Question for TS2400 owners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for TS2400 owners

I've been reading past posts about the saw (ts2400 series) and was wondering if those of you who own the saw are still happy with it, aside from exploding motors and such . If you had to do it all over again would you still purchase it or spend the extra money for a different saw. What made you purchase the saw, the compact storage of it, the portability,the cost?
    Thanks,
    JJC

I don't own one, never used one even but FWIT I read last night an article in October 2003 issue of Woodworkers Journal (next to me now as matter of fact)by Charles Shelf, pages 92-93, about selection of TS2424 as "Tools That Endure"...he's used about 5 years now it says and he's nary a thing negative to say...here's summary of final evaluation: "easy to assemble" - "moderately priced" - "nicely finished" "with a fence that may be a bit of a lighweight, but is otherwise fine" - "plenty of power for hobby and light pro woodworking" - "Two fairly minor objections arise because there's no T-slot for miter gauge and no front bevel on the table." Goes on to say "other than that, it's a solid,long-lasting tool and a terrific value" And selected as a Tool that endures for these reasons.
    Sheeesh - I must be bored to type all this but I like it when I have someone/thing that has seen a long term useage by (supposedly) neutral party.
    Now - this also was the grey one per pix so I don't know if they have changed anything on that model either.
    Anyway - take it FWIT to you.
    Now my question to you - there any still out there new?
    Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

First of all Cranky thanks for the info. Now to clear up my question a bit, the model I was wondering about is the job site saw on the
      work-n-haul cart, sorry [img]redface.gif[/img] if I got the model # wrong.
      Thanks,
      JJC

Comment

JJC- it was me actually-likely-whatever. Like I said I have never used but this was just something I had read last night and happened to be next to me on counter when I logged on.

Just attempting to get this thread jump started for you - everyone's napping I guess. Or working -which is what I cannot get going on today. Have a case here of 4 new kittens that "appeared" somehow - last night/this am 2 decided it would be just dandy to get into the DC ductwork. Dare not turn on system as result would be messy - and cannot spook 'em out with saw running after I disconnect from DC. I rapped on duct - they go here, there...rap louder they freeze and wait for me to stop, then play away. Keep thinking I'll get them to scoot and fall thru a drop but nooooo. They having a blast going here and there ---- sooner or later the lil' tummies better start to get real hungry tho and they'll come out. I hope Sure don't wanna take it apart to get them lil' buggers.

Wish I had stayed with smaller ducting now - knew a reason was there to not do it besides cost

My biggest fear is that my DC will really be a "piece of crap" when I get to fire it up

Any volunteers to help clean it up
        Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

JJC,
          I've had the TS2400 for 2-1/2 years. Really wanted a contractor saw but space (no matter how you slice it) would not accomodate.

Personally I think its great. I have it tuned to the max as I am a perfectionist, and I am very happy with the results that I get. My shop is in the basement so if I need to use the saw outside I can, with some effort, haul it out (I do not have the rolling stand).

I really like the new orange models even more since they have miter slot with a T and a few other nice features.

As far exploding motors and the non-stop warranty discussions go I have not been swayed. There will probably be even more hiccups as the manufacturing switches over to OWT but I personally like the style and ergonomic of the TS2400 and would buy again if the same situation came up.

Be forwarned though, the TS2400 uses a universal motor just like all the other benchtop brands and they are a bit noisier than an induction motor.

Good luck in making a decision, the most important thing is that YOU are happy with whatever decision you make. Otherwise ever time you use the equipment you will second guess your decision and think the grass is greener on the other side.

PS I have heard some people say they like the the Porter Cable model but I know zero about it.
          Let me see... 1, 2, 3, 4.... Uh Oh.

Comment

I have a Bosch 4000. If I had to do it over again, I think I would go for the TS2400. While I like the splitter setup on the Bosch better, I think the fence on the Rigid is much better. I'd love a contractor saw, but like you, don't have the room. So far, I think the saw is more accurate than I am, and a heck of a lot better than a straight edge and a circular saw.

Comment

I guess I and my two colleagues are the only ones to have had this saw arbor melt..what are the chances of that?
              The saw layout is great...the motor and drive sucks. Period. And what good is the layout without that?
              ...where\'s my &*#@ pencil??!

Comment

Originally posted by jsc:
                I have a Bosch 4000. If I had to do it over again, I think I would go for the TS2400. While I like the splitter setup on the Bosch better, I think the fence on the Rigid is much better. I'd love a contractor saw, but like you, don't have the room. So far, I think the saw is more accurate than I am, and a heck of a lot better than a straight edge and a circular saw.
                I will never part with my Bosch 4000 best saw around....at any price...

Comment

Working...
                X