X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching low volt tools for higher?

If I buy the 14v impact gun can I use my 18vx2 batterys in it?

NO
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

papadon is correct. Different voltage tools will not interchange with different voltage batteries.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber:
        papadon is correct. Different voltage tools will not interchange with different voltage batteries.
        Well it is certainly possible to use the 12 volt batteries i have in the 18 volt tools i have. Not sure why one would do this...but they do fit. I tried this one day when i grabbed the wrong battery for the flashlight. Put a 12 volt one in and it worked. So i attempted to put a 12 volt battery on the 18 volt drill and it worked. Not sure if this is harmful or like I said why anyone would want to use an underpowered battery.

Comment

An 18v drill uses a motor designed to run on 18 volts, so using a 12v battery decreases the performance of the drill and overworks and overheats the battery, which, overtime, shortens the life of the battery.

Comment

RS, well put. It also is not good for the tools motor.

Comment

August issue of WWJ posed that very question to Bosch and in short the answer is no, they stated that motors are calibrated to run within certain voltage parameters and varying the voltage could lead to motor overload and batteries could be damaged due to excessive power drain.

Woodslayer

Comment

Another way to look at it is; Would you plug your 120V tool in to a 220 V outlet?
                Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

Plugging a smaller batt into a larger tool or vice versa is just plain assinine.

If it were meant to be, then why would the tool companies offer different voltage tools!?!

Swapping batts. is VERY detrimental to the tool. It will void the warranty on the tool too.
                  Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                  Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

funny how only one of you paid attention to what I was asking. I was not asking to put a smaller battery into a larger tool but the LARGER battery in the smaller one. Thus I received my answer by the only person who was paying attention "DAWG"
                    I just thought it would be nice if I could put to use some of the xtra batterys I have when the 14V goes dead. In case I found my self in a jam with no juice and needed a good battery. end of story

Comment

Before you start flaming everyone who gave you correct answers I strongly reccomend rereading your post and everyone elses replies to it.

The answer is no. Pay attention to what the others were saying to you.

Comment

Thank you for giving me some credit for a correct answer MC.
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

drakahari: "...I tried this one day when i grabbed the wrong battery for the flashlight. Put a 12 volt one in and it worked..."

I have the 12V X2 drill. One thing (maybe the only thing!) I like about the Ryobi drills is their flashlight. The shape makes it especially handy.

Anyway, are you saying that I can use my 12V batteries with the Ridgid flashlight? Perhaps a different bulb would work better? TIA

Comment

Thanks Mad_Cow, The answer to your original question is: No, but it will work realy fast and with high torque for about 2 minutes before the smoke comes pouring out of the motor and possibly starts on fire. Don't do it. Every motor is designed to run on a specific voltage, if it is higher or lower (running a 14.4V on a 12V or the opposite) it will at best shorten the life of the tool.
                            Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

Working...
                            X