X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of 90 day satisfaction

This is related to my last post titled "X2 crapped out", but felt is was important enough to deserve a separate post. My month and half old 18v X2 crapped out over the weekend and I went back to HD to get a new one since I was clearly within the 90 day guaranty period. I was met with considerable resistance at the the return counter and it took me half and hour and two managers to exercise the satifaction guaranty. Apparently, HD has a policy of accepting returns of power tools for only 30 days. I said that was great, but I have a 90 days. They told me that whatever is on the box is not through HD, but through the manufacturer. They also told me that the 90 day guaranty was "subject to interpretation". I could not get an explanation for this outrageous comment. Anyway, I left last night with a replacement drill, but I also left with a sour taste in my mouth. There were not supposed to be any problems with the 90 day part, just the service after the 90 days. I am now comtemplating returning the damn thing and going with a different brand all together. One that I can purchase at another store.
    Vegetables are what food eats.

I've never had a problem returning things to HD, even after 30 days. You probably just came accross someone with an attidude. Consider using another HD.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I do know, think it was at the beginning of 2003, that HD tightened it's return policy---too many people walking in with a used tool (not really broken) or without a receipt----couldn't really blame them.

But have to laugh---"subjet to interupretation? " Since HD is the exclusive retailer (with minimal exception of Ridgid service centers) just how is one suppose to view that???? Frankly, I've dropped patronage at several retail stores, who within even the first 30-60 days refuse to credit a broken item that simply crapped out. I don't feel I should have to wait through the repair process for something that I didn't cause.
      Dave

Comment

daveferg-
        My sentiments exactly. Maybe I got a bad one. Maybe my HD is a bad one. With all these "bad ones" piling up, is it worth the risk and aggravation? I am sure that the managers at the HD would be happy to see me come back and return the drill I fought for so hard for yesterday. I am sure that they would like to give up the cash even less. I am going to give this drill a shot, but if there is one hint of a problem, that will be the final straw. No more Ridgid for me. I guess I will have to return the ROS as well...

Comment

And I remember that just a few years ago HD would take any broken Craftsman (or Snap-On,whomever was stupid enough)hand tool in exchange for a new Husky branded tool.They even had a plexiglass box to show all of the turned in competitors tools.

Now I have recently noticed that the Husky brand(formerly made in the USA) is now sourced in China and is just another generic disposable tool line.

I believe that the Kobalt line of wrenches is made by the same company that makes Snap-On.

Comment

I've had several sour experiences with the folks at hd. Sad part is , I install for hd . I can walk in with a smile , ask for 2 minutes of someones time and before ya know it im walking out swearin to never return. I had a very bad exp. with a 21 day return on an x2. I love for a hd person to argue w/ me and tell me "he's not aware of 90 day return, so I must be wrong." Oh well, I got another drill anyways and unfortunately for this guy ; i know some folks; he got a couple days off to reflect on life choices.
            you can never have too many tools.

Comment

Replacement drill. Chuck is malfunctioning. And I am having trouble changing from high to low gear. This one is going back and I am done with Ridgid. Wonder what kind of crap I am going to get at the HD? Will keep you posted.

Comment

Hi all. I just bought a 12 volt X2 and this thing so far seems very solid. I don't imagine that I'll have any real serious problems with it. I bought the 3 peice combo kit and the drill wouldn't self ratchet for me so I brought it back to the HD in Brantford and they took it back no questions asked. I just told them that the drill wouldn't ratchet and they took it right away. I then went and bought the 12 volt X2 because I figured that was all I needed anyway. I'm gonna buy the 71/4" Circular Saw in January. I like the Ridgid model, it's nice and light and I like the blade positioning.

Comment

I returned my second X2 last night and to my surprise, I had no problems whatsoever! I went with the Lok-Tor instead. I hope what I have heard about this drill is the truth. I will let you know what I think once I put this one through the paces. Since I have owned two X2's and now this Milwaukee in the last three months, I should be able to give a fair comparison. I will let you all know after I have time to play with the new one for awhile.

