No announcement yet.

Official Limited Lifetime Service Warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toolesq, you missed the point of Woody's post. He bought tools under the "Lifetime Warranty". The tools are only a year or two old and he cannot get them to honor the warranty.

Before all of the recent changes happened, under the old warranty you could call Ridgid and get a replacement part in a few days. I received that kind of service on my RAS. It is what convinced me to purchase the TS2424, TP1300, and JP0600. Lucky for me, I could not afford to go out and purchase everything at once like Woody did or I may be in the same boat. I have since bought a Delta Drill Press and I am getting ready to buy a Delta or Jet Bandsaw.

Even if Ridgid eventually gets around to honoring their warranties, I don't like the way things have played out. Above all, what I value in people (and Companies) is honesty and integrity. I don't think Emerson exhibited either of these the way the switch was made to OWT. Between this and the way that they are handling warranties, they have more than likely lost my business forever. Just as I often touted how great Ridgid because of their customer service, I now tell people to stay away from their tools; at least until things change for the better.
    Mark

Comment

An actual bad experience is certainly significant. However, my point was to address the many people who are merely speculating about all the potential dire consequences of buying a newly designed Ridgid tool under the existing warranty. I expect that with any company, there will be a few customers who have a bad experience. In fairness, I would like to hear if there is anyone else who has had an experience similar to Woody in order to determine whether it is indicative of an ongoing problem, or whether it is more likely an anomoly. Perhaps Brandman could address Woody's situation and explain Ridgid's side of the story.

Comment

Your'e right, I agree that you can't base everything on one customers bad experience. Though I don't come here as regularly as I did before the "big change" I do seem to remember reading quite a few posts about other people having problems too, but I might be mistaken.
        Mark

Comment

At one time I used to look at & drool over Ridgid tools & was about to purchase one but with all the problems Ridgid is having & the way that they are handling these problems I will never purchase a Ridgid tool.

I do enjoy coming here there are a great bunch of people here.

But purchase Ridgid tools NEVER...........

I completely by-pass the Ridgid tool display with out even looking at it when I'm in the store.

[ 11-15-2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: VLL ]

Comment

Toolesq, do you really think you are going to get to see many posts on this forum similar to Woody's? Do you really think Brandman is going to respond publicly?

Don't forget the part of Woody's post where he says "You may choose to delete this post as you have others of mine."

Comment

Sounds like Rigis is starting to duplicate what I had experienced before with Jet.
              Maybe we need to say screw them all and revert back to hand tools!
              Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Since I am a web developer, not a business major or lawyer or a tool expert, I may have a different take on this 'controversy'

RIDGID has not even bothered to correct the glaring typo in the “Lifetime Warranty,” this would take a matter of seconds, but they seemingly do not care.

I assume you know that we get this stuff from lawyers, we don't make it up ourselves here in the web development shop of the Ridge Tool Company. Do you know any lawyers who respond in seconds? [img]smile.gif[/img] Sure, I could go in and edit the warranty and make it say anything I wanted to in "a matter of seconds", but that wouldn't mean much, would it? And does that "glaring typo" change the meaning of the warranty in any significant way?

Let us make this perfectly clear, presently THERE IS NO LIFETIME WARRANTY. There is only a warranty that ambiguously covers promotional purchases for the "lifetime of the tool."

All I know about these things as a web developer is what I read on the web. With that in mind, I Googled "Limited Lifetime Warranty" to see if this warranty is different from others of the same type.

Try it yourself and see what you think.

[ 11-26-2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Norm ]

Comment

I just talked to my better half about this, she is in Law School (though not a lawyer yet, so this is not in any way legal advice) and this is what she had to say:
                  "Get the literature and save it, if in the future they try to back out of what the literature states, you can claim detrimental reliance." Detrimental Reliance seems to be a fancy lawyer way of saying that if you rely on what someone promises (ie. you buy the tool based on the brochures) they are legally obligated to provide it. I don't know how well this will work, you would probably have to go to court to enforce it. Any full blown lawyers out there want to give some feedback on this?

