DW735

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DW735

Well, I finally got one, a DW735 13" Planner that is. This is the first planner I have owned but have used other, larger planners. No experience with the portable planners, if ou could call this portable at 92 Lbs. Anyway, will be getting it setup soon and have some accessories on the way too (Chip collector attachment, moobile stand, and fold-out tables).

In the past I have made use of a friends' 24" planner once or twice, a powermatic if I remember correctly, and that thing is fantastic, but it is not convenient coordinating my work to his schedule, so I got my own. I wouldn't have room in my small shop for such a beast, so I didn't go looking for a used machine.

I hope to run my first test pieces this evening or tomorrow. First I want to go over the machine and make sure everything is tight, don't want a loose blade flying out at me :-(

Congrats on the new planer. I'm jealous.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Enjoy the new tool Bob. Gives us an update when you've made some dust.

Comment

Bob I bought a used Delta 22-560 12-1/2" planer. It is the first one I have owned. It seems to do the job, but shows a fair amount of tearout. (The guy I bought it from said this is normal). It might be time for new blades. I would be interested to hear how yours performs.

Anyway Gongrats, I heard that machine is awesome!

Benttwigg

Comment

Benttwigg, I own the 560 and I think it works great but I do keep the blades sharp. Make sure the grain is running 'downhill' as you feed it in. Think of it as peeling off layers of wood, if you put a chisel into the grain it will lift a deep cut, going the other way the cut will be more even. If you are doing swirl or burl grain you will get tearout on any planer and would make better use of a drum sander

Comment

Benttwigg - Even with sharp knives, and even with a slower speed machine, some tearout can occur with any planer on some woods, but most should do fine....figured maple is tough, lacewood is nearly impossible to plane without tearout.

Try installing new knives and moisten the surface of the tough stuff just prior to making the pass.

[ 06-24-2004, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: hewood ]

Comment

Wbrooks & Hewood thanks for the suggestions. I have been alittle slow at learning how to read some grains. I had never heard about moistening the wood??? I will give that a try.

I will say this about Delta. I had to get a new belt and belt guard. I phoned Delta's parts and got a very friendly and knowledgeable person to help me and had my parts within a few days.

Thanks again guys. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Benttwigg

Comment

Well, I got a chance to run a few pieces of wood through the planer this evening. Man, I need that chip collector, hope it arives soon.

I noticed that it takes a little deeper bite in the first and last few inches of the wood. It is smooth as glass but when you run your finger over it or hold the wood up to the light just right you can see that it is cut just a few thousands deeper. These were not long pieces I was testing with, about 20" and only 3 to 6" wide and 3/4" thick, so there was not a lot of overhang or weight to make the ends droop. I supported the ends going in and coming out by hand just enough to take the weight of the piece but didn't really notice that it was very heavy. I was taking light cuts too, don't know if that could affect it.

But the surface couldn't be any smoother, man it is like glass, when you place two planed faces together they almost want to stick together as if glued, but no glue applied.

I don't have a project that will require planing on my list right now, so will be some time before I get to really check it out on a bunch of oak. I did run a couple of pieces of oak, popular, and pine, as well as an old Doug-Fir 2x4 I've had laying around for a number of years, it did a nice job on all.

more when I get into a real project such as the mission style bedroom suit I plan to build of oak. My wife has been bugging me to get started on this, I am still working on a buddy from the job who says he has about 4,000 bf of oak laid up in his barn. I need to go over and take a look at it, but he is away in Flordia until late August. just as well as it is too hot in the shop to work other than evenings when the building cools off somewhat.

Comment

Bob D

I too have a 735 and love it. There is however one thing I think that you should know. I have a Dewalt service center a mile away and stop in to pick up blades and other accessories for my Dewalt tools. The service manager had me bring the plainer in so they could oil the gears. My plainer is only a month old.

Seems that this has been a problem at the factory and the service centers will gladly do this as free maintence. Saves them from having to repair the thing later and saves you lots of time as this seems to be about a 1 week job with getting the right parts and all. Thought you and any other 735 owners might be interested in this. Bu the way it only took the service manager 20 minutes to do mine.

[ 06-24-2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: G.W. ]
                  I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

Bob D,
                    That's just the feed rollers running on and off the end of the board. My DW733 does the same. I'm sure the first and last inches are going to be like that on any portable planer. The rollers put quite a bit of pressure on the board and this causes slight deflection of the whole frame. A machine that light just can't have enough stiffness to hold the tolerances any tighter. Still they are very handy machines to have. I paid for mine with the first job.

Comment

Working...
                    X