Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on drill chucks and mixing accessory

Question for the audience:

I have a Ridgid 12V cordless drill with 3/8" chuck. I'm wondering if it's possible to just buy a 1/2" chuck from somewhere and put that on? Or can I only put 3/8" chucks on this now?

Another question--the reason I want to do what I just mentioned, is because I want to get a mixing accessory for mixing paint or mortar (not that much, just a small pail every once in a while). I read somewhere that such a mixing accessory would only work well with a 1/2" drill bit size...is that true? Or is there some better way to do this?

Thanks!
    Dave

The Lifetime Service Agreement covers just about everything under the sun except damage from abusing the tool. Mixing mortar with a 12V cordless drill would probably fall under the catagory of tool abuse.

Why not just buy a cheap $30 or so ½" corded drill from Harbor Freight to have on hand for those every once in a while paint or mortar mixing jobs. A cheap investment when you consider what it will cost you if you break the Ridgid and then find out they won't cover the cost of the repair.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Fair enough [img]smile.gif[/img] Good point. I'll think about buying a cheapo drill just for mixing stuff.

It'd still be nice to switch to a 1/2" chuck anyway though...is that possible?

Comment

Considering that the dril was probably designed with the weight of a 3/8" chuck in mind and the 1/2" one might affect the balance a bit, I don't see why you couldn't put a 1/2" chuck on that drill/driver.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

As for the mixing bit you are looking at. Most all of them have a 1/4"-3/8" shaft. The suggestion for a 1/2" drill is for the power to mix real thick stuff that will burn out a smaller drill real quick. I use myu Bosch 1/2" hammer drill to mix stuff with.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Interesting...I guess that raises a good point. I wasn't thinking of mixing cement, I just wanted something that could mix ceramic tile mortar and grout, and give my arms a break [img]smile.gif[/img] Would such a task really be too taxing on the Ridgid 12V cordless drill motor?

Thanks,
            Dave

Comment

The best way to tell if a drill can handle the load of heavier mixing or larger holes, is to look at the amps listing or volts on cordless along with the R.P.M. rating. for a corded drill stay above 7 amps and go with at least a 14.4 volt or better for cordless. The reason tool companies put smaller chucks on tools is because the R.P.M's is higher which mean the torque is lower. Your high speed tool will not last long under heavy loads. I found this out the hard way!

P.S. stay with a professional (American) tool company, you will be better off in the long run.
              Unless you are the lead Dog, the scenery does not change...

Comment

Dave, thin set mortar and grout alike should both be mixed at low rpm. If you look at the mixing instructions they specifically state this. I use a 1/2" Milwaukee Hole Hawg at the 300rpm setting. I agree with BadgerDave, a cheap 1/2" low rpm, high torque corded drill is all you need and should serve your needs just fine. I personally would never reccomend using any cordless for mixing cement products unless they're very small quantities, thats not what they're intended for. As far as the chuck swap, I'd skip it, the drill was supplied with a 3/8" chuck because the drill / motor was designed for a 3/8" chuck. If you want a 1/2" cordless, buy one, you'll be happier. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X