X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cordless tools???humm

well it is me again, as of right now i am thinking about taking 3-4 of my guys to do punch out work for me. i do it now so i can keep better tabs on what my guys are doing, but now my time is getting very very thin.i have always suppied the tools for my crews(power tools that is). and i have 5 crews so yes i have alot of tools but i have never needed any cordless tools till now,i have a hard time justifing getting another generater 2-3 100'cords, ect.so now i am in the game for cordless this is what they will be used for cutting 2x4 and 2x6s plywood and osb scewing fire stops in and door higes maybe to cut a wall loose for a change/upgrade these guys should only take about a day to do most of this work if you all think ridgid is what i need then that is what i will get or porter cable or milwalkee or if i need one tool from each that is fine also i dont abuse them and my guys dont either because they know if they do they know where to pick up there check. nothing like telling 5 men to go home because one broke the tools up but i know some of you guys out there like dewalt but please do not recomend them to me please
    9/11/01, never forget.

IF You are going to be away from the charger and have heavy demands milwakee will give better service
    ridgid is good for med usage i use my mil with 5/8 metal drill time after time and sawzall to cut 8" channel without batt change.
    hope this helps now use ridgid for med use my mil stuff is over 3 years old batts dead. but tools still good.

Comment

If you are paying your crew to do professional work and they will be doing a lot of work then check out Milwaukees 28v Lithium Ion battery tools.

Ridgid seems to be geared well for the heavy DIY market but from the posts here it seems like the tools spend a lot of time in the shop. It doesnt hurt to be in the shop if the project can wait a week or so, but if you have a punch list crew and your completion money depends on them getting finished then you can't have tools sitting in the shop all the time.

Dewalt had a huge lead in cordless sales volume but the color yellow is less prevelant today than just 18 months ago. Their 18v grinder is the worst tool I have ever used, absolutely horrible. And you still see very few orange tools on heavy work sites. PCs reciprocater is far to bulky to be practical for repairs and retro work.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Dont buy the Milwaukee 28volt stuff.....well you can if you want to spend close to a thousand dollars! If you are looking for a recip saw, buy the Makita AVT, it is the newest to the recips market and is going to take the market. If you are looking to buy cordless drills, buy the Makita MXT, they have 560 inch lbs. Now if you want impacts, buy the Makita impacts...all I have to say on that is they have been making impacts since 88' and still lead the market is impacts!! BUY MAKITA!!!!!

Comment

oh and by the way,..............DeWalt SUCKS!!! Sorry had to mention that! Dont buy that crap!

Comment

Oldslowchevy,

The 28v is about 30 to 40 percent higher than the 18v tools. Still several hundred under a grand. For professional use the red tools 28v has no equal and is second to nobody. The last cut is as strong and fast as the first cut. If you are counting on professional results with minimum time the green tools are not your ticket.

NICAD and NIMH batteries lose a lot of power over the cycle of each charge and each cut is weaker than the previous one. It doesn't matter what brand you have including the red Nicads, they all lose a lot of power over the cycle. The 28v Lithium Ion lasts about twice as long and gives you about 50% more power. Its well worth a look. Most Milwaukee cordless tools are made in the USA.

Comment

Yes Makita may have been making impacts since '88, but Hitachi made the first!

I confess that i am a green man now.....after being a yella man before that.....but the Hitachi Impact drivers and wrenches are a step above the makita and dewalt.

Comment

I don't know why so many here think that Ridgid tools aren't up to par for "professional" use?!

I use and have been using mt Ridgid power hand tools for 1 1/2 years now without any problems.

I do historic renovation & restoration work and build custom log homes.

The only other cordless power tools I use are Bosch 24v.

My Ridgid have enough extra batteries that there is always extras, fully charged and on-hand ready to use. Same with the Bosch.

The nice thing about the Bosch is that they only take 15 min. to re-charge.

Milwaukee are WAYYYYYYYYY over-priced.