The initial impressions are that the Mil. is a no frills tool. No extras of any sort. Charger doesn't have all the lights and fans and is single bay. It does have a maintenance mode that allows you to keep the batt on the charger indefinetly without damage to the batt. The case is sturdy and has a compartment to store bits. It doesn't come with any bits and has no onboard storage for them. Although, the one that comes with the X2 is garbage and has a tendency to fall out of the clip. The weight seems to be about the same. They both feel heavy. The motor sounds much smoother and doesn't clack as much as the X2. We will see if it performs as well later. This is all I have right now since I have not had time to work with the new one. These are my initial impressions only and subject to change.

Comment

My saws all from the 4pc combo broke at the blade shaft. It was 2 months old. Took it back to HD, showed the guy at returns, he made a call to the back and with in a few minutes someone came up with a new combo kit, pulled out the saws all and away I went with a new saws all, no problems.

Comment

Customer service is important. But I'd rather have a tool that didn't break.

Jake

Comment

exUsairwaysmech,

Kobalt used to be made by a division of Snap-On, JL Williams, I think. But within the last year the design of the Kobalt wrenches changed, for example they are no longer polished, but are rough. The labels no longer say who makes them. My guess is that if they were still made by a company with the name recognition that Snap-On has, it would say it on the label/tag.

Lowes owns the name "Kobalt," just like Sears owns the name "Craftsman." Sears contracts out manufacture of the Craftsman tools. I've read that the Stanley Toolworks had made the Craftsman tools up to 1994 when they lost the Craftsman contract to Danaher (spelling might be wrong) over price issues. My guess is that Lowes wanted to get cheap and decided that the Snap-On name was not enough of a selling point, so gave contract to someone else.

Could kick myself for passing up the basket full of Snap-On made Kobalt metric sockets on 50% off clearance - they are all gone now.

Comment

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you had a problem returning an item at HD within the 90 day satisfaction guaranty. I returned my 14v X2 drill after 88 days, over the counter with no problems what so ever because I wasn't satisfied with it's power. Then I picked up the R922 18V combo kit, before the Dec.31 2003 lifetime waranty offer expired and the only complaint I have is that the kit does not come with a hard plastic case. If ever Ridgid wakes up to the fact that it is much more convenient and protects the tools from most damage during idle times, and decides to have a sub. create a plastic case, you can rest assured that I will be the first to buy one. Hmmm, maybe they want us to wreck the tools so they don't have to anty up with the lifetime waranty. RIDGID, wake up! I bought the tools with a lifetime waranty because I want them to last a lifetime!!! Also, I don't understand why the kit sells for $479.00 EA USD in the US but sells for $699 CAD in Canada. When I use currency converters, it indicates that it should sell for $618.437 at today's rate and even less on the day I bought it!

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
                            Customer service is important. But I'd rather have a tool that didn't break.

Jake
                            Add a me too to this but_____add a nice warranty just in case. Chet does happen!
                            \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

Kobalt is *still* made by Snap-On. The change to me seems to be in marketing.

The original Kobalt was made to Snap-On specs expect for a few cosmetic differences. My brother (a professional mechanic) has numerous original Kobalt tools.

Hmmmm... The pros have to eat dinner eventually too, so when the dollar is tight, but they need something good, are they going to buy Snap-On or the the same thing without the "Snap-On" logo for 1/4" the price?

The Snap-on marketers probably figured this out and changed the spec on the Kobalt stuff. That way, they can force those who need specialty or top-quality stuff into the Snap-On line for top dollar. Lowe's and the weekend warriors aren't really going to raise as much of a fuss.

(Not only are the new Kobalt tools not polished, they are also made shorter and packaged differently.)

It would be very similar to RIDGID and Ryobi being identical except for the color. RIDGID would never sell, so they'd cheapen the Ryobi. Just an example. I am not saying this actually happened. But the Kobalt thing is mostly believable.

Comment

Working...
                              X