X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de walt guy(this ought to be funny)

yesterday a young man walked up on the job and asked if i was hiring,and always looking for good help i took 20-25 mins to talk with him,and he seems to be ok.young and thinks he knows more than he really does but he is respectful and honest(i will get to that in a minute).so when i ask what has he done he told me 2 years framing 6 months trim.i asked do you have tools and transportion "yes sir brand new ford f-350 4x4 and almost every dewalt tool that is made"was his answer.i then looked this kid over real good and asked how old are you?he's reply "21 sir."oh god how i hate being called sir.at that point he saw we use all ridgid and porter cable tools and says"sir why dont you use dewalt tools they are the best money can buy aren't they?".i told him i didnt care for spending $130 on a black and decker saw for starters" any way i called his refs the frist guy told me his mom is a local judge and his dad is a high dollar lawer in washington dc,and he enjoys working with his hands(nothing wrong with that)but mom and dad buys him every thing(lots wrong with that)but because he uses dewalt tools the kid thinks thay are all that and a bag of chips too(been there done that).the second guy told me the same thing about mom and dad but got mad at him because all his tools and truck and house are nicer that his own(good reason to fire some one oh well there are people like that on this earth).when i talked to the kid this eveing i asked what kind of money was he looking for he tood me"i was hoping for $12 an hour but my saw just burned up so i guess $10 an hour would be fine sir"i crack a joke about he's brand new dewalt saw and told him to meet at the job monday at 7 am and i will pay him $14.50 an hour just keep your black and deckers at home i supply all power tools i will keep you guys posted as the days go on
    9/11/01, never forget.

OSC, I'd be careful hiring a kid who's parents are "legal eagles!!" "NOTHING AGAINST ATTORNEY'S HERE"

I hired a 22 y.o. kid a few years back that thought he "KNEW IT ALL!"

When I fired him for screwing up, more than a 1/2 dozen times, the next thing I knew I was getting a letter informing me that my "presence was requested in court" along with a summons.

His Dad, an over-priced, over-bearing, attorney was suing me for wrongful dismissal.

Well long story short, in the end I did win the case, but it took 3 work days, lots of headache, and hiring an atty. to get it resolved.

Just be wary my friend!!
    Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
    Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

I think it's great to see kids like that, who obviously could have any type of job, willing to work hard for a living. I hope he works out well.
      Jeff

Comment

Sounds like you might have an eager worker. What needs to be evaluated is his willingness to learn and ability to grasp concepts.

When you ask him to do something, if he does not know how to do it, will he go fumble through or will he ask for help.

If he gets it right, does he keep getting it right?

Is he afraid to ask why? As long as it is not misinterpreted. SOme folks will misinterpret someone asking why as having their experience questioned, whereas what he is really asking is "teach me, why do we do it this way"

I am eager to see if this young man works out!

If he works out, I am eager to see how long it takes for him to trade in his dewalt tools
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Cujo wrote:
          I think it's great to see kids like that, who obviously could have any type of job, willing to work hard for a living. I hope he works out well.
          Don't get me wrong, I've had many 19 - 25 y.o.'s show up on jobsites eager and willing to learn. I am honored when they, in as much, ask me to teach and/or mentor them in the trades (most have no or very little skills in carpentry) so that they can become "contractor's" too one day.

For approximately every 6 that I hire, 2 turn out or stick-it-out, long enough to actually acquire the necessary skills it takes to become proficient as a "Carpenter" or "Craftsman."

As I'm sure you all know, the trades are severely hurting for young men and women who want to learn the proper way to build and/or remodel houses. When one comes along, who actually wants to learn the trades, we have to seize the opportunity to teach them what we know.

Most of the work I do is historic renovation and remodeling on late 17th & 18th century homes. So finding young people who are interested in finding out the history of these homes and how to bring them back to their original grandure is truly "music to my ears."

But when it starts costing me money because you have someone who either, doesn't get it or figures that they really don't have to listen {as was the case in my previous post on this subject} then I have to fire them or go broke on that particular job. Which brings me to my next sentence.....

My POV about OSC's recent hire, is that I've dealt with the types of kids that come from priviledged homes with the proverbial "silver spoon" in their mouths. Most, more often then not, think that Mommy and Daddy's status gives them a "special pass" that exempts them from anybody telling them that they are wrong, or being fired from a job. Again, not all are like this, but I have seen my share of them!

