X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gripes about new Orange Color in Ridgid Tools

I have seen a lot of posts here in recent weeks about folks hating the new "Home Depot Orange" color that Ridgid has switched to in the new product line.
    I was discussing this with another guy at HD today when I waiting for them to get down my new JP0610 and he was a professional contractor for a living. he was kind of "displeased" with the HD Orange. I mentioned that my theory behind the new orange is probably driven by a few factors.

1. HD has the buying power to get vendors to change colors just for them.
    2. In marketing a product, you want bold and catchy colors to get the customer's eye.
    3. I think the orange kind of makes you be aware of safety when your working with the power tools. orange is usually a "signal color" for danger signs and warnings-could it be that subliminally the orange is supposed to make the user focus on what's he doing at all times.

When I shared this with the other guy at HD, he kind of lit up with this little smile and said...Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe if I switch to all orange tools, my workers would get injured a lot less on the job. Just my wierd view on the new color. I am kind of partial to it myself..but maybe I am alone in this and just wierd. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I sort of chuckle at the many postings complaining about the orange color. While almost everyone will admit that it is the "quality" of the tool and not the "color", there just seems to be something in many of us that wants it different than what it is. I'm partial to blue, but that leaves me with either Ryobi (which I can afford) and Bosch which I think is beyond my wallet. Bottom line is I buy the best that works for me and that is affordable at the time I need it. Orange works pretty good during those promotional sales! There is a saying, "An archer is known by his aim, not by the color of his arrow."

CWS

Comment

They should have kept the original colors of orange and red just like we see on the site. The orange is not offensive if you need to quickly find your tools.

Comment

I'm kind of partial to red, and there's not much in high quality stationary tools that are painted red. Lots of green and gray to go around though!

Comment

I haven't been to a HD in about a week so please excuse me if I'm a little out of the loop. Has RIDGID recently changed the shade of orange they use to color their tools? If they haven't then the orange tools have been around for over a year now, hardly a new color. If we were talking about car colors, we'd be talking about last years models for cripes sake. I have yet to ever purchase a tool based on its color, nor have I ever not purchased a tool based on its color. I wonder what color the RIDGID orange is to someone who is color blind to the color orange?

[ 11-02-2004, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Lets beat the horse more..

Badger Dave,
            Ridgid had ruddy redish (orange and red) color, without home depot. I have a few power and hand tools with this color and its displayed on the site.

Since the HD collaboration they are all HD orange...no big deal..I think its more safety concious..

[ 11-03-2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Comment

paul,

Beating horses is not a nice thing to do.

I also have some Ridgid hand tools, pipe wrenches, screwdrivers, etc, that are that color and I agree that that particular shade is pleasant to the eye. I'm not convinced that the orange they now use is related to any safety issues but I do find it a tad coincedental that it closely resembles the exterior paint job of the buildings that house their sole retailer. Not that it matters one iota in the grand scheme of things.

Dave

Comment

It all about brand recognition.

Colors and Brand Recognition

Comment

I wouldn't care if my TS3610 was pink with purple polka dots. Awesome at an Awesome price. Few minor modifications, GOOD zero clearance insert (not that piece of crap plastic ridgid sells), and CMT blades.....i have no complaints. i had a few issues with my jp6010 as far as the set up an forwarded them to ridgid hoping they would change the proceedure, not sure if the new ones incorporated it or not, and the band saw i got for 159 bucks (old bs1400 floor model) serves me well! screw the color , color makes no diffeence. yes i believe the older style were nicer to look at, but as long as the quality of the product is there...who cares?
                  \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
                    ...who cares?
                    Thats the best repy yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Dave:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
                      ...who cares?
                      Thats the best repy yet! </font>[/QUOTE]Ditto!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Dave: </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by spacebluesonoma: ...who cares?
                        Thats the best repy yet! </font>[/QUOTE]Not only that, but it's the best reply too! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                        Lorax
                        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

ridgid's color is neither red nor orange. the closest, i believe is classic 1955 chevy red.

Comment

Working...
                          X