X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a decision to make

I had no idea there was even a site like this, but I could use some of ya'lls opinions. Long story short, I have a Dewalt 18v cordless/hammer and a 18V sawzall. I am down to 1 dying battery and my battery charger just died. I now have to replace 2 new batterys ($75 each) and 1 new charger ($50 to $100) So, Im going to spend at LEAST $200 just to keep my used tools running. I have looked at these Rigid power tools for quite some time now but have never met someone who used them. By the pricing, they should be comparable quality to Dewalt I'd assume.

Would spending the extra $100 or so to get an 18V combo package be worth my while in Ya'lls opinion? Is Rigid comparable? Better perhaps? Or should I stick with what I've got?

Thanks very much

[ 02-10-2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: NCST8GUY ]

I have the 4 piece Ridgid combo kit and love it, but to toss a perfectly good drill and saber saw seems drastic. Perhaps buying a new dewalt tool like the 18V impact gun DW056K-2 it comes with 2 batteries and a charger

Comment

I feel I got a great deal on my 4PC ridgid kit even got the rebait jig saw and extra battery I dont know what they sell for today but I can say this,I am vary happy so far I like the power they give more so than dewalt, eveyones drills are good but the true test came to me when I had to work my saws and I was impresed! also the 30 min,dual charger that fan cools the batterys was a plus.When it dont pay to plug in cause i'm moving arond alot ridgid has been the tool best for me.But you have to compair upgrade cost to the kind of work you do!

Be safe out there folks.

Bob B.

[ 02-13-2005, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: bob bridgewater ]
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Be safe out there folks
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Well, I would simply do some searchs on this web site. I'm not looking for a fight, but by my estimation, complaints about the cordless tools far exceed complaints against any other Ridgid tool by far. Let's just put it this way, having read many of these posts and several magazine reviews, Ridgid would be my last choice for a cordless tool pack.

Also, as to cost, while batteries are the driving factor, if your DW tools were still performing well and haven't been too beat up, half the cost is still half the cost.
        Dave

Comment

If you can hold off for another 45 days Milwaukee will be releasing a 28 volt Lithium Ion combo kit that is suppossed to put all other cordless to shame. Having just bought two combo packs from them last December I can vouch for their 18v quality. Rigid makes the best pipe equipment in the world but there are scores of horror stories here regarding their Chinese made cordless stuff.

Wbrooks has a good idea about adding another tool in the same brand so you can have a charger and batteries.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Hay guys don't wana fight eather although daveferg I cant help but wonder how much truth there is behind the folks that fuss about ridgid. we don't realy know who these folks are! I realy am happy with my set.

Bob B
            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
            Be safe out there folks
            Bob B
            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

As a DIY Weekend Warrior I am certainly no expert. I got my 4 pc combo for Christmas and I've actually used it extensively while I've been getting a house ready to sell. The drill has performed fantastic from mixing paint to the usual tasks. The reciprocating saw has been fantastic. The trim saw has done everything and I like the 6 1/2" size over some of the smaller competitor models. I just got the jig saw in and it is just as good as the rest. The flashlight, well its a flashlight. The double charger is a great feature too. Good Luck!

Comment

Bob B----come on-------------I think that's stretching things a bit. So every complaint about the Ridgid cordless tools is a lie? By your logic, the same could be said about people who praise the tools. Besides, if there was some dark conspiricy (with black hellicopters, etc.) against Ridgid, then why the heck are the complaints limited to just certain tools? Why don't we hear complaints about performance of the corded tools---about the jointer or planer?
                Dave

Comment

I finally got my answer to my question why buy Ridgid that has no track record and is priced the same?

I was in HD the other day and a guy in the trades was there with combo pack of Ridgid tools at the return desk. Since he was in front of me I had to wait for him to finish.

I started talking to him about his tools. He had the tools for about 1 1/2 years. His batteries went bad about 2 weeks before so he bought new ones and they died. He was returning the whole mess since he didn't know what was causing the problem. I don't know how HD handled his battery problem to start with.

