X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st purchase

I am considering buying the 12 volt cordless drill and angled driver (?) - it is at Home Depot at $129.00 for both. Any opinions on these tools? - how do these compare to Milwuakee?

If it is the Ridgid combo you are contemplating.....I say buy it!

The only thing is I would buy the 18v drill instead of the 12v. Much more power and longer run time on a single battery charge. I wouldn't trade my Ridgid power hand tools for anything!!

That's just my $.02 worth.
    Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
    Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

I would mainly be using these tools for home (DIY)use - would the 12v be good enough?

Comment

IMO, the 12V will be just fine for around the house/shop use. I've had a 9.6V DeWalt drill/driver for so long I can't remember when I bought it. Its been my only cordless drill/driver and its never not been able to do the job for any of my projects. Those 18V and larger tools are fine for the everyday user but usually are overkill for the average person.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I HAVE THE FIRESTORM 12V AND IT CAME WITH 2 BATTERIES. I FIND IT WORKS FIND FOR GENERAL USE AROUND THE HOUSE AND SHOP BUT ITS A BONUS HAVING THE SECOND BATTERY BECAUSE IT GOES OUT MORE THAN I WOULD LIKE.BUT WITH THE SECOND BATTERY READY AND HOT....BACK IN BUSINESS! THE 12V SHOULD WORK FINE UNLESS YOU PLAN TO USE IT MORE THAN AVERAGE WHATEVER AVERAGE IS....MY 2 CENTS....

Comment

I love my 18v drill, don't get me wrong...but the other day I changed around 50 door hinges (six screws per hinge) in a house and my arm hurt after awhile from picking up that heavy drill. It was very easy screwing, and a 12v would've been fine...plus a lot lighter!

Something to think about!

Comment

The 12 volt Ridgid combo is a nice package.
              The right angle is a impact driver. I have used
              both tools frequently and feel I got a very good deal.

Comment

I have been a critic of the cordless line b/c of the number of complaints and the price. I saw this kit,12v drill & angle driver and thought for $130 I would try it. I called Ridgid CS and they say that the kit does not even exist????
                R900
                Drill chuck wobble is the worst I have seen, I even have several RYOBI'S, that are way better. A good design on the drill, very poor build on the chuck/spindle.
                Then,I drive 1 screw and the driver quits working in varable speed, only on/off.
                I have 2 MAKITA 12v impact drivers and they never give me a problem,but the are not an angle design. That is why I bought this.
                For those buying this kit,I would check them before going home, now I have to return them.
                This is HF quality! Come on Ridgid, where is the QC?

UPDATE: Was able to get an acceptable kit,has to look at several. The tool features are very good except the compact batt. seem to have very short life. This may improve with use but i have never had batts. act like this?
                HD said they will change them if I need to.

I think Ridgid has some very good design features,ie.; rubber protection on batt.& drill contact with surfaces,single sleeve chuck,ergonomics.
                I also bought a wd1650, &wd 4050 vac that are also a good improvement over my older Ridgid vacs.

[ 08-17-2005, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Andrew M. ]

Comment

Working...
                X