Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody actually get 2 amps output from the USB charger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody actually get 2 amps output from the USB charger?

I recently purchased Ridgid's new 18v "Portable Power Source" from homedepot.com, they claim the USB port will put out 2.1 amps.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18...4830/206736727

Upon testing, I can't get more than 1 amp out of the USB port. If I plug my phone into the OEM charger it charges at nearly 2 amps, but if I put it in the Ridgid charger it drops down to just one. (I'm using an OEM Samsung cable with a newer phone that charges at 2 amps)

Has anybody else actually measured 2+ amps coming out of the USB port? Is there something wrong with my power source or is this just another case of false advertising by Ridgid?

Can you elaborate on how you are measuring the charge current?

"It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

While waiting for that answer, my "Apple" USB charger is rated at 1 amp. When I charge my Mophie USB charger on the Ridgid power source, it gets hot, so I opt for the Apple USB for a slower charge. I'm pretty sure the amp rating is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I'm pretty sure the amp rating is correct.
        How could you possibly know this without measuring??

I have a simple amp meter that plugs between the USB ports - these are very common because most phone chargers on the market these days don't put out their advertised rating. Apparently, the Ridgid charger doesn't either.

Additionally, we can simply look at the charging time - my phone has a 2500 mAh battery, and it takes roughly 2.5 hours to charge with the Ridgid charger. Obviously only charging at one amp. (1 amp times 2.5 hours = 2500mAh) With the OEM charger, it charges from zero to full in about 1.5 hours - significantly faster.
        Last edited by F357; 09-24-2016, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Go to E-bay and for 5 bucks you can purchase an inline volt and ammeter.
          Then you plug that into the Ridgid unit and your item to charge into the inline meter.
          You will then know the charging voltage and current.

By the way, what size battery are you using? If you're using a 1.5AH or 2AH rated
          battery don't expect maximum current! Also if your battery is old or not fully charged it will
          also effect the charging current. I suggest you use an 18V 4AH or 5AH battery for the USB
          charger.

The USB charger is a simple circuit so it does not do a lot of regulation.
          I bet it's similar to the cheap E-bay USB type chargers. Also I suspect the only sophistication
          is the 8 hour timer circuit. I have not opened my unit and don't plan to do so at any time.

Cactus Man
          Last edited by cactusman; 09-25-2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
            Go to E-bay and for 5 bucks you can purchase an inline volt and ammeter.
            Then you plug that into the Ridgid unit and your item to charge into the inline meter.
            You will then know the charging voltage and current.
            Yes, I already have one as I explained above. The highest reading I've seen was 1.10 amps.

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
            If you're using a 1.5AH or 2AH rated
            battery don't expect maximum current! Also if your battery is old or not fully charged it will
            also effect the charging current. I suggest you use an 18V 4AH or 5AH battery for the USB
            charger.
            Complete nonsense! First of all, I bought this as a package deal with a 2AH battery and a 2.1 amp rated USB charger, obviously it should output the 2.1 amps with the included 2AH battery. Secondly, I have tried it with other, larger batteries and it has no different effect. The USB charger is a tiny power draw compared to any power tool, it doesn't matter what size 18v battery you are using, it should never effect the amp output. It should either work at 2.1 amps or stop working because it's dead.

Comment

Found them on Amazon. Not too expensive.
              Looks like a handy tool to have on hand.
              There are a number of them with different features.
              I just ordered a bunch for stocking stuffers for Christmas.
              One seller offered a 20% discount if you buy 5 or more.

----

Comment

Yes, they are very handy. Almost no charger that isn't made by a fancy OEM puts out the advertised rating. A lot of counterfeit Apple/Samsung power supplies out there also. Most people would never know until they plug it into an amp meter, so they get away with it.

When I get more time I'll open up the Ridgid USB charger - if possible I'll just replace the 18v-5v step down circuit with a better one. But I'm real disappointed with Ridgid, again...

Comment

I read somewhere that the Samsung OEM charger has a special driver that negotiates a full 2A for a connected Samsung phone. So it's possible that your Ridgid USB power supply has the capacity to supply 2A, but there's something in the Samsung phone which reverts to a lower current draw when it doesn't recognize a Samsung OEM supply and thinks you have it connected to a generic charger.

The definitive test is to connect your Ridgid USB power supply to a USB load tester where you can draw exactly 2A (these USB load testers are also available cheaply on eBay). If you're an electronics hobbyist (like me), you might have parts in your jelly bean box like a 2.5 ohm resistor (rated for 13W+) that would also work as a dummy 2A load.
                  Last edited by AverageHomeowner; 09-27-2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I think to get the higher charge rate on the Galaxy phones you have to
                    use the Samsung cable which is slightly different than a standard mini USB.

The cable that came with my Note 3 looks like this and the manual says you
                    need to use it to get the higher charge rate.

----

Comment

I think even if it works with a 2 amp dummy load that is a FAIL on Ridgid's part. It's meant to be a 2 amp phone charger, not a 2 amp dummy load tester. I've used this phone and amp meter to test many other chargers - most of them not OEM, and a good quality charger always hits the 2 amp mark with the phone, even if it is not Samsung branded.

An additional problem with this device is the single USB port, even the cheapest $0.89 chinese car chargers come with 2 USB ports. Most smaller/older devices only charge at 1 amp max, and, if you had two of those you could easily plug in two items to charge at once if it actually output the 2 amps claimed. Fail again, Ridgid...

Comment

"..a good quality charger always hits the 2 amp mark with the phone, even if it is not Samsung branded."

Always hits the 2A mark? That may be true IF the charger first has to be designed to output that much
                        current. Not all are and that does not make them junk. Probably slightly less cost involved in making
                        chargers that output less current, so for other than premium phones they may be the charger supplied
                        with the phone. You want faster charging spend more money and buy a higher output charger. Every
                        wall wart I've seen will give you the output voltage and current on that tiny label. You might need a
                        microscope to read it but its there and many are only 1.0A output.

----

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          Always hits the 2A mark? That may be true IF the charger first has to be designed to output that much
                          current.
                          Right, and according to the advertising information from Ridgid, their charger is supposed to be capable of this. Yes, a lot of the cheaper ones labeled 2 amps only put out around 1.75 amps, which isn't bad, but better than Ridgid and closer to what's advertised.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          You want faster charging spend more money and buy a higher output charger. Every
                          wall wart I've seen will give you the output voltage and current on that tiny label. You might need a
                          microscope to read it but its there and many are only 1.0A output.
                          Yeah, I spent $70 on this charger kit from Ridgid, I should expect fast charging right? At least as advertised?

Yes, all wall warts are labeled, but that's the problem, many of them don't meet the specifications on the label. Nobody is watching the garbage chargers that come out of china by the ton, and therefore, most do not meet the label rating unless made by a fancy OEM.

Comment

I've never measured the output on mine, because, frankly, I don't care. It charges my phone, tablet and credit card reader with no problems. The phone and tablet both give me warnings telling me that the device is charging slow whenever it's hooked up to a 1A or so source. I've not received this warning with this tool.
                            Maybe you have a defective one. My advice is to return it for another before you take it apart and eliminate the option of ever returning it.
                            Jack

I've learned a lot from my past experiences.
                            I've learned nothing from my passed experiences.

Comment

• Frankiarmz
                              Frankiarmz commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Exactly what I thought.

• Frankiarmz
                              Frankiarmz commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Exactly what I thought.
                          Working...
                          X