X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID vs. DeWalt

I am going to purchase a new drill soon.I'm considering a 1/2"RIDGID 14.4 and a 1/2"14.4 DeWalt xrp.Which is the better drill? I currently have a Black/Decker 18v and a small 9.6v DeWalt.These drills just don't get the job done,not even the small jobs.What do you guys suggest I buy?

Dewalt costs more and has a one year Warranty.

Ridgid is $10 less and has a three year warranty.

Dewalt comes with two batteries & 1 hour charger.

Ridgid has two bay half hour charger and two batteries and a side handle. (which is usefull when drilling through metal and other hard materials. NEVER USE A CORDLESS ON CONCRETE!)

Both have a double ended screw driver bit.

Dewalt has batteries that clip into the bottom and when the clips go bad the batteries will just fall out. (hopefully they don't go through a 200 dollar sink!)

Ridgid batteries slide in and won't fall down off the tool. There are three clips to hold the batteries on but at times it can get jamed. (I only have a problem with one battery, usually hit the back of the battery gently to get the one off.)

Dewalt is 5.3lbs with 450 in/lbs torque
    Ridgid is 5.5lbs with 415 in/lbs torque

Both use NiCad batteries (If you prefer Ni-MH batteries which have no battery memory consider the Makita. It has; 2 14.4v batteries, 1 hour charger,350 inch/lbs torque, weights 4.6 Lb, doesn't have side handle, costs $169.)

This is all from Home Depot except for my experiance with Ridgid tools, which I have no problems with, except the one battery I got for $30.
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

I owned the DeWalt XRP 14.4 Cordless Drill/driver for over a year of repeated almost daily relatively mild to heavy use (depending on what we were doing) and I was extremely pleased with it (up until it was stolen recently). Note that the DeWalt Drill because it is an XRP has a 2 year warranty on the XRP batteries. I had to use this warranty and was impressed when I took it to the DeWalt service centre and they gave me no questions asked replacement of one of my batteries. Other co-workers of mine who had a DeWalt drill or other DeWalt cordless tools received similar no hassle service from the DeWalt factory centre.

The other thing worth mentioning is the power of this drill is extremey awesome. It is really in the league of the higher end 18 volt drills. Sometimes I find myself needing to drill a 2 9/16's self feed as it would have been a hassle to run acord and get out the right angle drill, and the DeWalt 14.4 had the balls to do it. I wouldn't recommend doing this all the time as DeWalt recommends 1 3/4" self feeds for this drill max, but it does have the balls to do it if required. I put my 14.4 through a heck of a lot, through repeated use of the clutch for MJ clamps, to drill self feeds or hole saws for some water line work, to just drilling screws, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this drill again.

One thing I would like to mention was when I was shopping for drills when I bought this drill, I originally had my eyes set on the Ridgid 14.4 Drill mentioned above. I gawked at it several times and was gonna buy it but the DeWalt was lighter, had more power, and plus the free battery deal I got with it really helped things too. And the service has really convinced me to look DeWalt's way again.

[ 11-28-2005, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Scott K ]

Comment

Two things were not mentioned in the previous two comments:

In comparing the warranties, it was mentioned that DeWalt is 2 years and Ridgid is 3 years.

However, the Ridgid also has a 90-day money back guarantee. So, try it and if you don't like it, you can bring it back within that period for a full refund.

In additon, if you properly register your Ridgid tool, you receive a "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" which provides you with service and replacement parts for life. Everything is covered including wear parts, like bearings, chucks, switches, motors, and even batteries and chargers!

Here is the link to the Agreement: http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

Hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Note that DeWalt also has the 90 day return policy where for any reason what so ever if you don't like the tool you can return it for a full refund.

How much downtime do you have with repair of a Ridgid tool under the lifetime service agreement? I know a guy at work who had his Ridgid drill MIA for 4 weeks in for repair. DeWalt b/c of their factory service centre, typically less than a week tops. Usually 3-4 days. Battery replacements over the counter right there.

Just want to add I have dropped my DeWalt drill several times off of ladders (by accident, not intended obviously) and no issues with it. I was in need of my 3rd set of brushes by the time my drill was stolen. That's how much I used it day in and day out.

