X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thickness planer blades....

I had some nice silver maple milled and kiln dried from a tree we had cut down early in the spring. i do not have a thickness planer and want to get this lumber milled to usable pieces. my wifes mom's neighbor is into woodworking and has a nice shop. i dont se him regularlarly so i asked my mother in law to find out if he had one and if he would be willing to let me have/rent some time on it. his response was yes he had one, but he would not allow me to run "green" lumber through it, and that my wood would have to dry for at least a year before he would allow me to run it. Is he under the impression that my wood was not kiln dried, or am i missing another concern of his and is there more to it than that?

my other question, what does a set of planer blades cost on the avearage? (i do not know the make/model of his tool so i can not provide specifics, so just looking for a price range). as i understand planer's blades can not be sharpened....so i was going to offer to buy him a new set of blades for the use of the machine.

so the two questions are 1) if he is calling my wood "green" is he assuming it has not been kiln dried. and 2) what is the average price for a set of planer blades?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Maybe the part about being kiln dried didn't get passed on to the guy. If you know someone with a moisture meter, maybe you could get a reading on it---that should settle the question.

Cost of knives depends on the size of his planer---for the usual 12-13" planer they run about $35-50/set----but, green or wet wood can make a mess and require cleaning the planer after, if it's wet and sappy---but, that doesn't sound like an issue. Does he have a jointer too---since you need to flatten one face first.
    Dave

Comment

I have the jointer and table saw. i just need use of a planer to complete the job!
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
      X