X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROS swirl marks

I have the Ridgid 5" ROS. On my last project -- a bookcase for my son -- I noticed some swirl marks (like little fingernail marks) on the wood.

Any idea of the cause and how to avoid? I'm wondering if I might have pressed too hard with the 60 grit ... or maybe a portion of the loop pad was showing through?

dp

You probably push too hard. The weight of the sander should be enough.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

You may have used the edge of the sander instead of keeping it flat. A little light sanding should take the swirl marks right out.

Comment

You may have had some of the 60 grit detach from the paper and remain on the wood, and then when you proceeded with finer grits the loose 60 particles produced swirl marks. A quick vacuuming between grits or a blast of compressed air eliminates this possibility.

Woodslayer

Comment

Woodslayer, that was my first thought and solution as well.
          DP, since you are starting at 60 you need to progress up in grits to about 220 if you are using a film-forming finish like poly.
          You should not skip any more than 1 grit size on the way up. At a minimum I would use the following sizes, 60, 100, 150, 220. If you skip any more than that you will have a difficult time removing the swirls from the previous grit. Also take your time while sanding and cover the surface evenly with light pressure and you will achieve better results. Another trick is to dampen a cloth with Naptha (careful its flamable) and wipe down the surface. This will show you any sanding swirls as well as any glue squeeze out that you may have missed. The Naptha will evaporate in a few seconds and will not effect your wood or the finish you apply

Comment

another thing that will cause swirls besides pushing hard is going too fast. Slow down and give the ROS time to overlap the swirl marks.

Also a good tip is not to set the ROS down on the sanding pad. It will pick up grains and junk from the courser sanding. I always lay mine down on its side.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
            X