Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on JP0610 Jointer/Planer

Hello Fellow Ridgid Tool Dudes,

I have acquired yet another Ridgid Tool for my workshop. I went today and bought the JP0610 Jointer/Planer. I have already opened it up and assembled it. Packaging was great just like the TS3650 I just bought. No missing parts-Set up was a breeze. It took me probably 2 hours since I take my time and check everything twice. It needed very little adjustment to dial it in properly. I have run some test pieces through it and this thing is the bomb. Very powerful but quiet motor. It almost seems more powerful than the motor on the TS3650.
    If anyone is looking at getting a J/P, add Ridgid to your list to check out. You won't regret it.

[ 11-01-2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: swhalen ]

I am really interested in the jointer put out by Ridgid (370ish i belive) but have also been looking at the Jet (570ish). Im glad that someone who owns the jointer comments on it because i have been asking around and noone has seemed to use the ridgid. The local Jet vendor WoodCraft seems to have alot of old farts who frown on ridgid saying there midle of the course, but everytime i ask the if they have used them i commonly get random mumbles... I belive Ridgid may get a sale out of me. One question though is setting the knifes square hard? and is the semi open stand sturdy? one more does the dust chute work well?

Comment

I have the grey model jointer and I must say I think it is my favorite tool. As to you questions yes the dust chute works great, I haven't changed the blades yet (planed about 150bf of pine) and the stand is very sturdy.

I highly recommend this tool. Go to HD and ask them to turn on the machine and if in 3 seconds you have not made the decision to buy it then go back with some wood and test it out. Believe me it will impress you.
      Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Originally posted by OrangemanDane:
        I am really interested in the jointer put out by Ridgid (370ish i belive) but have also been looking at the Jet (570ish). Im glad that someone who owns the jointer comments on it because i have been asking around and noone has seemed to use the ridgid. The local Jet vendor WoodCraft seems to have alot of old farts who frown on ridgid saying there midle of the course, but everytime i ask the if they have used them i commonly get random mumbles... I belive Ridgid may get a sale out of me. One question though is setting the knifes square hard? and is the semi open stand sturdy? one more does the dust chute work well?
        I think a lot of folks that put Ridgid down, have never owned or tried them out. It's probably just a lot of crap.
        Squaring up the knives is very simple. Mine were almost perfect right out of the box. The stand is solid as a rock with no wobble. The dust chute is a great plus since it has a 4" port to fit most DC systems. The port can easily be moved or removed using to wing nuts..plus the port has storage slots for provided allen wrench and open end wrench. I have ran a few pieces of rough cut lumber through the JP today and it does a mighty fine job...I am most impressed with how quiet it is compared to some other JP on the market. I recommend you give it a look.

Comment

I got both the JP0610 and TP1300 gray models on the clearance about a year ago. I followed that up with the new TS3650 a few months following.

I just replaced the jointer knives with some Freud replacements and the adjustment went OK. I think the trick is to turn the jackscrews down a turn or two, tighten the two outer blade locking screws just slightly, and then slowly "jack" the blades up until they just touch your straight edge. A precise operation, but not really much harder than other machine adjustments.

The stand itself is quite sturdy and would definitely suffice as is, although it could be a little deeper (front to back) for stability when moving it. When I put mine on a mobile base, I made a hardwood platform that made the base about 20" deep. You don't really lose any space by doing this since the fence sticks out the back anyway.

The dust chute usually works pretty well; however, I have had it clog up when taking alot of good wide slices out of PINE. I don't have a dust collector, but that would probably alleviate that whole problem.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X