Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now if we could get all tool purchasers to save this same brochure, we could have a class action lawsuit protect our interests.

=)

Comment

As a professional Rigids warranty offer is very attractive, but where does personal responsibilty lie nowadays. It's almost non existant in this country anymore! I dont expect rigid to replace my drill after 3 or four years of hard use and a few 1000 drops. I may try but I wouldn't be butthurt if they didnt. I think many of you are making too much out of nothing. I have demo-ed the tools and am thouroughly impressed. I trust the company and will be making a purchase in the not too distant future. Wouldnt it look nice next to your aluminum pipe wrench!See ya,

Jon

Comment

Hello!

I work for an airline and we are constantly using our cordless drills on various projects. One of our biggest concerns is battery life. As I went over the warranty I was as concerned as you. I just wanted to get some information as to what the Ridge Tool Company responded with in regards to your posting.

Comment

The "LIFETIME WARRANTY" is not for a lifetime, it's for the lifetime of the tool. So what is the lifetime of a cordless drill, a battery, a vacum, or a tablesaw? Are they all the same? Are any of them more than 3 years? Who will decide the length and using what criteria? Surely a tool will last longer in the hands of a homeowner who barely uses it, compared to a pro who uses it every day.

Comment

INTERESTING! The following message was posted to this thread several weeks ago, but mysteriously disappeared. Are RIGID Moderators now resorting to deleting messages with legitimate concerns that they may not like or agree with, rather than answering them?

Here is the original message that disappeared:

For those of you sending us private messages and emails here and on many forums linked here asking if there has been clarification:

***WARNING***: NO! Neither RIDGID nor One Word Technologies has satisfied ANY of our concerns nor provided anything meaningful in writing nor offered to correct their written warranty to correlate with what they are promising verbally and in their marketing literature. We are receiving the same type of “reassuring” messages and emails from RIDGID that are posted within this forum. The actual warranty remains unchanged. RIDGID has not even bothered to correct the glaring typo in the “Lifetime Warranty,” this would take a matter of seconds, but they seemingly do not care. Accordingly, we have not made ANY new RIDGID purchases and would not recommend doing so based upon the “Lifetime Warranty” promotion unless RIDGID does officially address our concerns within the “Lifetime Warranty,” itself.

RIDGID continues insisting that we call them, but chatting with them on the phone defeats the whole purpose of asking for written clarification within the warranty. On the phone, RIDGID has someone who succeeds in smoothing things over and reassuring us, but these types of verbal promises are worthless other than making us FEEL good! Will this same smooth talking person even still work for the company years from now when a tool needs serviced? May we bring an audio recording to the service center as proof of what was said? Of course we could try, but it would do no good, as ANYTHING that is not included within the written “Lifetime Warranty,” document is expressly excluded.

RIDGID and One World Technologies make, “NO WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR PROMISES AS TO THE QUALITY OR PERFORMANCE OF ITS POWER TOOLS OTHER THAN THOSE SPECIFICALLY STATED IN THIS WARRANTY.”

All these reassurances on this message board by BrandMan and others are INSIGNIFICANT and are specifically EXCLUDED with regard to the actual written "Lifetime Warranty," itself. The written warranty specifically excludes any implied warranties, promises or guarantees that are not written within the warranty. So while these reassurances may make us feel good at the moment and may even encourage some to purchase the tools anyway, when the time comes for servicing these tools under the warranty, what has been said here on the message boards has zero value to the consumer other than ammunition for lawsuits.

This is FACT, cut and dry. No interpretation here. A promotional purchase is covered for the “lifetime of the tool,” by One World Technologies. RIDGID has nothing to do with the warranty. There is quite a bit of interest here on these and other forums about the “Lifetime Warranty,” but the fact is that the warranty only covers what is stated in writing within the warranty, period. You may receive a letter similar to the preceding sentence from One World Technologies in the future when requesting lifetime warranty service.

Prospective consumers: Let us make this perfectly clear, presently THERE IS NO LIFETIME WARRANTY. There is only a warranty that ambiguously covers promotional purchases for the "lifetime of the tool." The lifetime of the tool is completely left to interpretation and, in the future can be interpreted to suit RIDGID's and One World Technologies’ needs, NOT YOURS.

For example, in the worst case, One World Technologies could legitimately claim under the current warranty that the lifetime of any worn-out tool is over. After all, if a tool is worn out, then the life of the tool is over.

We will give RIDGID some credit for the ingenious promotion of this “Lifetime Warranty,” and, in fact, I believe their intentions are nothing but the best. I have not seen a campaign or offer like theirs in a great while.

