"Lifetime" Waranty and HC Batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrandMan:
    Yes Dan, a lifetime warranty is marketing. All warranties are. They are also a promise that is carefully crafted to be something that the company issuing it is willing to fund and back.
    Well said, BrandMan. At the risk of sounding like a cynic, I expect that some team gathered around a conference table literally calculated the worst-case cost of providing that promotional warranty, and included it somewhere in the rollout cost analysis.

I also suspect that someone, somewhere, is under strict orders to make sure that there are NO BAD DAYS during production of the tools to be sold during this period. That's a good thing, actually -- it will develop a habit of strict QC that will endure long after the promotional period. One thing that has been learned about offshore production of tools (or anything else, for that matter) is that in many cultures (like China and Taiwan)the factory workers will only produce top-quality product when they are actively monitored and held to high standards. The fit and finish of the new Ridgid tools I've seen so far speak volumes about the quality of the QC staff in the plants where these are being built. And, those motors surely won't be found in even the best of Ryobi's "stuff." These are tools made to compete with the "big boys." I think you'll even see them in plumber's trucks before long.

I don't think the HD stores will be putting very many RTV tags on the new Ridgid power tools. I'll be very surprised if I ever learn otherwise.

D.

Comment

Brandman,

You state a very compelling case for the quality of the new Ridgid line backed by the Lifetime Service Warranty which includes "normal wear" items, and since it includes batteries, this becomes very attractive and provides a great deal of confidence to the future purchaser.

It seems a pity however, that this is only a sweetener for the 3 month introduction phase of the new line. Since come January 1, 2004 as well as the Lifetime reverting to 3 years as we are all aware, the "normal wear" statement also disappears!

So much for your confidence in this new battery/charger technology...just really a carrot dangling during the PR and intro phase of the marketing plan I guess. Worst case a minimal number of purchasers are out there with this hot Warranty, stating what a great product and what a great company to stand behind their products in this way. The ongoing purchasers from January have a conventional 3-year Warranty where Ridgid has stepped back from it's backing of "normal wear". Quite sneaky eh...

David

Comment

At least we have moved beyond discussing the color!

The intro warranty offer is a motivation to try the new tools. The 3 year warranty is the best warranty in the industry. We are fully supporting the product. I guess I would challenge that someone should burn up a tool first and see how we handle it rather than speculating or debating it.

Comment

Good comeback. Like many others, I'll be buying a cordless tool during the next three months specially to take advantage of the lifetime "normal wear" policy. Most likely next year for further stationary tool purchases since we know that if there is going to be a warranty claim it's usually in the first 18 months or so of hobbyist use.

Almost, but not quite the best Warranty in the business. That now goes to Milwaukee. Who on October 1st will roll out their 5 year Limited Warranty, leaves Festool and Ridgid in second place with 3 years and Delta and 4-5 others with 2. Only Lifetime out there now seems to be the WMH Tool Group (Jet, Powermatic, Performax). They have a Lifetime "on selected tools",their just not saying which ones!

Yep, I'm keeping a scoreboard! - must get a life

David

Comment

BrandMan,
            "At least we have moved beyond discussing the color!" . . . and that happened when we got to see that these things don't really glow-in-the-dark like the colorized photos.
            All of the issues that any of us have had about the transition have fallen away as the truth is exposed. That seems to leave the only concern being if OWT will in fact live up to their warrantee. And as you challenged ". . . that someone should burn up a tool first and see how we handle it rather than speculating or debating it", I too, will become a "crash test dummy" and see how you do. I'm trusting your word, BrandMan, that you, Ridgid, and OWT won't let me down.
            If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

That seems to leave the only concern being if OWT will in fact live up to their warrantee.

Um, you misspelled "RIDGID" there... I don't give a flying fig what OWT does, as the man said earlier, "we know where Ridge Tool is".

Dave

Comment

Hm...

Are there any discounts coming up for the Christmas season? I am thinking about outfiting my shop w/ all Ridgid tools and could benifit from the Lifetime warranty and perhaps save some money.

I need a planer, joiner, miter saw, a nice cordless drill. Now, only if there is a way that I can convince my wife that this is the best route to go w/.

- Jimmy

[ 09-24-2003, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: jip ]

Comment

Dave,
                  That is one of the issues I continue to wrangle with. The Warrantee http://www.ridgid.com/manuals/RIDGID3yr.pdf states:
                  This product is manufactured by One World Technologies, Inc., under a trademark license from RIDGID, Inc. All warranty communications should be directed to One World Technologies, Inc., attn: RIDGID handheld and stationary power tool technical service at (toll free) 1-866-539-1710.
                  So regardless of what BrandMan or the anonymous MrMan say here, the piece of paper in the box is the contract.
                  Knowing where Ridgid is doesn't mean a thing unless you're going to make a pilgramage to BrandMan's house to show him what an excellect new axe handle you have added to your tool box, and ask him if he'd like to see how it is used.

Comment

our role, and the role of RIDGID, Inc. as you noted in the warranty statement, is to make sure that the warranty is executed consistenly. By Ridge Tool or by OWT. I would ask that you not split hairs on who is behind it but rather look at the brand on the name plate. It is RIDGID that is backing the tool. Regardless of who is behind the name plate - it is our job to make sure that execution is predictable to you.

Comment

BrandMan,
                      I wouldn't split hairs, except the stated sentiment and the experience of others with OWT has been less than satisfactory, and Ridgid has not exactly demonstrated a White Knight to the Rescue approach.
                      At present the picture is that Ryobi, not Ridgid, is OWT's model for customer service, and that is almost as bad as my Health Insurance Provider's customer care.
                      Poor customer service has run more than one company into the ground, which I trust Ridgid will take corrective action, and not allow to happen.

Comment

the stated sentiment and the experience of others with OWT has been less than satisfactory

I'm not sure if I'm played the Devil's Advocate or not, because I've never dealt with OWT even a little bit.

But, if you're referring to the recent transfer of RIDGID/ETC service over to them, and the ensuing SNAFUs, maybe a little grace period should be granted? Think back a couple years to when Delta's service was moved to Tennessee to be with Porter-Cable. That wasn't even a change in company, and it was a nightmare that lasted around a year.

I would hope that the folks at RIDGID will not take lightly destroying such a long-lasting brand name.

Dave

Comment

Jauto98, I bought the R922 kit and I had the dw4kit2 as well. In my opinion the ridgid out performs the dewalt quite handily, and don't let it being a new product scare you it's from ridgid. I probably sound like a company rep, but these tools are the best I have used; and I buy a lot of tools.Oh, by the way, the drill will turn a dewalt backwards so fast it looks like Cheetah doing backflips.

[ 09-24-2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: johnboynotbilly ]

Comment

Johnboynotbilly wrote:
                            -----------------------------------------
                            "...the drill will turn a dewalt backwards so fast it looks like Cheetah doing backflips."
                            -------------------------------------------

Now you don't see tool reviews doing this kind of test in a torque shootout !! Cool!
                            Let me see... 1, 2, 3, 4.... Uh Oh.

Comment

Hey Brandman, does this warrantee apply in Canada as well? It appears that although we are on the same continent Canada and the U.S. have different rules when it comes to warrantees.

Comment

Brandman, I too would like to know what this great warranty will mean up here in Canada. The guys at my local HD have said that the Ridgid Rep. is comming in next week with the first shipment of your cordless drills and this "too good to be true" warranty is the selling point for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X