Ridgid R7000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R7000

Hello all, this is my first post after watching from a distance for quite some time. I have the Ridgid R7000 3/8" corded drill. I got it about a month ago to use for mixing drywall mud, etc. It was a bit lighter than my 1/2" and easier for everyone to use. Well, I used it for the first time yesterday and it got very hot, started smoking, and after about 3 minutes mixing mud, it sizzled and stopped working. Has anyone else had this problem?

By the way, the drill isn't even listed as a product on Ridgid.com, so I'm assuming it's one of those HD products that they made Ridgid make for them to cover the lower price point.

Is this going to happen if I buy a 1/2" hammer drill too?
    Nate

I would offer that you perhaps have the wrong tool for the application. A standard 3/8'' drill is really not designed for mixing mud as it sets up. You should consider a gear reduction drive train drill - like the RIDGID spade handle drill, model R7120. Link to R7120 Web Page

The drill got hot because of the amp draw that you put the tool under.

I can understand that you probably don't want to hear that you need a different power tool, but a spade handle 1/2" drill, like the 7120, will give you years of service and stand up to the riggors of mixing mud without breaking a sweat.

Comment

Yup, wrong tool for the job at hand. The really unfortunate part is that because you misused the tool, you also fried your warranty.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

What you did is compartivly like towing a 8000 pound boat with a four cylinder light truck and then complaining when it blew the engine up. It would have happend on any other brand drill with this application.

[ 02-07-2005, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Comment

Okay, I guess I should have been more specific with this problem. I was mixing mud with about the consistency of whip cream for a faux wall covering I do. This is something that I used to do with a cordless screwdriver (not a cordless drill). I do understand that this drill isn't good for doing full consistency joint compound and would never think of using it for that.
          Nate

Comment

Working...
          X