X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x2 18V recip saw SUCKS

Well its official, on 2nd use of SECOND saw, the chuck broke AGAIN. At least this time the whole chuck didn't fall off, I just lost the detent pin. This time I was only cutting 1/2" plywood.

I LOVE MY DRILL AND SAW, but the recip is just a useless paper weight.
    OH WELL, last time, I just took it back to HD, this time, I guess I get to see what the cust service is like.
    Some people\'s lack of a sense of humor ruins life for the rest of us.

Wow, got email fom someone at OWT saying that they are sorry for the problem, and please send me my address, they will get a new one out right away. I didn't even contact them, they saw this post on here.

Now that is customer service. I will let everyone know when I get it. I am not the happiest with the recip saw, but thrilled with my experience with owt.

John

Comment

I can now see why they do not offer lifetime guarantee on tools any more. I own several woodworking tools before they switched to the orange and with all the bad things I hear about now, will not consider purchasing any of their cordless tools. I will stick with my Milwaukee brand.

Happy to see that customer service has improved but is no substitute for a decline in the quality of the the products.

Comment

John, finally someone posting some positive comment, had to read the post twice - that is great Customer Service! I have only used my recip for a few jobs but have cut both metal and timber and the saw performed well and didn't shed any parts

Comment

Have purchased the 4 pc kit and have to say I am in love with all of the tools! The drill simply outperforms the others 2 to 1. The saw is a little low on RPM speeds but cuts nicely. Would recommend getting a extra set of batteries to keep ya runnin at all times though. Would recommend to any professional or homeowner.

Comment

I have worked all four tools mercilessly and have had no failures.

Comment

Great news----sounds like they are finally getting back to the customer service all the oldtimers got so spoiled with.

I do find it interesting that of the new tools Ridgid introduced, the only ones having problems are the cordless. But, in fairness, I've never felt a reciprecating saw was ever the best candidate for being a cordless tool. Whenever I've used my corded saw, it really takes a lot of hard work/abuse. Even though the cordless is convienent, I like that honkin' power to destroy things.
              Dave

Comment

Hmm I am a contractor and use my Ridgid combo set all the time and have never had a problem. I got them back when they had the lifetime warranty deal in October.

Comment

Well, a week or so later, still no replacement. I got an email from OWT and they said that they were having a problem finding a replacement???? Not sure I understand that, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
                  I was a contractor too, and have had a lot of different tools. I liked the ridgid from the start, but have had some problems.
                  The first recip broke when I was using "the torch" blade to cut some thinwall tubing on an old swing set I was cutting up, it lasted about 2 seconds and then broke off right behind the chuck. The second saw I was using "the axe" blade and was just cutting a door way opening in some t1-11 when the blade popped out of the chuck, I noticed some metal shavings around it, I tried it again, and made it about 12 more inches and it popped again. Too me, it looks like about 1/3 of the detent pin is missing. I have used it a couple of times since then on REALLY LIGHT cuttin, with no probs, but was using a metal blade to cut some small wood strips. but that is it.
                  I will let everyone know when OWT comes through.

John

Comment

The ridgid 18 volt recip saw is not well designed from an ergonomics standpoint, either. If you use your forefinger as your trigger finger, as I do, it is difficult to reach the lock off button with your thumb. Don't know about the durability, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by tyxlc:
                      The ridgid 18 volt recip saw is not well designed from an ergonomics standpoint, either. If you use your forefinger as your trigger finger, as I do, it is difficult to reach the lock off button with your thumb. Don't know about the durability, personally.
                      I don't like the button myself.

Other than that, I have worked it like a rented mule and had no problems.

Comment

I don't like the button myself.

Wow we agree on something

Comment

Originally posted by Dubbin1:
                          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I don't like the button myself.

Wow we agree on something </font>[/QUOTE]I'll even say the Dewalt has a better button. Their batteries suck though.

Comment

I ran my DeWalt and the Ridgid recip saws side by side last night just for $hits and giggles and the DeWalt just seems so much more ummm....refined.

Seems like a strange word to describe a reciprocating 'demolition' tool, but it runs faster, and it is a lot quieter and smoother than the Ridgid. Also easier to hold onto and what you all said about the trigger and the safety switch is definately true.

The drill beats the crap out of my DeWalt XRP 18v hammerdrill - and since I use it every day it was the deciding factor. The saw I'm sure will still meet my needs anyway so it's not a really big deal.

The circular saw seems good so far. I've only used it once but it stacks up to the DeWalt.

Overall I'm quite happy so far.......

Comment

Hi, just wanted to let everyone know I got my replacement yesterday. It was shinny and new, and it came in a box from Ryobi [img]redface.gif[/img]

All in all I am quite pleased with the customer service.

WAY TO GO OWT!!!!

John

Comment

Working...
                              X