While we were waiting for a manager, I asked that since he was in the trades and needed his tools to earn a living why did he buy Ridgid tools. Ridgid without any history was shot in the dark to me.
                  He explained he hated Dewalt. Bad tools, bad service, apparently they lost one of his tools in for service and yanked him around over it.

His disliked Porter Cable and Milwakee, Thought PC batteries failed way to soon. Thought Milwaukee was over priced and didn't have a good service center.

So for him the only thing left was Ridgid. About this time the HD manager got there and I was interested to see what was going to happen. His tools were well "used" but not abused that I could see.
                  To my surprise the manager went and got a new combo box took out and traded him everything and put his old tools into the box. I guess to send back.

I was impressed. The guy left smiling and said He guessed he made the right choice on Ridgid and that he would be happy if he get another 1 1/2 on these tools.

He finally answered my question it basically came down to service.

I finding the secret to success in tools, is service. I saw this guy get great service from HD but I wonder how Ridgid would handle it or even how they will handle HD's return.
                  Rev Ed

Comment

Rev Ed,

Service should definantly be a consideration when buying tools. Did the fellow at the counter say why he thought Milwaukee had a bad service dept. I send a Milwaukee tool in and it comes back fixed within a week or so. There are never second trips.

Milwaukee tools usually cost a little more for two reasons. One: most of them are made right here in America where they do not pay slave wages. Made in USA is paramount to my purchase because I love America. The other is that they last almost forever. My first right angle drill was built in the early 70's and I still use it. My back up corded sawzall is even older, though I use a much more modern one on my truck. I have two 18v 4 tool cordless combo kits that are fantastic and eagerly await the 28v. No one else even comes close to the hole hawgs and other meat and potatoe portable electric tools Milwaukee produces except maybe a few of Bosch's hammer and demolition tools. Dewalts reciprocating saws are terrible in my opinion

There is a large steel processing facility that has been undergoing a major upgrade and it has been my responsibility to take care of all of the piping from the plumbing to the high pressure gas lines and acid pipe. Milwaukee portable power tools have not let me down once, neither have the RIGID power vises and other RIGID pipe equipment

As far as cordless goes you can't beat Milwaukees hatchet sawzall, and Red's metal cutting circular saw cuts copper, 1 5/8" unistrut and steel all thread like paper and requires no filing or other after cut finishing..

Before this gets any longer this post is about a pile of RIGID cordless drills in the maintenance office sitting in a corner. I asked the plants maintenance superintendent about them and he said they are not worth sending back because they don't do what he needs them to do. His workers did not even want to take them home. He went all yellow.

Comment

You cant work a cordles like you can a plug in There not made for that, no cordles is made or can handle non stop work all day cutting, keep working any of them hard and you' have proublems Yes you will take your batterys out fast and then be upset why they did not last!

Be safe out there folks.
                      Bob B

[ 02-14-2005, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: bob bridgewater ]
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                      Be safe out there folks
                      Bob B
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Originally posted by plumber:
                        Rev Ed,

Before this gets any longer this post is about a pile of RIGID cordless drills in the maintenance office sitting in a corner. I asked the plants maintenance superintendent about them and he said they are not worth sending back because they don't do what he needs them to do. His workers did not even want to take them home. He went all yellow.
                        Now see to me there is something wrong in this story.

First if they have a mess of ridgid tools and they aren't performing they would have enough clout with HD to take them all back.

Secondly I have never seen plant maintenance guys turn down anything they could get their hands on. If nothing else most of the guys I know would have taken them apart to show everybody else what was wrong with them.

Thirdly most large purchasers (plants) that I know of don't mess with HD. They purchase from dedicated tool stores and tools stores don't sell Ridgid cordless drills. In fact most major brands send people to them if they are going to buy more than a few.

So I don't understand that whole scenario you described.