We do believe that RIDGID does intend to offer a lifetime warranty and does intend to fulfill all the verbal and written promises that are not contained within and specifically excluded by the “Lifetime Warranty.” However, what we all must realize is that we generally all have good intentions, but intentions are not what matters in the long run. What matters in the long run are actions. RIDGID is required to take NO action within the “Lifetime Warranty;” NONE. And, One World Technologies is only required to repair tools for whatever length of time they deem is the “lifetime of the tool.”

A warranty is a written promise to perform or act. Down the road, if RIDGID and One World Technologies decide that honoring their verbal descriptions or interpretations of the Lifetime Warranty are becoming more expensive than they would like or that the marketing effects of having offered and honoring implied warranties and promises are no longer resulting in significant dividends in sales and reputation then RIDGID and One World Technologies may choose to and is only obligated to perform EXACTLY what is within the written warranty.

Yes, I may seem a bit miffed in this response and I apologize, but I could have not spelled out the problem and solution any more clearly for RIDGID in my original post or message. Yet, weeks have gone by and nothing substantial has come from RIDGID or One World Technologies. Is this an example of how the “Lifetime Warranty” will be handled?

Unfortunately, this may be so.

Tools for the professional, manufactured, supported and serviced by the unprofessional? RIDGID, please show us, not tell us, this is not true.

Comment

Man, I just can't help but think this is put out by a Ridgid competitor that's feeling the pressure. Let's just spread the seeds of doubt and see what happens. It may not be officially put out by another brand but this isn't how a legitimate company negotiates. You know if Ridgid hasn't responded by now, it's safe to assume they won't. So keep the tools you have and pass on the Spurious claims that you fear may be concealed within the warranty.

Comment

I have read in areas of this forum about the "Lifetime Warranty" covering batteries also. Is this in print somewhere? I also bought a 1550 drill press yesterday...is this covered by the warranty offer? Supposedly the program is ending on the 31st...is there a written specification as to the promotion period?

Comment

Actually, you probably work for ridgid or have stock in the company, or know somone that does. I think the questions raised here are legitimate and at the very least deserve a response. Why would you not want the warranty to be solid and specific? I bet you typed your response from a Home Depot computer or your desk at One World Technologies or own or are related to someone that does. Everyone else would benefit from holding a copy of a solid lifetime warranty on their tools rather than a wishy-washy warranty for "the life of the tool" that was disguised and sold to us as a "lifetime warranty." Its very fishy that ridgid does not reply in public or ammend the warranty to match what is being advertised. If they really do stand behind their tools, then they would have no problem clarifying the warranty so that it covers us for our lifetime instead of the life of the tool, which might only be one year.

Originally posted by idle hands:
                  Man, I just can't help but think this is put out by a Ridgid competitor that's feeling the pressure. Let's just spread the seeds of doubt and see what happens. It may not be officially put out by another brand but this isn't how a legitimate company negotiates. You know if Ridgid hasn't responded by now, it's safe to assume they won't. So keep the tools you have and pass on the Spurious claims that you fear may be concealed within the warranty.
                  [ 01-28-2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: thetool ]

Comment

How many remember that for years Sears had a lifetime warranty on all Craftsman® branded tools. Remember when this went away and excluded power tools?

As Woody and others said, make your purchases based on the quality of the tool and how well the company stands behind their product, not on some carefully crafted warranty that appears to offer more than does.

Example: I emailed Snap-On a few weeks ago about some screwdrivers I bought in 1974, yeah, 30 years ago! The plastic handles were breaking down and I wanted to know if they knew what might have caused this. I was thinking age or exposure to some solvent over time was the culprit. the emailed me back within two days to say that they have been replacing tools with these type handles for years. All I had to do was contact my local Snap-On dealer and he would replace them with their current equivilents no charge, easy as that. Now the 12 screwdrivers and other special tools I have are valused less than a table saw, but I probably paid close to $150.00 for all these tools back in 1974. Since 1985 I have probably bought less than $100 in Snap-On tools, my current work doesn't require me to supply my own tools nor the type of tools that they specialize in. So I feel that Snap-On really did me right in standing behind their product, and this will influence any future decisions to purchase tools that may be in the Snap-On line. I will most likely buy a Snap-On tool over any other provided it fits my need.

Comment

Hey Thetool

Just thought you should know that

NO TOOL COMPANY WILL BE AS SPECIFIC AS YOU ARE ASKING.