Comment

Here's the thing. For many of us the next purchase of a Ridgid product will not be a major investment (i.e., more than $1,000). I say buy the products based on their features, not the implicit warranty. Look at it as though the implicit warranty is an added bonus.

If Ridgid fails to adhere to any of its representations in its warranty implied or otherwise STOP BUYING RIDGID tools. All of you together posses the power to cause extreme hardship and significant reduction of market share for Ridgid if they do not live up to their offerings.

As an aside, I find it quite interesting that Ridgid has provided a Lifetime Warranty for purchases between September and the end of December, but the only tools available (at least in Canada) are cordless tools, and a few hand-held power tools. WHERE ARE ALL OF THE STATIONARY TOOLS PROMISED AND WHY CAN'T WE GET THEM DURING THE LIFETIME WARRANTY PERIOD?

Comment

This is in response to the post about "detrimental reliance." I am a lawyer, about 13 years out of law school. Detrimental reliance is a required element of fraud. It must be shown in order to establish that one acted fraudulently. Essentially, it means that you must have relied to your detriment on the representations of another. In the context of the Ridgid warranty, you must not only have relied on the misrepresentations of an advertisement or HD employee in making your decision to buy a certain tool, but it must have ultimately been detrimental in some manner. This means that even if you come to find out the warranty is not what you were led to believe it was, unless you suffer some loss (such as a defective tool that would not be repaired or replaced), you have not actually relied to your detriment. You may have some recourse on a contractual basis that would allow you to return the tool for a refund, but I think it would be unlikely that you could establish fraud unless you could show that the tools are actually of a lesser quality that advertised. So far, I have not seen this to be the case, either in this forum or in my own experience.

As for keeping any advertisements or other literature that shows the warranty, I think this is a good idea. Part of the value of these tools is the warranty. If this warranty turns out to be less than advertised, I believe that your ability to point to certain advertisements that highlight the warranty will be critical to getting a refund or replacement if the tool fails.

Despite all the speculation over the wording in the warranty, only time will tell. If you like the tools, buy the tools. If they do not match up with other brands, don't buy them. Don't buy a tool solely because it comes with a warranty that you may never need. Buy it for how it performs. The warranty is added value.

Comment

To make it clear, I did not buy Ridgid JUST because of the warranty. I did 3 months of researce, and narrowed down over a dozen manufactures to 3. There were sevearl factors that made me decide upon Ridgid, and I looked at each machine individually, not as a shop as a whole.

First of all, I had a budget to work from, so more of the expensive brand names were crossed off the list. I knew what I needed for what I wanted to do, and had the list of machines I needed.

Second, I looked at company history and it's reputation. I visited forums and spend hours reading what problems the various machines had, how quickly problems were solved, and how that process took part. I emailed several companies asking much these same questions. Some never responded and were crossed off the list.

Third, I took that information and weighed it against the availability of each machine. I needed to get the machines, set them up and find a location for each in the shop in order to determine the best way to distribute electrical components for them. Ridgid availability was a trip to HD with my truck and trailer to acheive every machine at once, no shipping charges.

Forth, I purchased magazines, and visited web sites to read tool reviews. My feelings on tool reviews is that they can be swayed if the company advertises in that illistration. Ridgid, however, did not advertise at the time.

Fifth, I looked at customer service. Buying machines should not be something you should look at for warranty service immediately. They should be quality controlled units. But it has to be looked at. Research found that a simple call to Ridgid would yield the fastest response time in getting any defective part replaced under warranty. And, any worn part you needed to purchase and replace further into the life of the machine.

Sixth, I compared each machine individually with the ones left on my list. Compared specs, reviewed my notes taken of my research throughout this process.

Deciding factors for ALL Ridgid machines came through Availability, Return policys (Through Home Depot), Speed of parts and accessories through warranty and purchases from the manufacture along with shipping costs, Company Reputation, Customer Service and Tech Support, and the Warrantee itself.

Unfortunately since my research many of the items I research the answers have changed with Ridgid, which does not make me a happy camper.

With the Reputation Ridgid had, it would seam you would expect channels would have been put in place before the changes to insure that existing machine owners would have parts available at a timely many. They obviously were not. This taints the Company Reputation severely.

