X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee 5615-81 1-3/4 HP Router Kit

Any comments on the Milwaukee 5615-81 1-3/4 HP Router Kit? I've always liked the way it felt in my hands and I can get one pretty cheap.

I'd say go for the 5616-20 (or -21 with case).
    Same features plus 2 1/4 HP and variable speed w/soft start. I got mine from Amazon for only $10 more than the 5615 was priced for in the local big box stores. For $10 variable speed w/soft start and another 1/2 HP is worth it to me.

Comment

Heywood

I totally agree with Bob, for the minimal price difference there is no reason to not step up to the 5616 series, personally I have the 5616-21 and the case is worth the extra $5 unless you plan to permanently keep it in a table. The bottom of the base separates from the rest of it and you can use it as a stand, it incorporates a recessed hole that allows you to place the router on it with the bit protruding. I find the body-grip very comfortable to use, actually I don’t have anything negative to say about it.

On a side note, if anyone is considering the Mac-daddy Milwaukee, here is a link to a pretty sweet deal.

http://www.heavydutytools.net/Script...p?idproduct=99

Woodslayer

Comment

I would recommend the Makita RF1101KIT....it is the stuff when it comes to routers.

check it out:

http://www.makita.com/tools_Item_View.asp?id=776

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I ended up ordering the Milwaukee 5615 kit....couldn't pass it up for $89.99 delivered, and didn't dare spend a dime more.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

I too have the Makita RF-1101 Kit. ONLY reason is that the Milwaukee does not offer a plunge/fixed base kit. I liked that option and makita seemed to give you the most for your money
            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Yes, a combo plunge/fixed base kit is nice. If you are shopping for your first router is is probably the way to go. It would be great if Milwaukee made a plunge base for the 5615/5616 series routers. If they did it would a great choice for a first router.

I had a PC690 kit with the soft-start variable speed motor already when I bought the Milwaukee 5616-20, so did not need to consider that feature. What worked out nice for me was the PC690 and the Milwaukee 5616 use the same size collet wrench and nut, so if I want to take a bit out of one and use it in the other make router it is an easy and fast swap. The Milwaukee comes with a nice pair of collet wrenches where as the PC has the cheapo stamped steel ones.

The Milwaukee has a nice depth adjustment which the older style PC 690 does not and the 5616 has a nice quick release to remove the motor from the base. The Milwaukee also comes with a t-wrench for top-side height adjustment when mounted in a router table. The body grip on the Milwaukee I like too. After a year after I had both the PC690 kit and the Milwaukee 5616-20 I came across a fixed speed (24K RPM) PC690 router at a yard sale in great condition for $40. It had only the fixed base but I didn't care. I picked it up and now have three routers so I can leave one of the PC routers with a fixed base dedicated to the router table extension on the Table Saw and still have the other two set up with other bits and a choice of fixed or plunge bases without having to tear down a setup on the router table.

Comment

Hewood,

Is the $89.99 deal generally available or something that only you could get? Please post where if it is available to anyone.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by RobH:
                  Hewood,

Is the $89.99 deal generally available or something that only you could get? Please post where if it is available to anyone.

Thanks,

Rob
                  Hi Rob - Amazon has the refurbed 5615 kits for $119.99 w/free s/h. If you apply for their credit card, you'll get $30 towards your first purchase. (Just remember to pay and cancel it!)

Comment

The 5615 arrived today from Amazon! It wasn't due until 6/16.. Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, but it's looks brand new....so far so good.

Comment

Working...
                    X