No announcement yet.

Ridgid R7000

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R7000

Hello all, this is my first post after watching from a distance for quite some time. I have the Ridgid R7000 3/8" corded drill. I got it about a month ago to use for mixing drywall mud, etc. It was a bit lighter than my 1/2" and easier for everyone to use. Well, I used it for the first time yesterday and it got very hot, started smoking, and after about 3 minutes mixing mud, it sizzled and stopped working. Has anyone else had this problem?

By the way, the drill isn't even listed as a product on, so I'm assuming it's one of those HD products that they made Ridgid make for them to cover the lower price point.

Is this going to happen if I buy a 1/2" hammer drill too?

I would offer that you perhaps have the wrong tool for the application. A standard 3/8'' drill is really not designed for mixing mud as it sets up. You should consider a gear reduction drive train drill - like the RIDGID spade handle drill, model R7120. Link to R7120 Web Page

The drill got hot because of the amp draw that you put the tool under.

I can understand that you probably don't want to hear that you need a different power tool, but a spade handle 1/2" drill, like the 7120, will give you years of service and stand up to the riggors of mixing mud without breaking a sweat.

Yup, wrong tool for the job at hand. The really unfortunate part is that because you misused the tool, you also fried your warranty.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

What you did is compartivly like towing a 8000 pound boat with a four cylinder light truck and then complaining when it blew the engine up. It would have happend on any other brand drill with this application.

[ 02-07-2005, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Okay, I guess I should have been more specific with this problem. I was mixing mud with about the consistency of whip cream for a faux wall covering I do. This is something that I used to do with a cordless screwdriver (not a cordless drill). I do understand that this drill isn't good for doing full consistency joint compound and would never think of using it for that.