I do gotta add that while warranty is definatley an important feature of a good power tool, one thing us guys will always look for is the next best tool. And so I think that kinda really mutes lifetime warranties. Yeah, would I like a lifetime warranty just to say I have it? Yes. But I'll tell you what. If I bought a 14.4 drill with 450 in-lbs of torque like my Dewalt has/had, and a few years down the line I see a 14.4 DeWalt drill that has been improved to 600 in-lbs of torque as an example, how quickly do you think I will forget about my lifetime warranty on my older one? Power tools are so constantly evolving. More power, more battery life, more ergonomically designed features, etc. that you'll probably be buying something new somewhere down the line despite the agreement. So the bottomline is how well the tool gets the job done.

[ 11-28-2005, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Scott K ]

Comment

I looked at both the Dewalt and the Ridgid and bought the Ridgid.

I really like the drill, very comfortable and lots of power.

The problem with mine is the batteries. After less than a year of owning the drill, they are both shot. See my post on this...

I am going to check out this "service" agreement mentioned above, and see if I can get new batteries... at least for a "reasonable" price if not free [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kent

Comment

try the makita lxt 18 volt it weighs less than the 12 volt and has twice the power as the traditional 18. which I have the mxt. just a thought.

[ 12-03-2005, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: spooner ]

Comment

I had the same decision two years ago, both were good drills. The ridgid lifetime pushed me over to them. Have nothing but good things to say about it, but a buddy has a dewalt and he sings the same tune so. I don't think I was any help but thats my 2 cents.

Comment

I agree with spooner........I like the Makita's!

CHECK IT OUT....CHECK IT OUT.....you will be glad you did!

Comment

Dont get Rigid

Rigid drill will burn up with use
                    Trust me I am there
                    Thanks'
                    Eric

Comment

dewalt or ridgid

I have yet had the chance to work on a ridgid cordless drill since we are not a warranty center for there woodworking line of tools (only the real ridgid tools pipethreading and draincleaning).Ihave been repairing tools for 13 years and this is my opinion. thi new ridgid service agreement where you get motors,switches,gearassemblies,transmissions,chuck s,is unbeleavable to me,unless they are always getting repaired(that is a good deal if there is not alot of downtime with the ridgid). out of 20 cordless drills a week i see more dewalt than any other tool, that is not saying that it is a bad drill dewlt just outsells all the other brands. this is my top four . i like milwaukee the best then i like the bosch and the makita and the dewalt .

Comment

Ridgid is made in Communist China by Communist slaves.

Dewalt is not.

any questions?
                        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Not only are Dewalt cordless tools made in mexico but they also send along the workers to use the power tools. The batteries are made in japan and some of their corded tools are made in Europe! Right now dewalt's as american as susi and burrito's. I meen to sound at all racist but at my jobsite we sometimes have to get translaters for some of the workers. Which after all the crap about "saftey", how safe is it if someone can't understand any English at all?

I own both the Ridgid and dewalt 18v hammer drills and have had one problem with each. The chuck on the Ridgid and the clutch on the dewalt. The dewalt problem keeps happening off and on, but i replaced the chuck on the ridgid once.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 01-02-2006, 03:08 AM.
                          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

I have read comparisons on 14.4V drill/drivers in two different WW magazines in the past year or so and the DW was recommended in both, Ridgid was not recommended in either. One stated that it would be a no-brainer to step up to the 15.6V Panasonic; it easily outperformed all the 14.4V models and was the same price. On that point, are you aware that the DW is on closeout for $150 and that may simplify your decision?

Woodslayer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Comment

We only have ourselves (society) to blame, we have pushed the college thing for so long and made the trades out to be something less than a respectable vocation that it is no wonder that intelligent and skilled young people do not pursue a career in the building trades (and other skilled crafts too). So who is left to take those jobs? you see the results everywhere you look, and not just construction. Of course Big Business is to blame for some of this also. Outsourcing jobs overseas and similar tactics have not helped the situation any.

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                              Not only are Dewalt cordless tools made in mexico but they also send along the workers to use the power tools. The batteries are made in japan and some of their corded tools are made in Europe! Right now dewalt's as american as susi and burrito's. I meen to sound at all racist but at my jobsite we sometimes have to get translaters for some of the workers. Which after all the crap about "saftey", how safe is it if someone can't understand any English at all?

I own both the Ridgid and dewalt 18v hammer drills and have had one problem with each. The chuck on the Ridgid and the clutch on the dewalt. The dewalt problem keeps happening off and on, but i replaced the chuck on the ridgid once.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X