X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 V (non-X2) Drill has "secret Hammer mode"

During the great 20%+10% sale. I bought the 18V drill (already on sale, was $199.00) for $174.00.
    Anyway the Ridgid rep was there and told me the 18V non-X2 has a "secret Hammer mode." I took it home and tried it out...he was right! So I ended up with an 18V cordless hammer drill with 460in*lb of torque and a lifetime warranty for $122.00. Not bad.

Care to explain?

Comment

Hmmm, I'd like to know too, I have a non x2 18v right in front of me and can't figure out what your talking about?

Do let us know [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

must be like the nintendo video games. You have to get the codes.. lol

In all seriousness. this sounds whacko and if it's legitimate. For a tool to have features that everybody pays the same amount of money for and only some have access to seems a little obsurd and offensive to me.

Jake

Comment

I heard of this before. You charge up the batteries, install your drill bit, and then after you predrill your holes you unscrew your side handle and whack the nails into the hole you just predrilled. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I bought an X2 drill (only 12v and no hammer features) because the twin battery charger and extra battery for only a couple dollars more. Not sure if I would have saved a few $$ if I was buying the 18v to go with the non X2, even if it did hammer, mostly because the extra battery and charger port makes a big difference. I really can't believe that nobody had thought of a multi charger until now. heck, even the new three port Milwaukee just came out.

Comment

I bought a drill that has a "secret banjo mode"!

[ 12-31-2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Desmo888 ]

Comment

Caspain.

My original thoughts too. All my drills have a secret hammer mode. I'm just trying to keep it as my secret.

Jake

Comment

I don't think nlp knows what he's talking about.
                  He said the drill was $199 got it for $174 then said he took it home for $122?

[ 12-31-2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: DonHof ]

Comment

Originally posted by DonHof:
                    I don't think nlp knows what he's talking about.
                    He said the drill was $199 got it for $174 then said he took it home for $122?
                    i'm guessing it was $174 (on secret sale) then 30% off that which would be $122. That only works if the cashier took 30% off the price rather than taking 20% off then 10%.

the guy is a wack looking for attention he is lacking somewhere in his life. he's got a low end job and no satisfaction coming from his personal or professional life. his only way of getting attention is to claim he knows a secret that no one else does then keep it to himself. i'm sure there is a professional diagnosis for his delusions, but i don't know it.

caspian

Comment

I wonder if his MS1250 CPMS has a secret sliding mode too.

Comment

Man some you guys need to put down the beer and step away from your computer.
                        I didn't mean to leave out how the RIDGID REP. said it worked. My wife was rushing me off the computer.
                        Anyway, he said to turn the clutch all the way to the drill (24th) position, insert a drill bit, apply pressure and the drill would "hammer."

I tried it the 1st time I used the drill, it did vibrate although not nearly as much as my corded hammer drill. After reading your "friendly" emails I went and tried it again but in different clutch positions, it seems to vibrate when you apply pressure to the drill regardless of clutch position.
                        I doubt the hammer mode thing, I think the drill just vibrates when pressure is applied.

Nevertheless, when I started this thread I was simply passing on what a Ryobi/Ridgid Rep. told me at Home Depot.

As for the price, the original price for the 18V (non X-2) drill was $199. Home Depot put it on sale for $174. I bought during the 20% off sale, then applied for a HD credit card and got an additional 10% off. I also bought the orbit sander, 6.5 hp shop vac, and 12" miter saw.
                        I ended up paying about $125 for the drill.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=SuperFeatures2 %2fHome_Page%2fPM_Holiday_Pop_Up&cm_ven=1hd.com2em ail&cm_cat=Dec14&cm_pla=&cm_ ite=offers

Caspian, I'm not quite sure what your problem is, but I'm a 33 year old Professional (Civil) Engineer and why wife is a 31 year old Professional (Chemical) Engineer.
                        We're pretty comfortable financially.
                        I have a beautiful 4 yr old daughter and a 1.5 year old son. Any of you who have kids this age know, I'm HARDLY bored or craving attention.
                        I don't "play" on the internet for entertainment.
                        My hobbies are college football and basketball and (saltwater) fishing on my 20'KeyWest.
                        I'm also a Christian and thank God for all I have.
                        Thanks for asking.
                        -God Bless

Comment

Nlp

I apologize, but being the educated man that you are you must admit that your “secret hammer mode” was all too inviting to poke fun at. It sounds as though you have been blessed with a wonderful family and life.

Good luck

Woodslayer

[ 01-02-2004, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: woodslayer ]

Comment

I can only say our china friends put the wrong clutch in a batch of these drills and they cought it and corrected it.

Comment

nlp, well said.

Comment

Working...
                              X