X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Drill Transmissions

Does anybody know if the Ridgid cordless drills use plastic or metal transmissions and gears? Both the compact and X2 line.

Thanks.

I would take the guess and say umm metal.

We would think a lifetime warranty would include metal gears. If not then they must be some space age Acrylics in them Rigids.
    \"You get what you pay for\"

Comment

METAL GEARS! No space age materials used here!

Comment

Nice to hear that. DeWalt makes a big deal out of it metal gears. Ridgid should too! Seems like a lot of companies are using plastic...

[ 11-17-2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: BH626Pro ]

Comment

all major brands have steel gears. the thing is they all have a plastic ring gear either in the trans or in the clutch that is the gear that strips out. i am pretty sure ridgid is the same way but i can not tell by the parts breakdown because ridgid is sold all in one piece(i prefer to be able to buy the trans and the clutch seperate during a repair but that is the way it goes)

Comment

All metal geers, yes, but I have seen the inside of a Ridgid and the outer geer is plastic! The outer geer is to switch from low speed to high speed. Unless you plan on staying in one speed, that sucker will wear out fast. Hope it is covered by the "Lifetime" unless that is considered wear and tear. The DEWALT's is all steel with no plastic in or on the outer rings of the transmission.

Comment

I know that many of the Makita uses plastic gears on their 62**D line. I had two different model drills wear out at the speed selector. Their earlier single speed drills, of which I own three , one 7 years old, are still going strong.

Comment

Good to hear that the gears are all metal. I've used alot of different brands of tools and these babies are the best I've seen. Even if there is a plastic piece like lehigh says, it must not be a very important piece.

Comment

the plastic piece is important but they all have it in all brands of cordless even dewalt, and that is the piece that wearsout and thats when it goes in for service. if ridgid did not have that lifetime warranty until the end of dec. you would think that plastic piece was important.

Comment

Working...
                  X