With Ridgid's new lifetime warranty and free lifetime battery replacement you can't go wrong!!

[ 06-28-2005, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: CARPENTERDON ]
                Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

www.hilti.com

you will not be dissapointed!
                  \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Carpenterdon----all you have to do is search the pages of this forum to see why a pro shouldn't buy Ridgid cordless tools.

Old----I visit a lot of job sites and while DeWalt makes it's presence known-----when I see the chargers lined up, vast majority are Makita.
                    Dave

Comment

ok guys thanks for the help. this is what i just bought, 1 ridgid kit(1/2 drill, saw, sawsall, flash light, and two extra batterys) 1 maktia kit(drill, saw, sawsall, jigsaw, flash light and 2 extra batterys) the reasons are simple enough they are both 18 volt. if in the frist 90 days if i don't like the ridgid i can return them (if that happens then i might spend the extra $360 to get the millwalkee) they seem to be well built and feel good in my hands, and carpenter don is 100% right it is hard to pass up on a life time warranty on cordless tools. i also got the maktia's on a great sale for $299,99, also when i was a kid i did buy a maktia 3/8 9.6v drill and i still have it .(14 years old and i still have the same batterys and chargger) so hopefully these will be the trick for what i will need for the jobs they will be doing, and thank you all for the help that you all have giving me oh and space blue i really did like the hilti's but at this point in time they may be just a bit to much for me and for the price i am not sure if i would like my guys using them. they do know not to abuse them but what happens when i'm not around scares me .
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Old---you reminded me----I have a 15 year old Makita 9.6v impact driver. When my wife bought me a 14.4v Makita drill, the impact driver tended to get shoved to the back of the drawer---but I dug it out the other day and recharded the batteries-----it was still going strong, and had seen an aweful lot of work previously.
                        Dave

Comment

Oldslowchevy,

Hope your purchase works for you. Don't be to hard on your guys if a tool breaks, that happens whatever brand you use. If a guy is working hard sometimes things happen, and tools are just tools after all. One can spend all day babysitting his tools or one can spend all day working his tools.

Comment

In my opinion, if you are doing heavy work, ie. 5 to 6 hours of cutting or drilling, get the cords out. But for medium to lighter work, particularly drilling, cordless is great.

My favorite is Milwaukee. Like their electric tools they seem to hold up the best. I, personally, do not recommend Dewalt, Black & Decker, or Ridgid when it comes to cordless tools.

My suggestion, would be to buy one set of quality cordless tools, and give them a run with an employee. Ask his opinion, and judge his productivity as opposed to the electric tools he used before.

One piece of advice is that all cordless saws, of any kind, are lacking in endurance if used extensivly.
                            the dog

Comment

I still have a hard time believing that Makita has made or ever will make a recip saw that can outperform a milwaukee. I just don't see it.

Makita was no doubt one of the pioneers in the cordless tool world, and I own several of their tools with a cord attached. But my recip saw, is now, always has been, and always will be a milwaukee. If this one ever dies (so far it is 8 years old, and I don't use it every day, but when it is necessary to get pulled out, it is put to work), and if it ever dies, it will be replaced with a milwaukee! They have always been hands down the leader in the field of recip saws. Sure you can get a disposable 99 dollar one (or less) and get a few years use out of it, or you can buy it once and never have to replace it. I have a neighbor that has an antique milwaukee. He retired from the railroad worked first as a general laborer and then a pipe fitter. His mil electric has seen some use, it has been patched up time and time again, he has had it for over 20 years and it is still going strong. Now he collects his pension and collects scrap. It sees quite a bit of use cutting down scrap metal to make the pieces more managable/removing copper and the coils from air conditioner units and such. I saw it sitting in his garage one day and thought he picked it up as scrap, the thing still goes strong today. I doubt 20 years from now, any makita recip saw will still be in use. I could be wrong!
                              \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
                              X