X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty on eBay tools

Are Ridgid power tools purchased on eBay covered by the 3 year warranty and eligible for the "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" ?

My guess, and that's all it is, would be NO unless the seller happened to be an authorized Ridgid dealer. Even at that it still might be iffy. It would be pretty hard to properly register for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement without a receipt.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave,

I'm not sure about this. Some of the eBay ads I've seen offer the receipt as part of the package in order for the buyer to be able to get the LSA.

If the seller already has registered for the LSA, isn't it just a question then of giving the buyer the LSA registration ID number? I'm not sure, but I don't recall the LSA being tied to a name/address. I thought it was simply "take the tool in to a service centre, present your LSA ID number, and get free servicing on qualified parts."

Dave

Comment

Canadave,

I'd be surprised if it was really that easy. The LSA is tied to the tool's serial number, name and address of registrant, and the registration number that is assigned to that tool for that person.

Certainly if you could buy the tool from the initial purchaser (or receive the tool as a present), and also receive the original receipt, carton with the UPC, etc.; all should then be fine as could then register the tool; and, who would say that you weren't the initial purchaser or receiver of the purchase? But, if registration was already done, receipt fraudulent or non-existant, then you probably would be without any warranty.

CWS

Comment

D'oh...you're correct as usual. I just went back to Ridgid's website and looked at the actual LSA...to get service under the LSA, you not only need to have the LSA card, but you have to bring personal photo identification. It also clearly says that the LSA "may not be transferred"--so you can't give it to someone else.

So, getting back to the original question...I guess if the eBay seller sent you just a valid receipt, pre-LSA, then you could apply for the LSA without a problem. After that, though, I think the LSA is probably toast.

Comment

If the LSA is a big deal to you, I would suggest against buying a Ridgid tool on ebay. The people who are buying kits and then selling off the individual tools may be able to provide you with a receipt but who's to say Ridgid will honor that receipt. Personally, if I were Ridgid, I wouldn't honor a receipt from a retailer that isn't an authorized Ridgid distributor/retailer.

On the other hand, if the LSA means nothing to you and you find what you consider a good deal on ebay then go for it.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
            X