X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee 18 V Right Angle Drill and 18 V sets

I've been a DeWalt man and solid believer for the past year. The local DeWalt factory center has backed my 14.4 XRP drill solidly and without issue and replaced batteries and overall taken care of me in a way that leaves me saying that DeWalt backs their tools very well. So this leaves a real feeling of security in my DeWalt Tools.

I've been in the market for an 18 V 4 piece set for a while now (gonna buy one in October or November). I had my eyes set on the Dewalt XRP 18 V set (circ Saw, drill/driver, recip saw, and light) however I was thinking of adding their 18 V right angle drill to the set later on however it doesn't appear as though it has the juice I'd like to see. It only has 310 in-lbs of torque according to the DeWalt website.

The new Lithium Ion 28 V Milwaukee Tools have really caught my eyes however it doesn't appear as though they will have anything in the way of a right angle drill out in the near future for these batteries so I'm leaning towards getting an 18 V Milwaukee set primarily b/c they have a 18 V right angle drill that has 550 in-lbs of torque and is rated to cut 2 9/16" holes which is plenty for me and which I would add to the set by just buying the tool alone. It sounds like it'd be great drilling holes with 1 1/2" & 1" self feed bits for running plastic (wirsbo-pex) water lines through joists in ceilings and/or studs, as well as 2" and 2 9/16" holes for the odd cast iron 2" and 1 1/2" trap arm,etc.

I'm just curious if anyone here has any expierience with this right angle drill in particular and what they thought? I'm also curious if anyone here has a 18 V Milwaukee set with their drill, sawzall, circ saw, and light and what are your impressions of it? My understanding of Milwaukee in general from reading this board and talking to others is they seem to be a cut above as far as heavy duty and quality to that of others being made primarily in the USA, or much of their tools anyways (don't debate this, please, I've already read a few threads on this on here).

Another one of my concerns is the Milwaukee warranty. They have lots of shops that will handle their warranty repairs, etc, but I don't believe I will get the same hassle free no BS service I do with DeWalt from their factory service centre locally. However that one tool - the 18 V right angle drill is just about enought to sway me over - that's why I am asking. Do you think these tools are pretty flawless as is? Are there any battery issues or are they pretty solid as well? How about battery life as far as stamina per charge? Also, if you have had to do warranty repairs, etc, how has your expierience been? Thanks for any info you can shine on the topic.

[ 08-19-2005, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Scott K ]

I contacted Milwaukee and they said that they indeed have plans to bring out a 28 Volt Lithium Ion Right angle Drill in the first quarter of 2006 as well as a rotary hammer and job site radio.

Sounds like it'll be a cordless hole hawg!!

I guess I may just wait til '06!

Comment

Scott,

Milwaukee does very well with their warranty coverage. If you can wait for the new release it will be worth your while. I have no connections to their company other than using their tools for decades. They take use and abuse.

One note: During this time of war, Milwaukee Electric Tool has recieved numerous awards for its stellar treatment of their employee/soldiers when they have been called away to duty. No other tool company that I am aware of has treated their soldier/employees with as much respect and dignity as the red tool company.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Thanks Plumber for your response, I really appreciate it.

I think I may end up having to wait. But the thing that sucks is the new condo's we are plumbing will probably see water lines and the like (when I'd need the right angle drill most) around October unfortunately. I need that right angle drill asap! I want nice tried, tested and true holes all in line with each other where a regular drill fails with self feed bits due to it's bulkyness/size and difficulty in getting between joists which the right angle drill is perfect for. Perhaps I'll contact Milwaukee to see if I can arrange something?

Thanks again.

Scott

Comment

Scott,

Their 18v metal cutting circular saw is great for plumbers. The regular blade is great for all thread rod, iron pipe and unistrut. They have a non ferrous metal blade that does an excellent job on copper pipe as long as you are doing type L or k. The M copper is too thin and the blade beats it up too much. You can toss a wood blade into it for cutting backing material but the metal cutter does not adjust for miters.

Scott, if you get the 18v kit, get the one with the hatchet sawzall instead of the regular one. Once you get used to it you'll never want to use another brand of reciprocating saw for plumbing work. Also, while Milwaukees radio does not have a charger,they honor copy right laws, it has much better sound than the other two leading competitors.

Comment

Hey plumber,
            Thanks again for your input.

So you're saying put a metal cutting blade into the circular saw and you use it to cut unistrut, copper, threaded rod, and iron/steel pipe? Just a question - don't you end up with problems with burrs on your threaded rod? Some of the guys I work with use a chop saw but I can't stand the chop saw. One of the reasons I found is you have to move to the stationary chop saw, the second of which the burrs if they aren't properly trimmed down with the side of the chop saw while it's on, are often a PITA to deal with, where I find the hacksaw a little more foregiving in this regard and also much more mobile despite the little bit of elbow grease you gotta put into it.

I'll definatley take a look at the hatchet - I wonder if there are plans to put out a 28 V hatchet. Must be!

If you were me, would you go 18 V or 28 V?

