X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which table saw?

Hate to "beat this dead horse" again but I am in the market for a new table saw (ole late 70's craftsman 10" is dying). A friend gave me another ole but commercial cabinet table saw,a Ticar unit.It needs a motor and switch (about $340+).That's for a 3 horse 220 and I don't have 220 in my garage. My question is, should I invest that much or buy new. My needs- ripping 1 1/2" heart pine mostly since I have a ridgid 12 sliding mitre for crosscuts. That would be the toughest job I would ask of a saw. Would the ridgid 10", 1 1/2 h.p. unit work for me? The cabinet saw is big and heavy to move , the ridgid comes with a roller base. My concern is power. So for about $200 more I would have a brand new saw, on rollers and it takes up less space.Guess I answered my our question but would like to have some feedback. Thanks, Kenny g.

Thats a tough one. The Ridgid 3650 would easily handle the type of stuff you mentioned. On the other hand a cabinet saw for $350 is a bargin that would be hard to pass up.

There are some unknowns here that could be a deal maker or breaker. What kind of fence does the Ticar saw have? Is it as good as the Ridgid fence? How much will it cost to put in a 220V line in your garage? I'm not familiar with the Ticar brand, is this a commercial grade industrial TS or a no-name import? Putting a mobile base under the Ticar shouldn't pose a problem so that part is really a non issue.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave, Not sure what the cost would be for 220 and the Ticar is, I think, a saw that was very good in its day since grizzly had it in their computer (when I called about the motor for it). Still dealing with affects of Kitrina so I haven't done anything with it yet.I may go with the Ridgid since my wife enjoys using the equipment we have and the cabinet saw is big for her to move around.Plus finding someone to do the 220 is an issue right now, this place is still crazy with all the work that has to be done. Thanks for your reply. Kenny g.

Comment

I just studied table saws until my eyes were bugged out, and I was sick of looking at them. I settled for the Ridgid on wheels too. My initial choice was the Bosch - but since you can buy a "Ridgid and a half" for the same price, I was hard pressed (as a home user) to justify the difference, besides that, no one had one you could actually look at. Every Home Depot is full of Ridgid. That was the tie breaker - availability, and no haggle if something does go wrong. I love the idea of the limited lifetime service agreement. I wouldn't expect them to repair it if I break it, but if they missed something . . . I had never set a table saw up before, so it took me about 3 hours. Its completely assembled out of the box, but getting the blade trued up, the fence square, etc took me some time - fun time. In my pre purchase study, I learned one of the most important features is the fence. I looked at Delta, Craftsman, DeWalt (all my hand tools are DeWalt) I only found one brand, Ridgid, where the fence really locked in place. Small things really make a difference in everyday use. Take a look at the blade guard, and how it attaches to the unit, then look at anyone elses. There are a lot of features like that. I really liked seeing three complete owners manuals in the box. I have a complete book in English. I don't mind sharing, but it makes the manuals too thick. I was surprised how stable the saw is on the wheeled stand, and delighted at the footprint when folded for storage. I found no US made saws - so I opted to at least buy one from a US company. The saw works great so far, and since you can always tag a Home Depot for a fifty buck discount, the price at $399.00 is pretty competitive. By way of suggestion, I would devise a pad for the front end of the main frame where it sits on the floor when the saw is stored. Its going to scratch pretty fast if not. The 2400 is probably going to sit in my garage for a number of years. Phew!

Comment

What do you mean "you can always tag HD for a
          $50 discount?"

rick
          Rick J

Comment

I was wondering about the $50 thing also.... and how did you get the price down to 399? I would have though 499 after a 50 discount.... I see the price listed at 549 currently...

Comment

Originally posted by means42:
              I was wondering about the $50 thing also.... and how did you get the price down to 399? I would have though 499 after a 50 discount.... I see the price listed at 549 currently...
              I think he was talking about the TS2400 portable jobsite saw as opposed to the TS3650 stationary contractor saw. The 2400 lists for $449...they list refurbs on the HD site for $349. The 3650 usually bounces between $549 and $599 depending...

Comment

Originally posted by Rick J:
                What do you mean "you can always tag HD for a
                $50 discount?"

rick
                HD will frequently grant 10% when asked...sometimes they'll require a competitor's coupon, moving coupon, or a credit application.

Comment

Working...
                X