To your question what was wrong with the Milwaukee? I don't know exactly what his kick with Milwaukee was but I understood it be a local repair shop issue. All a local repair shop has to do is screw one guy and the word will get out. In any case most Milwaukee things are now being outsourced offshore and since ITT has bought them I imagine it will all be made overseas.

I posted what I did for two reasons. I finally understood why someone would buy Ridgid over one of the other brands that have a known track record. And secondly to say I personally witnessed with I considered to be excellent service.
                        Rev Ed

Comment

RevED,

I am sorry you think I am a liar. But his purchasing arrangements were not something we talked about. I can only relate the information as it was stated by him. I saw a pile of the drills and asked him about it, thats all. There were probably 6 or 7 of them lying there. maybe he felt they were too beat up to take back or maybe they told him they were too abused. Maybe he hasnt even tried to take them back, I did not ask. He told me "they were'nt worth taking back" and that he has switched to DeWalt. The conversation went back to our tasks at hand.

Milwaukee has four production plants in the United States and most of their corded and cordless tools are still made here. Yes they outsource some of their parts but the majority of them are made in USA. All of their cordless saws are made here. My new corded sawzall is made here. Look at where their new heavy Demolition hammers are made. ( How many of Rigids cordless or corded portable electric tools are made here?)

Their factory reps have assured their customers including myself that they intend to produce most of their new 28v line right here in the USA also. Their web site even had a survey about how best to word the made in USA tag to be put on the tools.(yes there will be some foriegn parts but the majority of them will still be made by your neighbors right here.) The new 28v battery and charger is to be built by a Canadian company right in Canada.

I simply asked you if the fellow said what was wrong with Milwaukees service because I have personally experienced 3 decades worth of good service from them. If you read what other posters are saying about HDs service you will see a different reality than the one time you saw a guy get lucky. My dealings with HD have not exactly been rosey either but they have not been quite as bad as others here have faced.

NCST8GUY asked in his post about RIGID cordless tools and everyone is giving their opinions about them and why. I also gave him my take on RIGID cordless and why. I even praised RIGIDS pipe machining equipment. You witnessed one person taking back an entire kit and yet you attack my integrity when I witnessed several tools lying in a corner. If you want to trash an American made tool fine, but please do it based on first hand knowledge, not on a complete strangers word at a do it yourself hardware store with a hand full of communist tools. And if you want to call me a liar then lets talk in person.

One last thing. There is a reason dedicated tool stores dont carry RIGID cordless tools. Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber:
                            RevED,

I am sorry you think I am a liar.
                            I did not say you were a liar and I'm sorry if you think I implied as much.
                            I said there is something wrong with this story. It just doesn't add up. The problem was what manager was telling you not what you told us.

The same company that makes Ridgid power tools just bought Milwaukee. So I imagine the same thing is going to happen to them that has happened to Ridgid, they are all going to be made overseas.

I talked to a Milwaukee spokes person and they told me that most Milwaukee tools were NOW being outsourced to overseas plants. That person could have been lying I don't know. I know the lifetime guarantee is gone and in many cases the made in USA sticker is gone.

I didn't trash American tools I prefer them.

Milwaukee has been good to me but I know the repair center is quaking in their boots worried about Milwaukee being bought by this overseas conglomerate and how it will effect them. The have dealt with this company before on other tool repairs and finally refused to continue to do business with them. Now Milwaukee is owned by the company. You tell me what is going to happen.

I have never bought Ridgid for one reason it was priced that same as the competitors and they have no track record. I can't afford to buy something I depend on to find out it is junk.

Again I did not call you a liar nor did I mean to infer you were lying. Nowhere in my post did I trash American made. So please don't put words in my mouth.

[ 02-15-2005, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: RevEd ]
                            Rev Ed

Comment

You want to fight,join the army -we want you-
                              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                              Be safe out there folks
                              Bob B
                              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Working...
                              X