Ridgid 18V Brushless Grinder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18V Brushless Grinder

Maybe this is old news but I hadn't seen this one and just noticed it on home depot. Ridgid has updated their 18v Angle Grinder to a brushless motor. At $119 it's only $20 more than the Gen4x model.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18...041B/206955200

Once again the usual complaint, no promotion from Ridgid to even advertise they have this out there. Why not put it on their Facebook, Twitter and YouTube channels?
    Last edited by pcastleberg; 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM.

You're right about the lack of promotion. Home Depot isn't helping much in that regard, either. That's why I was shocked yesterday when I saw that my local HD actually gathered all the Ridgid cordless stuff into one location rather than stuck in random places. Of course it's on the bottom shelf, mid aisle instead of the end of aisle display Milwaukee always has.
    Jack

I've learned a lot from my past experiences.
    I've learned nothing from my passed experiences.

Comment

Yeah the from looking on Ridgid's own power tool area of their website they still don't have the following listed:
      Brushless Grinder
      Dual Bevel Cordless Miter saw
      Any of the new lights

Comment

What's really sad, is the complete lack of knowledge by the employees. It's sad when you ask a basic question, after you obviously read the box, and they start reading the box. I have better luck talking to other customers 75% of the time. I know it's not Ridgid's fault.
        They could make purchasing tools easier if you could buy directly off their website, or some other authorized online dealer. A lot of the time, I have a hard time loading HD website and getting the add to cart button to show up. Probably because of my horrible internet

Comment

My 3 "local " HDs only seem to start stocking up on Ridgid right before Thanksgiving ....there are a few cordless items I'm still waiting for .

Comment

See pics. Spotted in the wild (at a local HD)! New 18V brushless grinder and 18V brushless router. Both $119. Metro ATL area. Looks like holiday displays are starting to go up where both of these items were located.

Comment

I seen the Brushless Grinder at my local-ish HD. Funny thing is they had a display spot for the Brushless Grinder name and specs, but had the old Grinder in its display with a sale price of $80. Shows the ones who work at HD know next to nothing about their tools.

Comment

• King Dork
                King Dork commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha! I often go into my local HD just to get a laugh at some of their "tool experts" trying to explain anything useful. One time a lady was inquiring about buying a cordless drill for her husband because he wanted to build a small deck. After looking like a deer in headlights he shows her a 7.2 volt B&D drill (the one that the wall charger plugs directly into the drill with no removable battery) and tells her "I see a lot of contractors using these." Luckily she thought it would be better to get her husband a gift card and let him pick one out later. I really enjoy sending my wife in and hanging out in the next aisle. She knows almost as much about tools/uses/specs as I do and hearing her school some of them makes me quite proud (sick as it may be).

I did pick up the new brushless grinder. Mainly wanted it for sharpening mower blades, axes, and hatchets. Has worked very well so far. New narrower handle and angled battery are very comfortable in the hand.
              You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Does it seem like it has decent power?? I'm not expecting corded power, but don't want something too underpowered

Comment

• King Dork
                  King Dork commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The power seems very good for a cordless unit. Definitely not what any of my corded grinders have, but I wasn't expecting that from a cordless unit. If you're needing to grind or cut metal for an extended time corded is a no brainer. It will handle occasional cutting and grinding fine.

Sounds pretty much like I was expecting. Might pick on up for keeping in my power tool box for occasional use. Already have its first job in mind.

Comment

I picked one up yesterday and just got around to using it today. I do like the feel better than I normal grinder. The battery sits at just the right angle and right spot so that it's out of the way. Used it to sharpen some gator blades for my mower for shredding leaves, and put on a Metabo cutting wheel and sliced through a 1" flat bar easily. Obviously not nearly as good at cutting as our Metabo Fast Action cutter, but will be a great addition to the mobile tool box for light use.

Only thing I have yet to find that I dont like, is when the wheel is stopped and you spin it, whether your changing wheels or just spinning it, it has almost a ratcheting action to it. Like spinning a ratchet backwards, just clicks while turning. Does yours do the same??

Comment

• King Dork
                    King Dork commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Most brushless motors have very strong neodymium magnets which will have a "notchy" feel when turning by hand. Mine is in my job trailer on a job so I'll check it out tomorrow and report back. Expecting to find the same thing, like I said is very normal with brushless motors and shouldn't be anything to worry about.

• King Dork
                    King Dork commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Was in my truck after all. Same thing that you noticed. Nothing out of the ordinary. Brushless motors have a totally different feel than a brushed motor when turned by hand. Hope that helps ease your concerns.

• Goodtobeking
                    Goodtobeking commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thx. I figured it was normal, just wasnt expecting it to feel like that. I was thinking maybe it was a brake, but what you said makes more sense. Side note: I bought some small quarter sized neodymium magnets one time to play with. Amazing how strong those little things are. So I can see them making the "notchy" feeling

You are correct, it's often hard to get good tool advice at the big box stores. A local dealer is more often than not your best source.

Comment

Working...
                  X