X2 Crapped Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2 Crapped Out

I was working with my 18v X2 drill this past weekend in a remote location and the drill crapped out on me. I was drilling half inch holes through floor joists and the all of a sudden the drill just stopped. I tried the other battery and nothing. I had to stop my project in the middle and was really pissed about that. This pile left me high and dry. When I got home I tried to charge the batteries and they will not even turn on the fan on the charger. I guess that they are fried along with my drill. I am still in my ninety day period and I can take it back, but do I actually want to deal with this kind of crap in the future when I can't go to HD to get my problem resolved? Should I assume that I had lemon or are these new tools really that crappy. I am really steamed that my drill gave up the ghost that fast. Prior to this weekend, I had no complaints whatsoever with this drill. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? Thank you in advance.
    Vegetables are what food eats.

Only thing I can think of is to check your switches----on my Makita, if you bump the speed switch between contacts of high and low speed, the drill will stop.

Otherwise, it's up to you, but if it were me---I'd take it back and get another brand. I know just how frustrating wasting time with a bum tool can be in the middle of a project.

While the work you were doing was certainly heavy service, there's no reason the drill should have quit. FWIW---this isn't the first post about trouble with the drill.
    Dave

Comment

What 1/2" holes are heavy service??? for a 1/2" drill....Wonder I didn't burn mine out drilling all those 3/4" holes in the studs of my barn..Guess having it in hammer mode is the only thing that saved me....Bob

Comment

I didn't think that the half inch holes would too much for my drill. I have tried my switches. That was the first thing I thought of. I could not believe that the thing had died, so I switched all the switches and fiddled with everything, but nothing worked. It is not a switch because the batts won't take a charge or even turn on the fan on the charger. My main objective with my question was to find out what I should do next. Replace the Ridgid, and take chance with the warranty, or to go to the red or yellow.
        Vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

Does your charger have a reset switch or have you tried unplugging and plugging it in? Probably not, but thought I'd mention it.

Well---it's your choice. Know I'd be looking at something with a proven track record, in light of the pre-mature death. Red, Yellow or Magenta---take your pick
          Dave

Comment

Like posted before I wouldn't consider 1/2" holes heavy service. I did a test with my 18v x2 and drilled 73 holes with a 1" auger thru old painted rough sawed 2x6s on a single charge. I'm thinking you got a bum drill, this happens with all brands and is why the 90 day no questions asked return policy. I'm not saying you should dismiss this event or that you should stick with Ridgid tools, but I'm going to stick with them as my experience thus far has been wonderfull.

Ryan

Comment

One of the guys at HD said they are having alot of returns do to electric problems I think I would take it back and get a makita, dewalt or milwakee my drill chuck lasted 3 daysso I got a makita I do not have time to run it to service everytime I use it on a job

Comment

Working...
              X