As time progresses, we will see if the promotion of sales stay the focus of the tools and machines more than service after the sale.

It would be in the best interest of Ridgid's Reputation, to anyone doing research before major purchases as I did to have whom ever it is handling warranty and parts to revert to the phone call method of response. This Service Center method is a big slap in the face to customers who have to return a brand new machine to a Service Center that won't return calls for a problem solved by shipping a simple component. Such as the actuator handle on my miter saw. Or the motor on my scroll saw.

I did not purchase the Warrantee, I purchased the machines based on serveral factors based on information obtained over a 3 month period of time. Just to clarify, the customer service, warranty and the way it was handled, and tool availabilty with expense of acheiving the machine were the last deciding factors in crossing out each machine on my list of needs.
                        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I just picked another Ridgid tool the other day and talked to the HD manager about the lifetime warranty. (This HD sells more tools than any other in Canada). He mentioned that they view the lifetime of the tool in the context of its intended use.

He told me a story of a guy who recently bought a 3/8" $50 drill (1 year warranty) and absolutely pulverized it within a month or so by mixing mortar, drlling concrete etc, 8 hours a day. he described it as the worst condition he has seen.

The HD manager refused to offer any return or service on the tool, at which point the customer threw a battery at him (he missed). The only recourse for the guy was to send the drill to the mfg, which probably did him no good.

Moral of the story? Beat the crap out of your tools (misuse) and the lifetime becomes very short indeed.

Comment

Before the changeover, I always laughed to myself about the much touted "lifetime warranty." Like Woody, I tried to buy tools where I wouldn't need the warranty----since the product was well built in the first place. No warranty will ever repay you for lost time (both being unable to use the product, and aggrevation of getting it repaired. Besides, there are some tool mfgs. who don't advertise a lifetime warranty, but if your tool has a clear-cut manufacturing defect they fix it, warranty or no.

I will say, I don't ever remember hearing about any limit on what is considered (by the mfg.) the working lifetime of a tool. Heck, with most of the stationary tools, if built right, lifetime could be your lifetime and that of your lucky, nearest relative, when you go to that big shop in the sky. I certainly think, while it may or may not be the intent, it sure seems the new wording is a bit, (intentionally?) slippery.
                            Dave

Comment

FOR ALL THESE YEARS WE GOT BY WITH 2 3 5 YEAR WARRENTIES ON TOOLS THEN ONE DAY RIGID COMES ALONG AND AS AN INTRODUCTION TO THERE NEW CORDLESS TOOL LINE THEY INTRODUCE A LIMITED LIFETIME WARRENTY. JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS?
                              IF PEOPLE ARE WORIED ABOUT THE WARRENTIES, OR WHY THERES NO HARDCASE KEEP IN MIND THE PRICE DIFFERENCE IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THEN MILWAKEE AND ITS A PRODUCT THATS BEEN TRIED AND TRUE FOR YEARS ALSO THE REPS AT MILWAKEE GO ABOVE AND BEYOND IN STANDING BEHIND THERE PRODUCT 100% SO STOP ALL THE SNIVLING AND ENJOY LIFE ITS MUCH TO SHORT FOR ADOLESCENT BICKERING

Comment

As a newly registered member of this forum I thought I would add my 2 cents worth in reference to the Rigid promotion. I own several Ryobi 18v tools. I need new batteries at $59 each. I just hung up from talking to the Rigid Tech folks. They assure me that the lifetime warranty is just what it says. You can take your tool or batteries back to Home Depot for the first 90 days for a replacement but after that they have to go to a service center. Two things I asked about got this response. The batteries are date coded. You will only have a lifetime warranty on tools or batteries that are dated before 12/31/03 and you have a 3 year warranty on batteries. Before that 3 year period is up you need to take them to a service center to be replaced in order to get new ones. Make sure you have made copies of your Home Depot receipt as they fade out. You all may have read this before. Also the tools must be purchased by 12/31/03. No rainchecks are good if HP runs out.

Comment

Working...
                                X