I hope in OSC's case that this young man works out and becomes a true asset to OSC. I'm just trying to give OSC some, food for thought, to fair on the side of caution. It doesn't hurt!

Time will tell! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-27-2005, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: CARPENTERDON ]
          Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
          Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

why not try the kid for a couple of months as apprentice.. and if it didnt turn out as you expected, like what donald trump use to say: you're fired! (hope you wont get summons from the labor department)

Comment

well i showed up to find him there already(i get to the job 45 mins before every one else),and chris (new hires name)was very eager to get the day started.on friday we set trusses on both ends of this house. today we had to hand frame the center with a 24/12 pitch(we build two sections on the ground and craned them on friday.(to give us the ridge beam)so while i was scouting out what had to be done today he jumped on the roof and figured out the lay out was and angles for everything(i was not aware that he was up there)when he came down he had got about 10-12 2x12x20' on the bench and started to put the marks down on one when i saw what was going on i asked what was he doing he then told me "i got this it's ok sir"oh god i hate being called sir.i told him if he cut them and they were wrong he would pay for it so just cut one if your that sure(remember i was unaware that he was up there)he cut it handed it up and i'd be dammed it fit(good job chirs)a few of my guys was messing with him trying to get him mad he took it all in stide i have to say so far so good oh in case you guys are wondering yes he realy like the r 3200 cicular saw but he does have the same gripe about it alot of guys do "no brake" makes no diff to me though.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

he turned out to be all right eh?

i remember when i started in the construction field me being young and harassed and hazed by the older guys and getting dirty looks/trash talk for bringing my brand of tools to the sites. such is the subculture in the construction trade that i eventually moved on never to look back.

Comment

I think in most of our fields, most of that early development stage, which is so important. that tyou get the hazing, and such out of the way, but also click on the crew and make it a good team to do business with.
                  \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Yes the culture on a construction crew can seem harsh. The men who do this work have a hard dirty life ahead of them. They want to know if a newbie will have what it takes for the long haul before they waste their time on him. If the guy is all prissy and soft, and can't take a joke or a razzing, then he probably cannot be counted on when its 100 degrees and there is an unreasonable deadline.

Once a guy proves his mettle over time then most razzing stops, its just part of the informal vetting process. If the young man in question proves himself over time then great, its always nice to see someone of priviledge earn what he gets.
                    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Back in the mid '70's I took a job on the railroad as a carman (car maechanic). My dad was a straw-boss (foreman) on a different trick so I took a lot of crap and figured that I had it coming. But one old fella kept grinding on it long after I'd proven to be a good 'helper' and then a 'mechanic' (that was the progression in that trade at the time). Paul got on my case in the lunchroom one day and I said to show me something I did wrong or get off my back and called him an 'old goat'. The other vets in the room practically cheered and gouded old Paul real hard the rest of the time. Paul and I got along really well after that and I came of age that day. You have to tough it out in life and then, stand up for yourself. Life requires that we bear the load and endure to the end. Sounds lie Chris is off to a good start by taking the guys jags in the right vein. GOod luck to ya both!
                      Chiz
                      Later,
                      Chiz

Comment

Did y'all know that to get PC tools repaired, you now take them to the DeWalt service center? Or will when the rest of the PC repair stores close---since B&D bought out Delta/PC.
                        Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

Is that everywhere or just in the cities that had both a PC and DeWalt Service Center? Seems logical to me that B&D wouldn't need both in the same city.

The other side of the coin is that at least both PC and DeWalt customers have someplace they can go locally to get their tools repaired. Where I live, I can get all of my tools worked on locally except my Ridgid stuff. I need to drive 140 miles round trip to the nearest Ridgid service center.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I don't know about cities with only PC stores---but there are a lot of stories about the PC store being merged with the DeWalt store---happened here in KC---and just read about somewhere in California with the same thing.
                            Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

well it's been about a month and chris has turned out to be a real joy to have around and i wish all my guys were so eager to work .the only complaint i have so far is he keeps calling me sir(god i hate that)i have a feeling that in 5-6 months i might be able to make him crew leader. just not sure how some of the others will that that though
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X