Thanks again,
            Scott

Comment

SCOTT, THE METAL CUTING SAW IS NOT A REGULAR CORDLESS CIRC. SAW. IT WAS DESIGNED FOR CUTTING STEEL. IN FACT IT DOESN'T CUT BEVELS. THE TORQUE AND SPEED IS 1 FACTOR, THE GUARD AND SPARK SHIELD IS ANOTHER FACTOR. ALSO THE BLADES DON'T COME CHEAP. I'VE CUT 1.25'' GAS PIPE ALREADY INSTALLED ON HANGERS. THE NICE THING IS NO SHAKING LIKE A SAWZALL, NO HEAT LIKE A CHOP SAW. TAKES ONLY SECONDS TO CUT THIS PIPE. THREADED ROD IS NOT BAD, BUT I PREFER A ROD CUTTER. FAST AND NO BURRS. UNISTRUT AND SUPPORT CHANEL ARE GREAT.
              I'VE ALSO CUT WOOD WITH THE PROPER BLADE. 1 WORD OF CAUTION WITH COPPER. MAKE SURE YOU PULL OUT THE SAW DUST/ COPPER SCRAPS FROM THE TUBING. ALSO THIS ELIMINATES 95% OF REAMING TIME.

THE METAL CUTTER SAW IS A GOOD TOOL. I'M USING IT TUESDAY TO KEEP ME FROM RUNNING 200' OF CORD.

RICK.

Comment

Hey Plumber and Plumber Rick, I had no idea there was a seperate metal cutting saw and blade to accompany it. That's very interesting. I just took a look at the Milwaukee website and found it. It appears as though it's the same saw in a sense just a few different features but it's the same motor (3200 RPM).

So you said it can also cut wood? I just need something that does wood backing for me and if you think it will do cut 2x4 backing (just straight cuts) with a wood blade but it will also cut metal such as unistrut/steel pipe fine then I'm sold on the metal cutting circ saw.

Thanks,
                Scott K

Comment

SCOTT, IT DOES A GOOD JOB CUTTING WOOD. SINCE IT DOESN'T BEVEL CUT, YOU SHOULD GET A NICE STRAIGHT CUT. THE SAW LOOKS THE SAME AS A WOOD CUTTER, BUT THE SPARK SHIELD AND THE TORQUE OF THE MOTOR SHOULD DIFFER. IT DOES USE STANDARD BLADES FOR WOOD. ALTHOUGH WHEN I HAVE A QUICK CUT I DO CHEAT AND USE THE METAL BLADE. THE FACTORY METAL BLADE IS PRICY. APPROX. $45.00. GENERIC WOOD BLADE $10.00.
                  I THINK YOU WILL FIND THIS SAW A VERY GOOD ADDITION TO YOUR COLLECTION. ALTHOUGH I DO LIKE USING A ROD CUTTER FOR THE 3/8'' ALL THREAD. THE SAW WILL DO IT, BUT I PREFER THE ROD CUTTER.

RICK.

Comment

My prefrence for cutting rod, strut, and pipe has always been the portable band saw. It gives nice smooth cuts, and is easier to handle. I'd like to try that new Milwaukee 28v cordless version.

the dog

[ 08-20-2005, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: plumbdog10 ]
                    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10:
                      My prefrence for cutting rod, strut, and pipe has always been the portable band saw. It gives nice smooth cuts, and is easier to handle. I'd like to try that new Milwaukee 28v cordless version.

the dog
                      the dog

Comment

Yeah, Milwaukees band saw does a really superior job in all thread. But when i already have the metal cutting saw out it does a good enough job that(at least to me) does not make it worth my while to drag out another piece of equipment.

Of course, when I am putting up rod hangers all day long it is a different story. But for a dozen or so cuts the metal cutter does fine.

Scott, the 28 volt is going to cost you about 250 over the cost of the 18v. The red tool company said they have a lot more tools coming out for both the 18v platform this year and the 28 v lithium platform has about 3 new tools coming out next year. Depending on your financial situation I would get the 18v this year and wait for a year and then get the 28v version also. That way you will have the capacity to use all of the new 18v as they become available and then break out "DAD" when the heavy duty work calls for it.

Either way, good luck with your project this fall.

Comment

Yeah hey thanks guys for your responses, I really appreciate it. I am leaning more towards the 18 V right now. Primarily b/c there is an 18 V Combo pack with the hatchet in it (don't see a 28 V hatchet yet). I picked up the hatchet today at Home Depot and I was really impressed with how it felt and I can totally see myself use it to notch a stud in a tight spot to get a nice square cut where a drill or hole hawg wouldn't work. Also the smaller price is great as well as I won't have to wait as I need the tools this fall. Maybe then, in a year or two or three (when I get sick of the 18 volts) I could look at the 28 V tools when some of the bugs may have been worked out (if any - I doubt - I bet they worked them to the teeth over the past 9 years) as well as they'll have more tools out then on top of that where I can buy them at my leisure.

Your guys responses have really helped my confidence in Milwaukee tools. I'm looking forward to using them out in the field.

Scott

Comment

Scott,

There is a promotion going on right now where you can get either a radio, two batteries, multibay charger or the 1/2 inch impact wrench when you buy the combo. All are good products, I would choose the batteries or the impact wrench as the radio is only 89 bucks. I keep a fresh battery in each of my tools so I don't have to change each time a tool is picked up. So my personal opinion would be the batteries.

However, the impact wrench is great if you do much water main or other flange joint work work. You'll still need to do the final torque by hand but almost all of the rest of the work simply requires pulling a trigger. Your arms and elbows will love it. The 28v has almost 100lbs more torque and may not require the last snug by hand but I have not used that tool yet.

Sorry Ridgid, I know you have battery tools with your name on them but I cannot reccomend communist tools that are not up to the quality of the same professional standards as your pipe cutting and threading equipment.. Put your name on some better tools and get their production out of a communist country and I will change my tune.

Comment

Yeah my only problem is I live in Canada and this promotion takes place in the US only according to the add.

Comment

Working...
                              X