Home Depot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot

Went to HD today (7:00 PM) to replace my 18V bat that will no longer hold a charge. The service lady had no idea what to do and of course the 800 number was no good after 5:00. I hope when I return tomorrow before 5:00 there will be no problem getting the battery replaced. Am I supposed to take it to HD for replacement? Ridgid is one of there biggest power tool products, should they not know the specifics of the warranty?

I do think you are due replacement. I am not sure if it is threee years or the life of the tool.You might have to return drill and all. It might be easier.You can find out for sure if you talk to the tool crib manager.

Comment

Tworx:

Even though Ridgid is one of HD's biggest tool suppliers; not all employees will know the exact way to handle. someone in the tool carrol should as well as all managers. Not mention Ridgid's warrenty is not HD's concern..it is Ridgid's. If HD does not take it back you may have to take it to a Ridgid Repair center. it depends on how the store wants to handle it.

Comment

I went to Home Depot this past Monday to replace two batteries. Both of them were over 10 months old. The manager was very helpful; he called a 800 number and was connected with the local service center. They took all my info and will call be back in a couple of weeks to pick up my replacement batteries.

Comment

riiiiiiigggghhhhhht.........

Comment

I would not hold my breath on a call from any service department on a warranty problem. I would call them asap to fix the problem before they forget about you. Get the name of the person that you are dealing with within the first minute of the conversation. This puts them on the spot if you do not get your item serviced properly. Do not hesitate when dealing with large corporations.

Comment

I strongly second jhr's advice. This goes 10 times over since you are wanting them to do something for you. Even though it is something they are supposed to do.

As an example, I'm still waiting for a call back from the hardware/tools manager at the local HD about buying a Herc-u-Lift + that I had wanted (note past tense). It has been over a week and a half, and she said that she would call me back the next day, after she called Ridgid. That is for a sale, which amounts to me giving them money, not a warranty claim, which amounts to them giving you something.

Comment

Just a comment, generally, on retail procedures. Since HD is the exclusive dealer for Ridgid power tools (I don't care about their little service centers), by far, the simpilist thing would be for them to just give you a new battery and to tag and put the old one in their spoils or however they get credited for bad merchandise.

Sadly, unlike the old days, when retail employees actually knew what they were doing, the combination of too many part-timers, low wages and lack of proper training-----the results of which we will all have to put up with for many years to come.

And, in my retail rant mode----what is Costco's secret? They, for the most part, sell products of excellent quality, at deep discounts, AND pay their employees living wages. While you may not expect or get help in a particular department, when I've had questions (say in electronics) they always send over an employee who actually knows what he/she is talking about----Oh, and returns----never a problem.
                Dave

Comment

Dave:

I know a little about how Home Depot does its returns. If they take back a drill from any brand...they send it back to recieving where it will sit untill that power tool's rep comes to inspect the tool. Based on numerous factors depending on the tool manufacture the store will either get credit for the returned product or they will not. If they do not then that is money they just lost by swapping the tool with you. So depending on the particular power tool reps in the area may determine how nice or mean HD may be when offering advice but it all goes back to my original statement eariler this is not HD's problem...it is the Power tool manufacture.

Comment

Bo, I would tend to agree if it was a Delta or DeWalt tool in question----but my point is that HD is the exclusive dealer and hence has a greater responsibility. Same thing as Sears being the exclusive dealer for Craftsman----it they offer a warranty---where else do you go?

As to damaged products (spoils), a lot has to do with the contract agreement. I seriously doubt that the Ridgid tool rep is going to deny crediting a bad battery.

Really, the whole thing still comes down to where is a person supposed to go to get satisfaction or to have a company stand behind their warranty? Besides, if HD simply makes good, with no hassle, they maintain a happy customer.
                    Dave

Comment

Dave:

I agree with you that more of the responsiblity does fall to HD with Ridgid then with DeWalt or Delta. However that does not mean that all tools that happen to die for whatever reason should get returned to HD. Ridgid offically has Repair centers and that is where the tool should go for the warrenty that Ridgid is supporting. Now you may be in the same boat as me in that there is not Ridgid Repair center because the only one in the area is the DeWalt Service Center and they tell me they will not repair Ridgid do to a long lead time to get parts...and appernetly customers are getting made at them for their tools being repaired for three or four weeks...so to solve that problem they were not going to repair the tools

Comment

That is the rub they want you to go to a repair center that doesn't know you from Adam. When you take the tool to the repair center, it is usually in tool sells also. So once your there which do you think they are going to work on first, your tool or the tool they sold?
                        I know HD sold Scott mowers and if they broke you were to take them to the friendly mower repair center. The friendly local mover repair also sold mowers. Guess which ones got fixed first. Of course the ones they sold. Hd now sells John Deere to get repairs you go to John Deere who also sells mowers. Who do you think gets the best care? The guy that bought at HD or the guy that bought direct from the John Deere store?

I had a friend buy a Polan chain saw from HD. It would not start after it got hot. He called the 800 number and did everything they told him. No fix. They told him to go the the local repair shop. He did, the repair shop told him it will cost you. He asked how come it is in warrantee? They said yea read the warrantee it cover defects this is an adjustment and we do not get reimbursed for adjustment work. They told him they do adjustments for their customers but they weren't doing it for free on HD saws. He called Polan and they didn't have a satisfactory answer. He took the saw back the HD and bought another brand saw a local dealer and loves how they treat him.

I bought a Toro mower from the dealer and he takes such very good care of me. There was a plastic part that got replaced the next year with a cast iron part. I notice it and asked if I could get one. He said call this winter and we come pick it up and will trade out the part for you. I did and they did. My neighor has a Toro he bought at a big box. I told him about the part. He went to my dealer and asked them, they said sure for $80 -$120 dollars we will replace it. Incidently we paid nearly the same price for the machines. I get superb service and he gets to pay dearly for what I get for free. Tell me how much he saved.

That my friends is why I buy at stores that either replace a defective purchase or have their own service center. The minute I find out they refer problems to 'x' repair center I stop buying. Exceptions are DeWalt and PC/Delta which have factory repair centers in town.
                        Rev Ed

Comment

Bo---see your point---but first, it's a battery----what is the service center going to "repair"? And, Rev Ed's comments are right on the money. If you are going to get shuffled off to a local service center, where the people may actually know what they're talking about----where they may have a full stock of parts for other brands, but not yours----well, you get the idea. When I was shopping for a chainsaw last year, I looked at HD's selection and for similar features, I went to a local dealer and got a Sthil, which has been totally dependable, plus, I have a dealer ready to keep me happy should something go wrong. With HD's prices (which are either at or slightly above going stree prices), without good customer service, where's the incentive to shop there? In truth, any more the only time I go into HD is for an advertised sale or if someone gives me a gift card for my birthday.
                          Dave

Comment

Dave:

I agree with you completely...I do not buy tools from HD. I buy them from a local tool shop and you better believe the service is outstanding...i call up tell him what i want. he gets it brings it to me and bills me. I never have to walk into a store and anytime something goes wrong..I call him and he picks it up. The prices are about 10% higher but it is worth it. I go to HD to look around and see what new things are out. that is about it.

Comment

You've got that right. AND, on maintenance/repairs, I've always been treated very fairly---never gouged, and never kept holding my "hat" waiting long periods for parts---if there's a problem, the let me know. So, from both of our examples, we're not strong HD customers and what gets said here, on occassion, certainly doesn't cause me to rush back.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X