Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R83015 Drill makes clunk!

Hello,
    I am new to ridgid tools and this forum and have been a makita man for years until today, when I purchased a new R83015 Drill. I charged the batteries and fired that puppy up and all seems well except for the clunk it has when you let off the trigger, I take it that its the brake but would like to make sure this is normal?
    Also how does it stack up against the makita quality I have experienced for years?
    any imput is appreciated

The noise is normal. Appears to be a quality piece, but only time will tell. The appearance,fit, and warranty sold me on this drill

Comment

I haven't bought one yet but heard of the lifetime warranty. I am in the market for a new cordless and was planning on going back to Dewalt. I have Bosch now,24v system. The brushes keep burning out after a year or less. Unfortunately the brushes are not replaceable, you have to replace the whole drill motor. The motor listed for $80 but I contacted their rep. He had the whole drill revamped for free for me. Its been less than a year and its dead again because of brushes. I hope the quick electric brake you mentioned at the release of the trigger doesn't cause early brush wear on the new Ridgid line.

Comment

if it does then I'll expect them to fix it free

Comment

Dewalt makes same noise, its because of the way the transmission and clutch are merged together.bocsh for some reason do have brush issues in the cordless and corded been like that for a long time now.

Comment

I heard from HD today that the brushes on the ridgid tools are not replaceable either. has someone tried to play with the drill and see if you can replace them??

Comment

Brandman, are the brushes on the cordless replaceable?

Comment

No there aren't any replaceable brushes on the Ridgid cordless units. Ridgid does not make it's own cordless drill motors. The motors are made by Johnson. This is the same non-serviceable motor system employed by the Black & Decker home owner tools, Craftsman tools, and Ryobi tools. Milwaukee used to use these motors in their cordless until they wised up a couple of years ago and started making their own motors like DeWALT, Makita, and Bosch already did.

Comment

On the trigger clunk, I noticed that too so I went and played with a DeWalt, it does the same thing.

Comment

Guys,

Slow the drill down by gradually letting off of the trigger before you stop the drill. This may help the brake mechanism last longer. The brake is a mechanical brake.

I don't know about the RIDGID brand, but with a DeWalt, you'll go through several batteries before you wear out one set of brushes.

Comment

I had Bosch drills that did that. I now have the new Milwalkee and love it no clunk on the stop. It is the shaft lock. They have designed that nt to happen on their drills.

Comment

Working...
                      X