X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD lowering prices

Anyone else realize that HD has lowered prices on Ridgid stuff significantly? I've also noticed that DeWalt may be losing market share because they are lowering prices on their products. I wonder if anyone else like Bosch will follow suit?

I spent about 20 minutes posting a reply to this topic this morning, and now it is gone. Does anyone know why?

Comment

Woodchucker - welcome back.

First, your 'novel' disappeared because of server settings that we are fixing. RIDGID has a new web server and we are converting everything over. for the record, I got your post in my e mail, so I will attach it after my response.

Trust and respect are things that you only get over time. We have been in the business and understand what makes a good tool. Standing behind that tool is a key ingredient. Believe me, the parts for the woodworking tools are available through service centers and www.ridgidparts.com and will continue to be.

The price did not go down to make RIDGID more attractive than DeWalt. It has nothing to do with the acquisition of Pentair Tools to B&D. Tools are seasonal - right now is the promotional season where tool companies try to drive sale and interest you in our products - the fall is when we launch new items as an industry. RIDGID's prices are not the only ones falling.

Brandman...

Posted By: woodchucker

Message: I haven't been on the forum for quite a while, mainly because the negativity was bringing me down. Some would argue the negativity was constructive discussion, but that argument will never be settled, it's just different people's opinions. I mention that so if what I'm writing has been said before in other topics, I apologize, please direct me towards those other topics.

Having said that, I believe in the Ridgid power tool product line, have a shop full of the woodworking tools, and have recommended the tools to many of my friends. They have worked very well for me, and my friends have been happy as well. Here's my concern. I've made a significant investment in Ridgid equipment. Let's take the lifetime warranty out of the picture, because I know that's been discussed to death. I bought Ridgid because I wanted the tools to be "lifetime" tools for me. I take very good care of my tools and would expect with proper maintenance and a few replacement parts, even if I have to pay for them and install them myself, that they would be able to fulfill this expectation. My concern is when I see the prices go down at Home Depot, and all sorts of promotional programs, I question the longevity of the product line, and therefore the longevity of availability of parts and service. My SCMS and TS2400 are the gray Emerson models, and I already wonder if I'll be able to get parts should I need them. I've seen multiple products at HD that didn't move enough to warrant shelf space, so they stopped carrying it. The RoboHammer is one example that immediately comes to mind. Once again, the lifetime warranty is nice, but I understand I may need to fix something if it breaks, I drop it, etc. I just want to know that I can get what I need to do this. Right now my confidence level in this ability is not very high.

You're never supposed to go to your boss with just a problem, but a problem and a solution to that problem, and they can implement the solution. Unfortunately, I don't have a good solution to this perception of mine. Assurances that Ridgid is committed to the woodworking line only go so far. Earning trust takes time, and I may want to make a major tool purchase (such as the bandsaw) in the meantime. At least I can communicate it to this forum, and hopefully someone at Ridgid can understand the feelings on the street.

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel.

Comment

Brandman, thank you for taking the time to respond and recover my post. I'm looking forward to Ridgid exceeding my expectations in the future as you have done in the past.

Comment

Woodchucker:

glad you are back and hope you stay. One thing I may add is that just because a tool is not longer carried in HD does not mean it is not still made. Now that only goes for National Brands with Ryobi and Ridgid being only in HD that may be different but with everyone else it doesn't matter.

Comment

I own quite a few old Craftsman power tools. All the hand power tools were made by Ryobi and my Radial Arm Saw by Emerson. This past winter I did a complete tear down and cleaning on everything and found I needed a few parts. I say to everyone, that anything that I needed was still available.

My Emerson made Craftsman RAS is terrific and frankly exceeds anything I see on the market today, despite it's almost 30 year age. While no parts were needed at this time, I thought I would check out the cost and availability of some parts that looked like they would be worth purchasing as backups, just in case. Most of the parts are still available and reasonably priced! A few things (like the motor) are no longer available, but can be repaired if ever need be. My first thought was that this was Sears, but the fact is, Craftsman service is Ryobi.

The point is, I'm very happy with Emerson and the Ridgid name and the warranty promise does give me confidence. At present I own the Ridgid DP1550 Drill Press (the gray one), their 5-inch ROS, and the 1/4 sheet Finishing Sander and I am very pleased with all. I also own several new Ryobi benchtop and hand power tools and the same pleasure and confidence is there too. Despite some problems reported here on the boards, I've found service reps to be pleasant and always helpful. I expect to find parts when and if I ever need them and, based on my experience with my old tools, I'm confident that will be the case.

Seasonal pricing and promotions are part of American business. It is a good time to take advantage and buy your favorite brand from your wish list. Ridgid has become one of my favorite brands. While I wish that HD would do a little better, I can sadly say that finding good service while in any store is pretty rare these days. By comparison, HD by no means stands alone.

