X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwealt Or Ridgid Miter Saw

I am current shopping for a 12 sliding miter saw and i have all Dewalt power tools and love them but i have started looking at Ridgid more closley lately. I like both the Dewalt and Ridgid 12 sliding miter saw and dont care about price so i need to know which one to buy. I am mostley interested in accuracy. Can anybody give me any suggestions?

I've used the 12" Dewalt for the past 7 years. I have the original design. With few exceptions it has never let me down. The tool is used in both framing and trim work. I am careful to keep it aligned and use the proper blade. The two things that come to mind are that it is not the greatest with dust removal(few are) and it has a tendency to tip to the rear when fully inserted. The outriggers help but not 100%. Keep in mind the new design may address these issues. I know they changed the dust shute. I've read good things about the Ridgid but have no personal knowledge.If and when I purchase a new SM, I will look at the 10" as opposed to 12" as from my experience and use I can't justify the defference. Unless you have specialized needs a 10" SM will do just fine and alot less expensive and much lighter to lug around.
    DMB

Comment

The Dewalt sliding miter saw is still assembled here in the USA.

The Ridgid sliding Miter saw is made and assembled in Communist China where they have nuclear missles aimed at our country.

Sould be all the information an American needs.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I will be using the saw for extremly accurate cuts on wide material so the saw need to be accurate. Are there any differances in accuracy? I have dewalt stuff and like it but ridgid is cheaper, larger table, and included clamp.

Comment

dont buy either, if you want a DAMN GOOD SLIDING MITRE, you must buy the Makita LS1013, or the LS1212. they beat all others hands down....just read the reviews!

The yellow is a piece of @#$%.....not kidding it tips over, it isnt designed well thats why they give you the bar to stablelize it....just go look at a Makita slider compared to the rest and I guarentee you will buy the Makita!!!!!!!

Comment

I love my DeWalt 12" Slider. I have had it for 5 years, no problems, and is accurate as anything.

I was helpin my buddy shop for a 12" slider, and we were also questioning the ridgid. if you look at the rigid, it seems cheaper in design (the plastic clamp)and WAY too heavy.

I love ridgid, but their miters aren't up to par.

Comment

I love my ridgid sliding miter saw I use it all the time. I looked at the $h!ty yellow one just to laugh at it.
              Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

look at the reviews of sliding miters and that will tell you something close of what to buy! Buy what you feel you like and dont buy more than you need. If I was to buy another (which I am going to real real soon) I would buy the LS1013L (laser). I already have the Makita LS1013. And it is the most accurate saw on the market...just look at the reviews.......but buy what you need not more than you need!!

Comment

What type of laser system does the Makita come with, washer style or adjustable?
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Packers,

I've read rave reviews for the Makita, but think the new Hitachi may give them some stiff competition:

Hitachi

Bob R

Comment

badger, and bob,

the lasers on the makita's have a adjustable laser. you can eiher set the laser, to the left of the blade, right of the blade or right in-line of the blade. Also you can have the laser on without the motor running. I love mine and wouldnt give it up!
                      Thanx....

Comment

I'm glad to hear that Makita went with an adjustable laser. IF it can be adjusted to acutally project a line on the cutline then I doubt if you could find a better SCMS that the LS1013. Some may be as good but I doubt if they're better.

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but I just received a DVD from DeWalt announcing their new 12" miter saws. Anyone had a chance to check any of these new saws out yet? Local HD here doesn't have any of the new ones on the shelf yet.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Packers,

The laser on the Hitachi is also adjustable and the bevel angles also have a micro-adjustment feature. Here's the description from the manufacturer as shown on Amazon's site:

"Product Description
                          From the Manufacturer
                          Here is the saw that is going to revolutionize the sliding compound miter saw market! Hitachi has designed the most advanced slide rail system ever that allows the saw to be placed snug to a wall. The slide rails are fixed and do not extend out from tool during the cut. The ultimate space saver. The C12LSH also has a top mounted, LCD digital display for miter and bevel readings. This LCD digital display along with the exclusive laser marker eliminates all guess work for the most accurate cuts. The laser is fully adjustable so you can dial in your preferred setting. Besides all this, perhaps the best feature on this tool is the micro bevel adjustment. This dial allows the user to fine tune the bevel angle with ease to eliminate costly mistakes. The C12LSH is powered by a heavy duty 15 amp belt driven motor."

Bob R

Comment

Working...
                          X