Ridgid Planer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Planer

I went to Home Depot to buy the Ridgid 13" planer (on sale). There was apparently a "newer" model and the "old" model. The older model was $50 less. I asked, "what was the difference?" Of course the Home Depot employee didn't have a clue, even though the sign said the older model had an Emerson motor. The "head" tool guy came over, and of course he knew even less about the planer - claiming they were the "same," even though the specs. were different (RPMs among other things). So, my question remains - "what's the difference?" Is the Emerson motor not good? What replaced it? Is it worth $50 more?

I have the older model, and it's an a$$ kicker of a planer. I know nothing about the new model other than the color. Personally, I'd take the one for $50 bucks less.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I'm new to this forum and have come looking for answers to the same question. So, anyone know the answers or where else we might find them? I'm thinking of getting one of these planers and wonder if I should go with the new model or try to find a left over?

Comment

I have the older planer and it works like a champ! I would go for it with the $50 savings. I have planed all kinds of boards and had no problems. The only thing I need to remember is to clean out my shopvac because it creates soooo much saw dust!

Comment

Popular Woodworkings latest issue has a tool review for 13 inch planers. The Ridgid TP1300 came in second place behind Dewalts new 3-blade unit. They liked the ease with which the Ridgid blades changed as well as saying that the motor was very efficient electrically speaking. I dont recall if thy had tested the newer orange model or the older grey unit.

Cheers!
          Chris Berg

Comment

Go with the older grey unit. I did and love it.

Comment

Bergybits - I think there should be some clarification about the Pop WWing comparison. The comments stated that the Ridgid was "ultimately beaten out by the more feature-laden DW". Nowhere does it state that they picked it second. All the other planers were beaten out by the DW also, but that doesn't assume them all to be their second pick. Not giving mention to the Delta is a huge oversight IMO, because they gave the Delta a "best value" award over the Ridgid (and all the others) which is priced only $1 more than the Delta in the spec tables.

They don't mention a "second" place pick in the article, but I think you could put together a stronger arguement for the 2-speed Delta, since it's the essentially the same price as the Ridgid and doesn't even list a dust diverter in that price. I don't own any of these planers, so I'm not trying defend one or the other, but I did want to clarify to prevent an inaccurate statement from being repeated.

Comment

I'm also looking for a planer. So far I'm leaning towards the DW 13", 2 speed, although the Delta 2 speed is considerably cheaper. Most of the reviews I've read have always said good things about what-ever-brand the writer bought. So found your comments interesting.

Comment

Working...
                X