the few test passes I ran.

I think I would like the work surface to be higher. The table height is about the same as all the other makes, but I think if it were about 3 or 4 inches higher that would be more comfortable for me. I am not tall, only 5'-11", how do others find the table height of their joiner? When/If I get the mobile base, that will raise it a bit, maybe an inch or two, but I think it could stand even another couple inches on top of that. I may try blocking it up a few inches to try different heights, and build my own base if I find I like it higher, and then use the free tool offer for something else.

Comment

We were justing poling at that thing yesterday @ WC. Nice machine....enjoy.

Comment

Working...
        X