X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Resolved - Home Depot Not Honoring Warranty

When I bought my Ridgid 14v X2 drill kit last fall HomeDepot told me the warranty procedure for my drill would be to bring the drill in and get a new one. Tonight I went into HD and they say I need to send it to Ridgid? What gives? That wasnt my sales terms. The reason Im irritated with this is because I specificly asked "do I need to send it away", and was told "no, bring it with your receipt to any HD and it will be replaced". Evidently HD isnt interested in my future purchases.

The good news is that I just saved $500 on the Ridgid kit I was planning on buying.

[ 08-06-2005, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Plainsman ]

That is because you got an IDIOT! I went through a similar situation with my shop vac. What you need to do, is take your drill and receipt, bypass the customer service returns desk and go back to the tool corral. Ask to speak to the Return To Vendor or RTV associate if they are not available, the manager. They will know what to do. If they are still clueless, pull out your cell phone and call the 1-800 number for ridgid, but the imbecile on the phone with Ridgid and they should take care of you.
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Plainsman,

One of the really terrible problems with Home Depot is that almost every employee you talk to will give you a different story! While I agree with "SpaceBlue" on taking this further at your local store, the warranty (and the lifetime service agreement) is NOT Home Depot's; it is Ridgid's!

In some cases, Home Depot stores will provide the courtesy of handling your claim, and even ship the tool to the service center (and I imagine some managers might get away with just replacing the tool); but, that is not the standard operating practice according to HD HQ in Atlanta.

Ridgid's policy is that you have 90-days to return the item to Home Depot, for a refund or exchange. After that, you must contact your nearest service center and get instructions for shipping it to them.

I've found that the ignorance at Home Depot is a major problem with Ridgid. People get peeved at them, when it is actually Home Depot's fault for lying to you. In my local store, I've even had the tool manager tell me that every power tool (any brand) they sell is covered for life... "just bring it in and we'll replace it!" Knowing that was a lie, I went home and called the store's service desk, pro-desk, and even the store manager... got three different stories and none agreed with the tool manager. I then called Atlanta and talked to the senior merchandising manager and he couldn't believe any of what I told him. Bottome line is, HD stinks in far too many ways and I don't see any effort being made to correct any of this. Unfortunately Ridgid and Ryobi get the crap beat out of them for not living up to the warranty and service falsehoods spun by the "Orange Aprons" in order to make the sale.

Of course if a tool fails, a customer should rightfully be upset. But it makes it a lot worse when you find you've been lied to by the retailer.

CWS

Comment

Exactly.

I am going to talk with the store manager tomorrow. This is really burning away at me.

Im sure there is no Rigdid center anywhere around here so it would be god knows how long to get stuff back.

Comment

CWS is correct in that it is not HD's warranty, it is RIDGID. But HD is the exclusive retailer for said tools. That is why you need to talk to a RTV clerk. They (supposedly) have been trained to inspect and determine if it is a warranty claim or not. Without a ridgid service center near by, HD needs to stand behind it. And they will, if you call them on it and talk to the right people.

My advice is to call ridgid direct prior to heading back to the store. That is what I did with regard to my shop vac and they outlined the exact procedure for me. Made it a little less painless. HD will honor the warranty. It may just be a little more painful than you would like.
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

CWS took the words right out of my mouth-----but Plansman----was the last line about buying the kit----part of the post or just a sig' line? Can't believe anyone would buy any more Ridgid tools after your experience.

Their cordless seem to be the source of the vast majority of the complaints here. Not only shouldn't you have been lied to----but, why the heck is a relaitively new tool crapping out on you? Buying more of the same is just asking for more trouble.
            Dave

Comment

Dave, when I said I saved $500 on the kit its because I wont buy anymore of the stuff.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

I was going to buy the big kit and a corded circ saw. But I think I will head over Milwakee way. I dont like getting lied to either.

I need to still talk to the manager though, if he is as much a smuck as the guy I spoke with Ill be done for good with HD. But I have to give them a chance for redemption on this drill yet.

Comment

Called Ridgid. There are no service centers in my state. I need to drive 200 miles to my nearest service center. This is frusterating.

Ridgid said that Home Depot does not warranty their products. I said thats a lot different than what I was told when I bought it. She said she was sorry. I asked how Sears warranties Craftsman, and why HD doesnt warranty Ridgid. She didnt say much about that, she was nice, and there wasnt any use getting agitated with a customer service person anyway.

The sad thing is that Im not entirly dis-satisfied with Ridgid, but I am with HD. I expect HD to be a face just like Sears to their product lines. HD sure pitches the relationship to that fact.

I am the HD target market, a 30s-somthing that just built a new home, has disposable cash and wants to complete projects on their own. Luckily that market is saturated and I need not HD or Ridgid.

So my new "warranty" is going to be returning the whole damn kit to HD.

[ 08-05-2005, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Plainsman ]

Comment

Plainsman,
                  If you are looking for a new corded reciprocating saw I strongly reccomend Milwaukees newest 13 amp sawzall. Its only been out a few months but I've used the beejesus out of mine as a professional and am amazed at the quality and strength of this tool.

Good luck with your other tool issues.
                  Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I went into HD tonight and they exchanged the drill no problem for a new one. So I guess Im happy again. I needed a drill and didnt really need a store credit for anything.

[ 08-06-2005, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Plainsman ]

Comment

Plainsman,

Great news on your success! Now, don't forget to register your "new" tool and it's serial number. Even though the old one was returned for an exchange, your previous registration is not likely valid, as the serial numbers will be different.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Plainsman:
                        I went into HD tonight and they exchanged the drill no problem for a new one. So I guess Im happy again. I needed a drill and didnt really need a store credit for anything.
                        Yeah! ...I love happy endings!

Comment

I'm with Plumber. Buy a milwaukee and forget about:

1) What you need to do to replace it when it takes a s**t four month from now. A Milwaukee will last for years. You won't be dealing with their warrenty department.

2) Buying from Hellhole Depot. Milwaukee products are not restricted to the pea-brains in orange aprons.

the dog
                          the dog

Comment

Glad it's resolved----but if they'd just done this in the first place, could have saved everyone a lot of time and frustration.

When I worked for Radio Shack----we had our own line of equipment----each store would receive a broken product and ship it off to the repair center, and you'd get a call when the thing came back----crappy repair department, but the system, for the customer was certainly better than having to go hunt up the service center by themselves.
                            Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X