CWS

Comment

If I may add a few observations:

I think there was a period of "turbulence" as Ryobi/OWT/TTI took over the support/warranty/parts functions for Ridgid's power tools. The only contact I had with them was to request a bolt that had been left out of the package in my RS1000 radial arm saw. At first I got a run-around that was world class. Told me I'd have to buy(!!!) it, and provided wrong info about how to go about doing so. Twice. But, after waiting a few months to cool down, I tried again. A much nicer woman seemed genuinly concerned that the part (not critical) had been omitted, typed my request in, and told me that it would ship out and should arrive in "7 to 10 working days." It came to me via UPS 4 days later.

Maybe things will continue to improve and the past 9 months to year will become a speed bump that was caused by two big corporations' ways of doing things clashing temporarily as they learned to work together.

Maybe, just maybe, there is even hope that it will get better than it ever was before: From the little I know about who-makes-what in the power tool world, I don't think TTI/OWT has a so-called "Premium" or "Super Premium" power tool line. Maybe that is exactly why they invested in the license with Emerson/Ridgid. Maybe Ridgid is going to be their Premium line. If so, they will quickly learn that the only way to really gain market share is to build better tools than Porter-Cable and DeWalt, and support them better than anybody. I sure hope so.

I think they'd also better think long and hard about moving production of the tools out of China too. I've never seen anything made in China that is of even medium quality.

Way off topic: Originally posted by Woodchucker
              You're never supposed to go to your boss with just a problem, but a problem and a solution to that problem, and they can implement the solution.
              Boy have they got you trained! Not only do they make a profit off of your "productivity" and hard work, but now they have you doing their problem solving for them. All they do is sit back and get paid.

IMHO if someone is getting paid more than you and has a higher rank (i.e. like your "boss"), then they should be earning it by solving problems, etc.

Comment

Wow, talk about a long and winding road. This topic seems to be twisting and turning all over the place.

Just wanted to comment on CWSmith and say yes, it's a great idea to order some back-up parts. With a 30 year old machine, you can just never tell when they might stop carrying parts.

As to promotional prices----I think the reason it's so easily questioned with "darker" meanings is that up until a year or so ago, HD had very little in the way of "sales". When they'd send out one of their flyers, most of the time, it was just the same old tools at the same old prices. It's certainly to our advantage when they actually have price reductions or sales.
                Dave

Comment

I have a theory about the recent deals/promotions.
                  They are also offering 10% additional off any RIDGID tool purchase when a new COMMERCIAL charge account is opened. Not 10% off any purchase, only Rigid, and only with the commercial account.
                  Could be a way to get these tools in the hands of more professionals out in the field. That is the best advertising a tool mfg. could get.
                  Especially now, with the Ridgid/Ryobi quality/reliability concerns.
                  I'm a proffessional, I was/am concerned, and I took advantage of the recent promos and will be seen in the real world with my purchases.
                  I hope I will only have good things to say about them!
                  Peace, Dimitri.

[ 08-01-2004, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Dimitrin ]

Comment

Boy have they got you trained! Not only do they make a profit off of your "productivity" and hard work, but now they have you doing their problem solving for them. All they do is sit back and get paid.

IMHO if someone is getting paid more than you and has a higher rank (i.e. like your "boss"), then they should be earning it by solving problems, etc.
                    If it is a problem that is affecting me, who is going to be more motivated to solve it, me or my boss? I'd rather have them take my solution that I've been able to make sure works for me and approve it, than have someone else come up with a solution that may be worse for me than the original problem.

Interesting question, how do you think these people got more money and rank? I would doubt it was by having other people solve their problems.

Comment

Originally posted by woodchucker:
                      If it is a problem that is affecting me, who is going to be more motivated to solve it, me or my boss? I'd rather have them take my solution that I've been able to make sure works for me and approve it, than have someone else come up with a solution that may be worse for me than the original problem.

Interesting question, how do you think these people got more money and rank? I would doubt it was by having other people solve their problems. [/QB][/QUOTE]
                      -------------------------------------------------

Couldn't agree more. Whats that old saying, something like, if you're not part of the solution then you must be part of the problem.

[ 08-06-2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Woodchucker, great attitude!
                        For the disbelievers...
                        Do you really think your boss knows all the details of your job and the jobs of all the personell under him? NOT. Sure they have a general idea but nothing specific, its not their job. They manage they do not 'do'. If you have a problem with your job who would be the better person to suggest a solution besides you?? If all you ever do is point out problems, you may think you are doing a good thing but actually you are developing a reputation as a complainer. If on the other hand you point out a problem and present a solution you will be seen as proactive. Try presenting a few solutions to the problems and see what happens to your career.

Comment

Working...
                        X