Times change, competition changes, things change. It's the world we live in. I was reading my Powermatic manual today and noticed how vague their language is on warranty. Basically giving them an out for just about everything. Such as you pay shipping, bring in product for examinatin if defective, etc.

However, my experience has been that Jet / Powermatic bend over backwards to serve the customer no questions asked. They do this so that in the future if the company's survival becomes an issue, they're not bankrupt by warranty issues. Have to leave some flexibility.

Thats why I choose to buy my tools from them b/c they have been in the tool busines for LONG TIME as well as Delta. Been through lots of storms and consistently provide service through thick & thin. All warranties aren't worth the paper they'r ewritten on except for the company behind them.

Jake

Comment

Actually, you probably work for ridgid or have stock in the company, or know somone that does..."
                        Or perhaps YOU work for _______ (fill in the blank with Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, etc). I don't have any affiliation with any of the companies you cite, but what difference does that make? The sole reason this thread was started by RIDGID1 was to spoil the satisfaction that owners or potential buyers may have with their purchase. The warranty is what it is, if you don't trust the company, don't buy the product. I for one have no intention of organizing a class action suit if the motor fails on my table saw. If Ridgid claims the life of the saw has been exceeded, I'll buy a motor elsewhere and be on my way.
                        I don't expect a lifetime warranty to be a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

I bet you typed your response from a Home Depot computer or your desk at One World Technologies or own or are related to someone that does...
                        You lost your bet...

[ 01-28-2004, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: idle hands ]

Comment

Ok...you should never really buy any product for the warrantee...ask electricians to part with Klein tools vs. Craftsman...(and both companies make good stuff)....

LETS STICK TO THE PRODUCTS...I'm not a woodworker like most of the guys on this site...but I try to give honest feedback on the products...PEOPLE ARE TALKING FAR TOO MUCH ABOUT THE WARRANTEE AND NOT THE PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCT...everyone should look at the small print....but who would care about warrantee if you have to return the tool many times...

I have 18vlt 4 pack and a 12 volt drill...I also bought 12" miter saw...during life time warrantee period...I bought these tools primarily because my relationship with the pro desk manager at my HD...I consider him an honest person...and I think the tools are sturdy and tough...I bought 1 month ago...and I remodel almost full time...landlord/contract work...I have used the tools a combined over 120 hours...They can stand the punishment...my only real negative is the sawzall...which has a poor design on the mechanism that holds the saw.....

If I squeeze three years of life from these tools...I will consider them great....I know that I will have to replace batteries in a year or two...

I think we all have a love for tools on this site...In addition to this set I have the new Milwaukee set which is just as fantastic...I need two sets in case one goes down I have a back up...I also have helpers which have no power tools...and I have multiple corded tools from DW, MIl,, Mikita Bosch & PC

My opinion that I would like to convey is that most contract grade tools are good..(Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi & PC)...there are issues to each individual user what features are important to them.....that will make their purchase decision...also like many have mentioned keeping up with the Joneses on prestige or branding...

Ridgid has cut the "mustard" with quality as far as I'm concerned...the people who don't like small issues in the warrantee need to return the tools for another brand....or dust the tool off and enjoy them...

Yes I do think there are people on this bulletin board who are from other manufacturers trying to dissuade purchasers to return the tools or prevent future owners on deciding for themselves.....

Comment

Just my 2 bits....

Analysis paralysis.

I just recently purchased the TS3650, not because of the warrantee, but because of other factors such as price/value. This weekend I will most likely by the new Ridgid jointer. Again not because of warrantee but because of price/value.

To me this warrantee is just an added bonus and I personally think for the most part, too many people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Not in every case such as the gentlemen with the band saw issue, I think he has a very legit complaint.

And "NO" before anyone claims that I work for any tool company... My career is FAR removed from tool manufacturing, marketing, warantee authorizing or anything that could be associated with tools.

Comment

Hey Moon,

As far as conspiracy...it’s the guys who talk but do not own the brand...

The woodworkers are serious about their power tools..ya know precision and accuracy are paramount......I on the other hand tend to be more about framing and finish work...which is more Neandrathal in nature...

Comment

Originally posted by paul v.:
                                Hey Moon,

As far as conspiracy...it’s the guys who talk but do not own the brand...

The woodworkers are serious about their power tools..ya know precision and accuracy are paramount......I on the other hand tend to be more about framing and finish work...which is more Neandrathal in nature...
                                I used to frame houses. Decided I didn't like getting rainded on in the winter and went to college so I could get out of it. HOWEVER, it was one of the best occupations I have ever had. Taught me a LOT of valuable skills. I don't miss getting rained on, but I do miss the work sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X